Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This is forecast to stay all night??!! It's absolutely teeming down with snow here at the moment, 50p sized flakes, no word of a lie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

You jammy lot, enjoy :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This is forecast to stay all night??!! It's absolutely teeming down with snow here at the moment, 50p sized flakes, no word of a lie.

lucky you Andy, I think I am too far west, its snowing but light

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Just drove home from work at East Midlands Airport, down the M1. Snow got progressively heavier the further into leicester I got. It's coming down pretty steady now, perhaps not 50p sized flakes but plenty of 20p size flakes with the occasional 50p mixed in. About 1 or 2cm now, starting to stick on the side roads quite well, busy main roads are kept warm during rush hour so they are just very wet at the moment so no issues at all with the drive.

Can't believe where this came from. If MetO can't even predict this at all, then it does make me wonder how good they really are at forecasting..

edit:

Just checked the radar. Wow! where the heck did this form from ? I remember a similar event a while back, though that one was actually predicted.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

enjoy folks- Estimates if it remains stationary ~ 5cm.

S

Thanks Steve. So 5cm, plus the 10cm that occur tomorrow and we could have 15cm by the end of tomorrow. Considering there will be no melting over the snow fields, further snow showers on Sat and Sun will then add to this. Following on is another snow event on Monday! From feeling down this morning I am now feeling quite excited drinks.gif

Posted

By my husband's reckoning we've got nearly 2cm already on the car and snowing fast and steady some 50p ones coming down. So glad after all the doom and gloom in here that this is happening - really exciting.

Why haven't the met office updated this on their website?

Posted

If it continues as heavy as this all night then we will have had our 5cm quota before tomorrows snow band reaches us smile.png

don't know if i can trust the forecast though, i'm sure it took them by surprise just as much as us, who knows whats gonna happen with tonights band, best everyone just sticks to the radar.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy snow here now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

don't know if i can trust the forecast though, i'm sure it took them by surprise just as much as us, who knows whats gonna happen with tonights band, best everyone just sticks to the radar.

The thing with convergence zones is that they can sit in situ for long periods of time. A similar thing happened last winter (December) when I was living in Yorkshire. There was no snow forecast and when I woke up there was 6 inches of snow on the ground, it had all melted by lunch though but we weren't under a sub-zero block at that point.

Not expecting anything like that amount by the morning, but by the end of tomorrow 6 inches could be possible for some of us. Having said that, anything is possible :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted

I'm in Oadby / Stoneygate and the snow flakes around 10p size. I'm hoping the 50p size are on the way! :p

Am in oadby aswell near the A6!!jus moderate stuff ryt now!!

Posted

Still snowing here, has been heavier since around 3pm. I'd say we've had 2-3cm today.

Anybody seen the latest fax charts!!this front just sits stagnant over the midlands for the next 48 hours !!😃

How much can we expect?

Posted

Slowing down for me now. Less flakes, 5p in size.

Same here.

I can't complain, considering I wasn't expecting any snow at all today - so all this is just a bonus! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Just 15 miles? Please???? Currently one flake a minute here!!

Posted

I still don't think either the BBC or METO are truly appreciating what is going on TONIGHT, let alone tomorrow. Accumulation is already about 3/4cm here. If it continues like this it could easily be 10cm before the "main band" hits.