Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

I can also confirm very light snow falling here now, the clouds have gone very dark to the north of me, maybe a surprise in store for someone :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Take no notice of the GFS past +48- another run where it has underdone the retrogression and messed up the atlantic.

Yeah, but all the recent runs have shown slightly higher thicknesses over the weekend, so I'm curious as to whether we can still get snow if the dew point, temperature, 850s etc etc are all low enough?

Posted

Latest BBC weather sounded promising for Saturday - "the focus moves to North East England and Eastern Scotland with those showers piling in off the North Sea".

Posted

Was just about to post the same alza could be a fun day on Saturday!

Posted

Not for me though, I'm going to the Lake District tomorrow unless conditions have deteriorated by tomorrow evening, or look bad for getting home on Sunday. The one full day I'm away for could be the best snow day the NE has seen so far this winter! Hopefully there'll be plenty left on Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

that ppn moving north god knows were it came from but its getting closer maybe only 50 miles from darlo,, and the east of it is on the doorstep of teesside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A little tutorial to the UKMO 120- keep in mind the stuff to the right when I do the ones for the GEM and ECM at the same time, maybe the GFS as well.

LP2QV.png?1

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A little tutorial to the UKMO 120- keep in mind the stuff to the right when I do the ones for the GEM and ECM at the same time, maybe the GFS as well.

Quite small! One sec

Not kidding, thought the lenses out of my reading glasses were missing..!!!

Posted

I'm still worried about these thicknesses! 530ish DAM is on the high side for snow, although I don't know what would happen with 850s nearly -10, dew points below freezing and temperatures of about 0.

Posted

I'm still worried about these thicknesses! 530ish DAM is on the high side for snow, although I don't know what would happen with 850s nearly -10, dew points below freezing and temperatures of about 0.

Heavy bin-lid size snowflakes...!!

Posted

a few very small flakes falling now here, seems to be more and more precipitation showing on radar, is something developing?, more of a se drift now when you rewind precip? interesting.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

Quite a breeze is picking up round here, seems to be blowing quite abit of cloud cover over us, still bloody cold mind lol, hopefully might get some snow showers :)

Posted

How accurate are the 5 day Met Office forecasts? Now it is showing no snow in Middlesbrough during the WHOLE of Saturday. Surely that isn't right?

not very.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

How accurate are the 5 day Met Office forecasts? Now it is showing no snow in Middlesbrough during the WHOLE of Saturday. Surely that isn't right?

Strange that as 15 miles west in Darlo we have snow for Saturday - http://www.metoffice...Time=1358553600

The most accurate thing is to look out the window and see if anything falls

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

a few very small flakes falling now here, seems to be more and more precipitation showing on radar, is something developing?, more of a se drift now when you rewind precip? interesting.smile.png

Same here. Looks like the light snow across the midlands has been developing and heading north........

Posted

A quote from the Northern Echo

AMBULANCE bosses have warned people to take extra care with heavy snow showers expected to hit the North-East tomorrow (Friday, January 18).

Freezing temperatures will grip the region, with experts predicting the biggest snowfall of the winter and widespread disruption to travel routes and services.

Prolonged sleet and snow showers will spread across the North-East throughout the day, with forecasters expecting about five inches of snow to fall and temperatures to drop to -4C.

The North East Ambulance Service NHS Trust has warned people to take extra care when walking on icy pavements, and rail passengers on the East Coast Mainline are advised to check services before travelling.

Motorists have been told not to drive unless their journey is necessary.

So according to that the NEAS has been told to expect around 12cm of snow tomorrow - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/10169875.Ambulance_bosses_plea_over_snow_showers/

Posted

Just had a look at the radar and theirs certainly a band of snow moving up from the midlands its a huge band which stretches from south of London right up to Bishop Auckland beyond that its more patchy

Posted

A quote from the Northern Echo

So according to that the NEAS has been told to expect around 12cm of snow tomorrow - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/10169875.Ambulance_bosses_plea_over_snow_showers/

I wouldn't rule that out as we still don't know whether the front from the West will reach us and the North Sea is getting its act together Edited by Snowmaggedon