Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well we've avoided an Ice day again today the snow has risen the temperature to a high of 0.3°C which it has been at since 17:55

Posted

I agree. And you've got to add to that everything from Friday evening on, which he wasn't including. Could be widespread 10cms or more IMO overall.

I think it depends on what PPN type we get, by that I mean, will it be convective or dynamic(frontal) or a bit of both, I suspect this weekend in general will be a cloudy one in general with snow falling at times but I think there is a lot of uncertainty just how far North and East the front will get tomorrow. Todays PPN is coming from medium level cloud thickened right up, the weather front is different all together but in all honesty, I got no idea!

Just hope it won't be one of those grey uninspiring days with only a few flurries falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Cold, cold, cold here. That BBC Look North forecast was encouraging.

The light snow tonight is really nice- top up the clear places, and now I can't see the grass in my garden anymore :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Up to 0.9C here, but it has levelled off there. The dew points must still be really low as the flakes are so dry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cold, cold, cold here. That BBC Look North forecast was encouraging.

The light snow tonight is really nice- top up the clear places, and now I can't see the grass in my garden anymore smile.png

Yes last nights forecast was poor IMO but Paul's forecast is much better and more realistic tonight no problems with what he's shown tonight with heavy snow tomorrow then further falls during the weekend and remaining cold for the foreseeable

Posted

Snow slowly getting heavier here. Mets forecast for Newcastle goes for snow through till sunday then sleet, but for durham its all snow.

Posted

Radar looks encouraging at least for NW England/Cumbria, as well as most of Yorkshire/Midlands. Should continue seeing light snow here.

Yorkshire, W Midlands, Wales should be hit hardest from now until Monday.

Posted

p5Zhj.png?1

B8b2A.png?1

QkhTC.png?1

ECM top, GEM middle, UKMO bottom. You can see the differences. Weakest block on the EC, most northern upper low. Least encouraging ridging (stronger jet profile and more progressive).

The UKMO is better, by far, with an identified block in there- and a strong upper low- only problem is the weaker Russian sector PV (which can be modified in time).

GEM is a complete beaut. Southerly upper low- strong ridge profile- weak jet- strong Russian sector PV bolting up to be released into Scandi.

Interesting differences of upper air profiles- GFS so messed up it doesn't deserve inclusion. It goes against everything- discard it.

Signals for a N/NE'ly to end the month and bring in February increasingly likely...

I'll do these for D5 most evenings (I'll try), to show the importance of the upper air flow.

Tonight, it's-

1. GEM

2. UKMO

3. ECM

and remember... these are charts after this weekend's convective fun... enjoy it all, this could be very good!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Up to 0.9C here, but it has levelled off there. The dew points must still be really low as the flakes are so dry!

Colder on the coast for a change, down to 0.5ºC with Dp's at -2.9ºC and the winds are coming off the sea from the SE.

Posted

Colder on the coast for a change, down to 0.5ºC with Dp's at -2.9ºC and the winds are coming off the sea from the SE.

Could be my thermometer, everything is still frozen solid.

Posted

I maybe wrong but im sure there is a slight thaw going on, hope it doesn't last long!!

your correct -3.4c here at 5pm,upto -1.5c now but still snowing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Im getting 0.5c with dew point at -1.6c, and its totally dry here now, and I am getting a twitch in my neck from looking out the window so much ;D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

A surprise hour and a half of snow this evening and still snowing ever so lightly. Hope the temperastures drop though, 1c here at present.

Posted

No chance of snow today, that lot isn't heading west any time soon. The frost is beautiful - the surface of the snow has a lovely feathery effect now.

Never say never!!

Posted

Never say never!!

Whoops, I meant from that band in the North Sea - I never considered an area of snow forming from nowhere in the Midlands!