Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Not much weather talking in here. Getting a bit personal . Raining still Bexhill x;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

we got around 4cm of laying snow in Hatfield Hertfordshire. very wet snow tho. has stopped now are we expecting anymore tonight??

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

SussexMark- the upper level steering winds are not condusive for snow showers moving west that far on tues + weds-

Thanks Steve. I'd gathered than from your post. Was just surprised the 'experts' hadn't worked that one out less than 24 hours ago. Thanks for all your useful updates, by the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

Its called reality, rather than hoping something will happen and saying it will i choose to actually put facts together and come up with a factual answer

Its not hard

Just likeyday when some were saying 'expect upgrades yay' and getting hopes up of those on the forum i asked for some reality and to actually look at what was happening and would you know it, look what happened, nothing....

Now where's that ignore button again? lazy.gif

Posted

Plainly clear?! right. yesterday all day i was banging on about this warm sector, trying to warn people, but i got hit with upgrade this dont worry about that etc...... yet i was right, people need a dose of reality

ps. sense of humour breakdown?!

Ok an easy one for you then

I have 3 kids banging on at me asking wether it is going to snow tonight from this wrap around thingy, clearly us other lot who ramped up the potential have not got a clue, any chance you could put something together for us please, just outlining wether we can expect anything tonight, some charts would be nice if you could manage that.

Coming from you I think it would put the kids minds at ease, they want a day off school you see!

And that will be the last I say on this matter Robin and AJ! Pwomise!

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

we got around 4cm of laying snow in Hatfield Hertfordshire. very wet snow tho. has stopped now are we expecting anymore tonight??

Surely you should be in the 3 counties page asking that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

What are the chances for snow south london thank you

Two Chances

1)None

2)F All

Posted

Stopped here just over an hour ago and the sun came out - so amazing with every branch covered in snow and a bit of mist. We had snow all the way through from 10.30am to 3pm- no sleet or rain.

Very happy as it has made everything look beautiful but the roads are relatively clear now although the side roads were a bit treacherous for a while. If it freezes overnight the school run will be tricky in the morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

http://www.meteociel...96-21.GIF?14-17

UKMO 96 smile.png--- getting colder daily for 4 days-

SussexMark- the upper level steering winds are not condusive for snow showers moving west that far on tues + weds-

http://www.meteociel...20-21.GIF?14-17

AWSOME ukmo update again- bitter for the rest of the week with increasing chances of snow... very cold overnight.

S

Just for once can we please see these charts actually materialise, it would be epic , but after today i need to take a step back, after spending a week chasing these fantastic looking charts , im exhausted and need sleep..

Posted

anyone know if it'll snow in central London tonight? Seen some snow around today but only a small amount landed but melted very quickly. Just rained also.

Posted

Thankfully people like John Pike

Steve M and other very good posters including our friend coast are not put off by the trolls.

This will turn into an exceptional bit of cold weather hopefully reaching new heights of excitement.

Keep up the great informative posts that you are doing for us

Posted

temp 3C dew 3C, Met office forecasting heavy snow over night for my location. On a positive note at least the temps look cold for the rest of this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Those showers to our North-West aren't doing too badly at all.. I hope the temperatures can drop enough for them to fall as snow if they do get here!

Posted

Met office app says heavy snow @ 3am I do hope so but I will not be staying up to see(Bexhill)

Posted

Does that include me in Bexhill yamkin. :-)

ppn is headed towards SE direction which includes Bexhill.

Let's see the ppn get closer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I said that this was going to be a Thames north snow event and it has been , I also said that the blob last night which was heading towards south London Kent would veer south and clip Herne bay down towards Folkestone and it did , the wrap around tonight looks like clipping west London maybe as far as heathrow and giving about 2-4 cm at best

so would you be expecting herts to get some action out of this?? thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just to reiterate, can we please knock the 'troll' comments on the head, as all it does is cause grief in the thread.....If any member wishes to query any questionable content in a post then hit the 'Report' button and let a member of the site team deal with the issue.....ta!

