Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 15/01/13 12z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Southampton, especially near Kate's abode.......balmy, almost sub-tropical....with a UV index of 8, get the sun cream out! wink.png

doh.gif or bomb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Wow I pop out to the dentist and all hell has broken loose in here!! What have I missed?

Am I going to be snowed in with 10 feet of snow??? Am I going to be able to build a snowman in the strangest place to beat mullander???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

O am i reading this write that there is low probablity of snow in south/southwest on Friday?

If you're reading it right and getting that, then I'm reading it very wrong......there'd be nothing unusual there though, I get a lot wrong. I do think the general idea at the moment is we may get a bit more snow than our fair share.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Southampton, especially near Kate's abode.......balmy, almost sub-tropical....with a UV index of 8, get the sun cream out! wink.png

kate-middleton-bikini-whites.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Is it me or do projected temperatures for Thursday look a tad too high to simply be followed by a snowmageddon?

Posted

Hello Everyone,

1st post from a total newbie to weather..... well not to weather in general obviously.... just the "sciencey" (not sure if thats a word, but it should be) bit that makes it happen!

Absolutely fascinated with the posts of this forum, even from those that profess to being complete novices. Really interesting to read all of your comments, views and opinions, in what is clearly a forecasters nightmare, for even the most seasoned of professionals, by the look of it. It would appear our own Ian Ferguson is extremely well regarded and rightly so, he seems to pitch everything right with the right amount of explanation behind his forecasts, without baffling us with terms we dont understand. I, for one have learned more in the last week by reading these forums that I ever learned in my science lessons at school.

Obviously, hoping that we get some proper winter weather as does everyone on here by the sounds of it, instead of the continual wall of rain we have had, for what seems like forever. So looking forward to the 12z from ECM and UKMO (is that right?) this later today.....

Keep up the good work - especially you IanF!

Rachel

Welcome aboard the madhouse, Rachel.

Please can you update your profile to show your location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

If you're reading it right and getting that, then I'm reading it very wrong......there'd be nothing unusual there though, I get a lot wrong. I do think the general idea at the moment is we may get a bit more snow than our fair share.

Well that is a lot then! Depends how SW you are, currently I think places east and north of Taunton should get snow, again duration and intensity is unknown, but things can still change. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

We got up to a high of 4.5c today. Now 2.8c and dp of -2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Like I often say to my sister when it comes identifying birdies in her garden, you know a lot more than you think you know.

Same applies to anything, as in the on-topic topicc in question, the weather.

I enjoy following the basics, gtltw, but my day job is challenging enough, academically, and to be honest I have had chronic fatigue syndrome this year (thanks to catching glandular fever off my 15 year-old - thanks, son!) which has made me quite thick-headed and it has been really difficult just to keep up with what I've got to do. Otherwise I would certainly enjoy spending a lot more time trying to understand the more techy stuff. In the meantime I just enjoy trying to translate what you lot are saying into plain English. Anyway, that's probably more appropriate to a different forum, lol!

2.1C and falling, DP -3.4C and rising, humidity 67% and rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Is it me or do projected temperatures for Thursday look a tad too high to simply be followed by a snowmageddon?

No because as the low undetcuts it will pull in colder air from East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Gorgeous hot sunny days

Welcome aboard the madhouse, Rachel.

Please can you update your profile to show your location.

So sorry - updated!

Posted

I enjoy following the basics, gtltw, but my day job is challenging enough, academically, and to be honest I have had chronic fatigue syndrome this year (thanks to catching glandular fever off my 15 year-old - thanks, son!) which has made me quite thick-headed and it has been really difficult just to keep up with what I've got to do. Otherwise I would certainly enjoy spending a lot more time trying to understand the more techy stuff. In the meantime I just enjoy trying to translate what you lot are saying into plain English. Anyway, that's probably more appropriate to a different forum, lol!

2.1C and falling, DP -3.4C and rising, humidity 67% and rising.

At least you're still talking to me, after posting the pictures above. rofl.gif

*I can feel a lawsuit coming, I'm going into hiding for a few hours

Posted

Hello Everyone,

1st post from a total newbie to weather..... well not to weather in general obviously.... just the "sciencey" (not sure if thats a word, but it should be) bit that makes it happen!

Welcome to Netweather Rachel, I hope you find everyone helpful and smiley and if you need any explanations - just ask away!

Posted

So sorry - updated!

No worries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold!!

Sometimes I hate living on the Devon/Cornwall border :-(

I'll second that! Rain on Friday.....probably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hello Everyone,

Absolutely fascinated with the posts of this forum, even from those that profess to being complete novices. Really interesting to read all of your comments, views and opinions, in what is clearly a forecasters nightmare, for even the most seasoned of professionals, by the look of it. It would appear our own Ian Ferguson is extremely well regarded and rightly so, he seems to pitch everything right with the right amount of explanation behind his forecasts, without baffling us with terms we dont understand. I, for one have learned more in the last week by reading these forums that I ever learned in my science lessons at school.

Obviously, hoping that we get some proper winter weather as does everyone on here by the sounds of it, instead of the continual wall of rain we have had, for what seems like forever. So looking forward to the 12z from ECM and UKMO (is that right?) this later today.....

Keep up the good work - especially you IanF!

Rachel

Welcome aboard!

Posted

I know I shouldn't and I know I'll probably regret it and I know I'm totally going against all my advice to others, but.....I really can't help getting a little excited by the prospects on offer with this run. Taken another dip into the Mod thread and having read

"Yes very hard to be sure of just how accurate this run is-pretty amazing really. I've just run various parameters with Extra and I cannot recall in the 8 years on here seeing any GFS run with the zero isotherm over this area for the whole 384 hours. The 850mb temperature, apart from a short spell as the first Atlantic push ocurs is also as if not colder than I have seen on any run before."

from THE most sensible, non ramper on here - John Holmes, ex pro forecaster, feet firmly on the ground. I'm finding it nigh on impossible not to do a happy dance round my kitchen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Gorgeous hot sunny days

Welcome to Netweather Rachel, I hope you find everyone helpful and smiley and if you need any explanations - just ask away!

Thanks - but if I ask all the questions I have - the mods will have to create a whole new thread for it!!! Will sit on the sidelines and look up the terms I don't understand - my challenge at the moment is getting to grips with the fact I look at charts that sometimes show the UK in green/mild colours and I then see another one which seems to be for the same period in dark blue/siberian colours, I think this has something to do with surface or atmospheric temps? Anyway, I will work it out!

Posted

Hello, would someone mind explaining the significance of the DP please. . . Seen lots of people post what theirs is but over my head lol. Sorry to be a pain.

Rachel

Edited by Chul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Welcome to the Present South West/Central Southern Model thread rofl.gif Me a recent poster and still learning being a pensioner....We all start somewhere..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

Just back from work, feeling tired. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what looks likely to happen on Friday please as i think a trip into the MOD thread will frazzle my noggin.

Posted

Just back from work, feeling tired. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what looks likely to happen on Friday please as i think a trip into the MOD thread will frazzle my noggin.

It might snow. A lot!