Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

How brilliant is this! Snow arriving hours early, left work in Tamworth 5.30 to steady snow, loved the journey in a blizzard to home nr Tutbury & still coming down! I'm a cat on hot bricks dashing to windows etc hoping for a snow day off work tomorrow to play & wildlife watch. Enjoy it everyone if you can!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Been snowing on and off (mostly on) for the past 4 hours in Northampton. Only very light now but enough to give a slight covering on top of some of the existing snow from Monday's snowfall. Now we're ready for the next few days. Hope we get a good few inches from tomorrow's event here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Evening all!!!!

What a lovely surprise this afternoon!!! A few flakes at about 3pm, turned into some steady, if light, snowfall which lasted till about an hour ago, there is still the odd flake around in the air though smile.png Side roads and pavements have a nice little dusting on them now!!

I'm getting ready for tomorrow though! Any idea what the accumulations are likely to be?

I'm really thinking, it's gonna look ok in the morning for travelling to work, but I think I'm not going to drive tomorrow!!! No point in getting stuck!!!!

The snow is likely to arrive a little later than most people will be leaving for work in East Midlands, the most significant snow after 9am. I don't predict many issues getting to work, getting back may be a different story though.

We're looking at anywhere from 3 to 10cm depending on where abouts you are and pot luck on the day.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Seriously, I've only just noticed that I'm under the Amber warning for tomorrow, yet the Meto only have us down for light snow?

Think they are trying to wind me up.

Posted

Seriously, I've only just noticed that I'm under the Amber warning for tomorrow, yet the Meto only have us down for light snow?

don't worry, it'll change, they usually spread the warnings at the last minute and after tonight, you can probably see why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I am under amber as well, and gives me light snow

Posted

It's a shame the 'main event' is happening during the day tomorrow as it will be more difficult for the snow to stick with all the people and traffic around. Pity it's not happening overnight and continuing during the day tomorrow. If the snow is light then it will just be wet surfaces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

What the met warning says for us

Accumulations of snow will be very variable in the east, with 2-5 cm in places and possibly 10 cm above 200 metres, whilst heavier falls are expected across southern, central and western areas, with 10-15 cm or more possible in some areas. This warning should be viewed alongside other warnings issued for Friday.

Sounds to me like 10cm is a real possibility for many of us, on top of the few cms we've had tonight smile.png (particularly in northants for an IMBY perspective)

Edited by weatherguy

Posted

It will come in between 1-2pm by the looks of it. But it gets blown to the West only to be replaced by snow showers from the East. Snow from the east is always better than the west for us I always feel so going to get hit by both tomorrow/tomorrow night and into Saturday. Quiet on Sunday.

Posted

I am under amber as well, and gives me light snow

Just looked at the NMM. and nothing heavy.

don't worry, it'll change, they usually spread the warnings at the last minute and after tonight, you can probably see why?

Yes mate, could pep up as it hits the colder air over this side?

Posted

We've had 3-4in of lying snow since Monday, its frozen - going nowhere fast! The main roads are clear but the side roads and pavements are like ice rinks. Add to this whatever we've had today and will get tomorrow and locally we'll have quite an accumulation.

Posted

It's a shame the 'main event' is happening during the day tomorrow as it will be more difficult for the snow to stick with all the people and traffic around. Pity it's not happening overnight and continuing during the day tomorrow. If the snow is light then it will just be wet surfaces.

Look at the meto site, we are down for snow Tomorrow, Saturday, some on Sunday and Monday. It will stick..good.gif

Edit : they say 5cm for sunday and for Monday.

Edited by lancs_northants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

6YRip.png

Here's my prediction for you guys- the further west, the better, but everywhere should see something.

Note this is for 0000 Fri to 0000 Sat, expect further snow on Sat and Sun to add on just as much if not more in the east.

Posted

Look at the meto site, we are down for snow Tomorrow, Saturday, some on Sunday and Monday. It will stick..good.gif

Sorry for sounding like a doom monger, I just want the snow we get to stick and not just fall onto wet surfaces. that would be such a waste. Northampton town is in the amber zone (I think) at the moment so do you think we'll be in with a chance of getting decent heavy snow in the next 24/48 hours?

Posted

6YRip.png

Here's my prediction for you guys- the further west, the better, but everywhere should see something.

Note this is for 0000 Fri to 0000 Sat, expect further snow on Sat and Sun to add on just as much if not more in the east.

Can you move that 15-25cm about 5 miles east please...

Sorry for sounding like a doom monger, I just want the snow we get to stick and not just fall onto wet surfaces. that would be such a waste. Northampton town is in the amber zone (I think) at the moment so do you think we'll be in with a chance of getting decent heavy snow in the next 24/48 hours?

Your not a doom monger, call it pre-snowfall nerves good.gif we all suffer from it.rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its still snowing here, albeit light. Struggling to stick on the very busy main road but out the back there is a complete blanket again now. If it is like this in the centre of town, I bet there is quite a bit accumulating on the higher parts. Considering there was already about 5cm there, we could be knocking on for 3 inches (7cm). And there is more to come overnight and again tomorrow, Sat, Sun and Mon :)

Edit: Met Office now have heavy snow symbol for tomorrow afternoon across the western portion of the East Midlands.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Tonight has been amazing! Been snowing here since 3-4pm and there looks to be around 5cm fresh snow on the pavements and grass. Its mostly beeb light snow since 7:30pm but 20 mins ago we had a heavier burst again. I'd love it if this precip just stayed around till morning and then the 2nd band came in. That'd be great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well tonight's event goes to prove why we are all so addicted to the weather, well snow!. Everyone savour the next few days whatever pans out.

We have had light snow from since 430ish, with heavier outbursts mixed in. I just don't know what to say or think about the next 24hrs it could be very special.

How many schools will be shut in the morning?

Posted

Its still snowing here, albeit light. Struggling to stick on the very busy main road but out the back there is a complete blanket again now. If it is like this in the centre of town, I bet there is quite a bit accumulating on the higher parts. Considering there was already about 5cm there, we could be knocking on for 3 inches (7cm). And there is more to come overnight and again tomorrow, Sat, Sun and Mon :)

So that means leicester!!!ðŸ˜

Edit: Met Office now have heavy snow symbol for tomorrow afternoon across the western portion of the East Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tonight has been amazing! Been snowing here since 3-4pm and there looks to be around 5cm fresh snow on the pavements and grass. Its mostly beeb light snow since 7:30pm but 20 mins ago we had a heavier burst again. I'd love it if this precip just stayed around till morning and then the 2nd band came in. That'd be great.

Great to see u back Andy, As u say tonight is quite special,

Posted

Derbyshire?? still saying light snow for Northampton. would class us as west of the east mids.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Actually it looks to be Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire with the heavy snow symbol (my apologies for the misinformation), but I wouldn't take them too literally as they will change. I expect a wider area of the East Midlands to be being forecasted heavy snow by the morning. To be honest, tomorrows snow is only the beginning for us. Afterwards we are open to snow shower after snow shower throughout Fri Night, Saturday and Sunday. I would not be surprised to see our region get an Amber warning tomorrow (hoping).

Edited by Supacell