Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Lisa is going for snow showers moving in from the east during tomorrow before these merge with the main band of snow pushing from the south west during the evening

It should be an interesting evening and weekend then. Bring it on!

Posted

Lisa is going for snow showers moving in from the east during tomorrow before these merge with the main band of snow pushing from the south west during the evening

I guess that answers my earlier question as to whether you can get frontal snow AND convective showers combining! smile.png

Got a link Gavin?

Edited by NickR

Posted

The BBC forecast on their website goes for a largely dry, cold and windy weekend so god only knows what's going to happen as a lot of people on here are saying there's going to be heavy snow.

Hi Hagler,

In my experience, don't pay any attention to the BBC website weather graphics at all, they are a total waste of time. They are so far out of date once you know about computer models and a site like this one, that they are useless. It is like buying a Sunday newspaper and expecting to find news in it !!

Also, they tend to be very generalised with no accurate detail. Much better off following the recognised posters on Netweather !!

Also, has anybody noticed the trough showing on the latest (06z) meto fax for tomorrow morning. It is sitting right along our coastline and 12 hrs later it is still there, very very interesting methinks!!

Karl

Posted

Hi Hagler,

In my experience, don't pay any attention to the BBC website weather graphics at all, they are a total waste of time. They are so far out of date once you know about computer models and a site like this one, that they are useless. It is like buying a Sunday newspaper and expecting to find news in it !!

Also, they tend to be very generalised with no accurate detail. Much better off following the recognised posters on Netweather !!

Also, has anybody noticed the trough showing on the latest (06z) meto fax for tomorrow morning. It is sitting right along our coastline and 12 hrs later it is still there, very very interesting methinks!!

Karl

Yes Karl!! I saw that troughing.. wind direction looks a little too S'ly, but it was a VERY pleasant surprise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I guess that answers my earlier question as to whether you can get frontal snow AND convective showers combining! smile.png

Got a link Gavin?

Will have to wait until the BBC LN website is updated

Posted

I think some are getting a little excited regarding convective weather into Sunday but I'm basing this more on the GFS model and what Louise Lear is saying on the BBC forecasts. Too me, I question if there is much in the way of instability to produce North Sea showers from the East as thicknesses are not that low in all honesty and with Saturday, then that weakening front may stop convective showers from getting going, I mean, I rather have convective showers than lightish fine snow during the day from a decaying weather front.

That said, it will all come down to radar watching and hopefully there will be some surprises.

Posted

I think some are getting a little excited regarding convective weather into Sunday but I'm basing this more on the GFS model and what Louise Lear is saying on the BBC forecasts. Too me, I question if there is much in the way of instability to produce North Sea showers from the East as thicknesses are not that low in all honesty and with Saturday, then that weakening front may stop convective showers from getting going, I mean, I rather have convective showers than lightish fine snow during the day from a decaying weather front.

That said, it will all come down to radar watching and hopefully there will be some surprises.

...I'd rather have realistic hopes and not be disappointed.. so you're not hopeful of much? Or are you looking further ahead for better convection?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Hi Hagler,

Karl

Noticed that myself, very interesting! Supposed to be at a beer festival tmrw night at Beamish Hall, starting to look unlikely lol

Edited by North East Blizzard

Posted

Yes Karl!! I saw that troughing.. wind direction looks a little too S'ly, but it was a VERY pleasant surprise!

It's the way it just sits there. When I first saw it I thought it was a mis-drawn line but when it was still showing 12 hrs later, without having moved, I started thinking we could get hammered for 12 hrs solid. This is a new feature, I know troughs can appear at very short notice, but for it to show now, hmmmm ! bring it on.

Posted

Its Thornaby which always seems to have missed out in recent years! I reckon tomorrow evening will deliver for places on the Northumberland coast, as don't forget a SSE wind is onshore there whilst elsewhere it is just about an offshore wind, but the showers should become widespread on Saturday and push inland as well.

Thornaby did amazing in the November/December 2010 spell. Even I was amazed by it. We even had thunder snow. Just every other time we miss out.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

I think at least 10cm for us in Warminster, with large drifts!! Just off to Argos to get a new sledge! It's going to be a fun w.end!!

Posted

I think at least 10cm for us in Warminster, with large drifts!! Just off to Argos to get a new sledge! It's going to be a fun w.end!!

Think you've got the wrong thread here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Good Michael fish forecast ........"someone just called up the met office and said there's a Blizzard on the way.........there isn't"

Think you've got the wrong thread here

Sorry, thought I was in the regional thread!!

Posted

Good Michael fish forecast ........"someone just called up the met office and said there's a Blizzard on the way.........there isn't"

Sorry, thought I was in the regional thread!!

Wrong region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp

Looks like the Eastern coasts could see some heavier snow developing from convection on Saturday afternoon, with the isobars swinging round to give more of a straight easterly feed onshore:

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax60s.gif

This Easterly feed should pick up a good amount of convective snow showers with such cold uppers (forecast to be around -9):

http://expert-images...011906_1706.gif

Also looking like eastern area's could be getting a few fresh cm's tomorrow evening/night if this is anything to go by!

http://expert-images...011900_1706.gif

Exciting times ahead smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Here's the lunchtime forecast with Lisa

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/7760853.stm

excellent n maybe a bit of snow tonight

Posted

Here's the lunchtime forecast with Lisa

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/7760853.stm

That looks pretty good to me, also surprised by how early these showers are predicted to start, could be a substantial covering by Saturday morning, if the snow continues through Friday night

Posted

excellent n maybe a bit of snow tonight

Still seeing the odd flake falling now

That looks pretty good to me, also surprised by how early these showers are predicted to start, could be a substantial covering by Saturday morning, if the snow continues through Friday night

Yes they get going quite early by Lisa's forecast and given the other band will join it later we could see 5 to 10cm quite widely by Saturday

Infact when you compare Lisa's to the nation forecast with Louise Lear its completely different for our region - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21063693 (for cast 2nd video down)

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

The met office have added heavy snow for Darlington tomorrow night from 21:00 to 00:00 - http://www.metoffice...Time=1358467200

Same for Consett, also large parts of Saturday too :)

Edited by North East Blizzard

Posted

The met office have added heavy snow for Darlington tomorrow night from 21:00 to 00:00 - http://www.metoffice...Time=1358467200

Did you get your ice day then?

Currently -0.9º here, which is the highest all day.

Edited by paul tall