Posted

Oh dear.......

Met Office raises alert level and issues severe weather warnings as Britain braces for icy blast and heaviest snowfall in years

The Met Office has raised the alert level to three, which is just one step below a national emergency

The heaviest snowfall Britain has experienced for years is set to blanket the country in white as a band of freezing weather sweeps across the country. Up to 10cm of snow is expected to fall in some places, raising fears of widespread transport disruption on roads, rail and at airports. Forecasters have issued severe weather warnings across the UK, and a band of snow is expected to run eastern Scotland, down through eastern and central England and into London during rush-hour.

The Met Office has raised the alert level to three, which is just one step below a national emergency. Forecasters say the icy conditions could last until Friday morning. Britain is likely to be experiencing colder temperatures than Lapland by Wednesday morning. This morning much of the country awoke to a light dusting of snow, but there was little disruption.

The heaviest snowfall overnight was in Nottingham, across the Pennines and in Scotalnd. Some schools in Leicestershire and Rutland, were closed this morning. Commuters have been warned to expect disruption during this evening with heavy snow expected to make travel conditions difficult across a swathe of the UK. The Met Office says its 'cold weather action' warning is at level three and indicates that: 'This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services.' A number of yellow and amber warnings are also in place across the country to highlight the hazardous conditions and likelihood of disruption to travel services caused by the ice, snow and freezing temperatures.

The heaviest snow of up to 4in (10cm) will fall in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and east Anglia, while central England will widely see up to 2in (5cm) with temperatures hovering around 1C (33.8F). Matt Dobson, senior forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "We have two bands of snow to worry about today. The first is over south east England and East Anglia this morning but it is coming down quite slowly and it's light.

"There is another band of rain, sleet and snow, moving out of eastern Scotland across north west England and Wales and moving south east all the time. "If you draw a line from Manchester to London, south and west of the line there will be mainly rain and sleet. North and east of that line it will fall mainly as sleet and snow. "Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and East Anglia, they are going to get the worst."

The band of snow is expected to stall overnight, bringing a risk of further falls in Norfolk and Suffolk, but the rest of the country should see a dry Tuesday, Mr Dobson added. The AA has warned that 75% of drivers are not prepared for conditions on the roads, and urged drivers to carry an essential winter kit and check their cars before getting behind the wheel.

The RAC is expecting up to 56,000 breakdowns and widespread disruption. It has placed extra patrols on stand-by to help stranded motorists and said call-outs are expected to rise by 20% or more. The bad weather also hit some rail services, although not all the problems encountered by commuters today were weather-related. Poor conditions led to delays to First Capital Connect services between London and Cambridge. Over-running engineering work also led to hold-ups to Greater Anglia services between Ilford and Shenfield in Essex, while a signalling problem at Stourbridge Junction in the West Midlands led to delays to services between Kidderminster and the aptly-named Birmingham Snow Hill.

Also in the West Midlands, a broken-down freight train near Bloxwith led to delays to London Midland services between Rugeley Trent Valley and Birmingham New Street. Further north, a signalling problem at Eccles led to delays to trains between Manchester Piccadilly/Manchester Victoria and Newton-le-Willow

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/met-office-raises-alert-level-and-issues-severe-weather-warnings-as-britain-braces-for-icy-blast-and-heaviest-snowfall-in-years-8450070.html

Posted

Those showers to our North-West aren't doing too badly at all.. I hope the temperatures can drop enough for them to fall as snow if they do get here!

what are they falling as now? we'll be lucky if they make it here. could be interesting if they do, temps and DP'S dropping off again

Posted

Lovely sunset from M4 at Heathrow and car temperature showing 2 degrees all the way back to Surbiton. Thanks to all the nice posters here who take the time to do excellent summaries of their well-informed views. At times like this when we get the actual cold in place I spend much more time in this regional thread trying to work out what will happen in the next few days - obviously hoping for snow! - rather than take on the exhausting emotions of the MDT some of whom seem to be waiting to tell me when it will all break down at +300!