Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Despite temps getting below 0 degrees last night, just like yesterday awoke to no frost whatsoever - only reason I can think is the very dry air which is now covering much of the country, indeed it doesn't actually feel that cold at the moment thanks to the very dry air.

I've been monitoring the radar images, and it looks as if the weak snow feature is moving NW, so we may see some light snow in the coming hours and perhaps a slight dusting which would be nice to wake up to tomorrow.

This time yesterday I was thinking we might be on the cusp of seeing a foot or more of snow, how quickly things changed this morning, alas we are in a particularly unfavourable location for much snow from the front tomorrow. We might grab a couple of inches during the evening but doubt we will see much more, as ever it will be a case of nowcasting, watching the radar and seeing just where the precip decides to reach.

The NE of the region could see some heafty snow showers during tomorrow evening and more so through tomorrow night and well into Saturday.

Perhaps our time will come on Monday, we need a better angle of attack next time more NNW-SSE or NW/SE rather than WNW-ESE. From a cold perspective the angle of attack from this front is much better for more of the country.

Posted

Cold, cold, cold here. That BBC Look North forecast was encouraging.

The light snow tonight is really nice- top up the clear places, and now I can't see the grass in my garden anymore smile.png

:o Mine still has a good 2 or 3" of lying snow on it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Because the paths are still so snowy here I *had* to go buy a different buggy for the baby, hubby slightly unimpressed, so i am seriously hoping we get another covering to make it seem more like we needed it.....haha!

Posted

Nothing here atm, band expected to move NW out of the region tonight, ready for the North Sea monster to start working.

Still snowing lightly here, temp risen to -0.5C though, booooo!!

ohmy.png Mine still has a good 2 or 3" of lying snow on it!

Ditto!

Posted

just looked at the met office forcast plus a few other sites,

am i right in thinking the northeast(darlington) are not going to get to much snow tomz?

we have light snow right now mind when i say light i mean the odd tiny flake lol

Posted

Whoops, I meant from that band in the North Sea - I never considered an area of snow forming from nowhere in the Midlands!

Ha Ha, I figured! Looking at the heavier showers out over the sea they are painfully slowly edging in, fingers crossed they'll arrive overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The North Sea is like a see-through balloon filled to the brim of water (snow!) right now. It has so much inside that you can't see, but by the morning it will have burst as the cold air needle pops it. The amount of snow shrs moving in will be notable over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

just looked at the met office forcast plus a few other sites,

am i right in thinking the northeast(darlington) are not going to get to much snow tomz?

we have light snow right now mind when i say light i mean the odd tiny flake lol

I think it will get heavier as the day goes on wouldn't surprise me to see close to 10cm 4inches widely before the days out

This was Ian Fergussons UK wide picture for tomorrow night on Points west

frisnow6.png?t=1358454284

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

The North Sea is like a see-through balloon filled to the brim of water (snow!) right now. It has so much inside that you can't see, but by the morning it will have burst as the cold air needle pops it. The amount of snow shrs moving in will be notable over the next few days.

Here's hoping.

I do love North Sea convection, certainly better than frontal snow for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A few flakes falling still should be over soon then that should be it before the main snow arrives mid morning tomorrow and latest for a "prolonged period"

Temperature remains steady at 0.3°C almost 2 hours at 0.3°C now

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

@ PeterF And the wind. You keep forgetting about the wind :-)

my guage has been frozen solid all day and i dont want to break it.the wind has really ramped up over the last 3 hours.

Posted

Temp -1.7 is highest since monday. Still snowing about 4/10. Starting to look good for tomorrow. Will we be under orange warning by tomorrow afternoon?

Posted

6YRip.png

My HIGHLY amateurish predictions for 0000 Friday to 0000 Saturday. Note, I am no artist!

thought i'd logged onto sesame street there lol.

only joking I Fgood.gif

Posted

Probably should note that Consett, Derwentside, Tyne/Wear Valley should be much closer to the red 5cm than orange 1cm- and could easily surpass it- all depends where the convection and frontal precip meet up. Somewhere in this region is in for a party, if not all of it.

Posted

Where's Middlesbrough on that map? The red zone or the orange zone?

The boundary really- I'd go for orange- though Yarm and Scotch Corner would be red. All elementary in terms of snowfall on the day.

Watch your lamp-posts and the radar folks, and relax!

Posted

The boundary really- I'd go for orange- though Yarm and Scotch Corner would be red. All elementary in terms of snowfall on the day.

Watch your lamp-posts and the radar folks, and relax!

The boundary? Lmao so it could be a let down or a biggie. Most likely a let down :(