Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just saw the latest forecast on the beeb and there going for snow on Saturday for us so if we miss any showers tomorrow we should see snow on Saturday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yeah, you won't need to come far inland before you get snow

Certainly this weekend I expect snow right out to the coast, but its early next week I was going on about when thicknesses will be above 528 DAM and surface temperatures will rise to a couple of degrees above freezing. Still 5 days away anyway, lets just hope for upgrades again.

I hope you all enjoy the snow on Saturday as I will be in tropical Keswick which now looks like missing the snow again. Hopefully a walk onto the fells on Saturday will be cold and snowy though.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

cant see us getting any rain/sleet sun/mon looking at the charts and tell me if im wrong we should be under -8 uppers

Posted

cant see us getting any rain/sleet sun/mon looking at the charts and tell me if im wrong we should be under -8 uppers

Not on Sunday, but it gets very marginal by Monday. I wish I hadn't mentioned it now lol it's far too far away to worry!

Edited by Alza

Posted

Just saw the latest forecast on the beeb and there going for snow on Saturday for us so if we miss any showers tomorrow we should see snow on Saturday

7am they showed no snow, just shows how quickly things are changing.

Edited by Hagler

Posted

7am they showed no snow, just shows how quickly things are changing.

Yeah I saw that, Nick's forecast certainly showed snow right down the east and he ended by saying remaining wintry next week

As for Monday yes its touch and go at the moment but I'd favour snow over rain / sleet away from the coast at the moment

gfs-1-102.png?6

Could be some heavy snow for a time next week

gfs-2-90.png?6

gfs-2-96.png?6

gfs-2-126.png?6

Posted

Ice day remains a possibility - we're under cloud so not too much fluctuation of the temperature, which peaked at -1.4º earlier, but has now slipped back to -1.7º at the time of day where the temperature usually rises.

Posted

Ice day remains a possibility - we're under cloud so not too much fluctuation of the temperature, which peaked at -1.4º earlier, but has now slipped back to -1.7º at the time of day where the temperature usually rises.

Cloudy here but we are still rising slowly up to -0.7°C now, how much higher we'll get with the cloud I don't know

Posted

Met office 5 day forecast for prudhoe 89masl has snow from fri 1500 right through till the end of forecast at 9pm monday with a max temp of 1 throughout. Mostly light snow with a bit of heavy staurday and sunday nights. Now mention of rain, sleet or milder temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
UW72-7.GIF?17-06

Posted

Yeah I saw that, Nick's forecast certainly showed snow right down the east and he ended by saying remaining wintry next week

As for Monday yes its touch and go at the moment but I'd favour snow over rain / sleet away from the coast at the moment

gfs-1-102.png?6

Could be some heavy snow for a time next week

gfs-2-90.png?6

gfs-2-96.png?6

gfs-2-126.png?6

thats just by the gfs tho rite, because the uppers by the ukmo are -8

Posted

first red warning of the cold spell by the met for south wales we still have a yellow warning for fri,sat and sun for snow

Posted

thats just by the gfs tho rite, because the uppers by the ukmo are -8

Yes that was GFS ECM also has -8 uppers over us

ECM0-96.GIF?17-12

The is the latest for Saturday on the beeb

snow8.png?t=1358427947

Posted

Snow warning for Saturday into Sunday

The band of snow will slowly weaken through Saturday morning with further accumulations of 5 cm over central areas. Further snow showers will spread into many eastern areas giving 2-5 cm of snow in places and as much as 10 cm over high ground.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1358434800&zoom=5&lon=-1.66&lat=54.63&regionName=ne

Posted

Still at -1C here.

Posted

Yeah, 10-20cm widely this weekend IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

-2.2 here, starting to creep back down now as well. Cannot see anything but snow up here this weekend, temps are not expected to rise above 0°C!

Posted

Ye places like Northumberland, Newcastle, Durham and maybe Teesside :p might be in the firing line from the North Sea

Teesside does actually tend to struggle a bit more than Tyneside and surrounding areas when the winds are ESE or SEly due to the shape of the coastline, so it might take longer to get going down there. Tomorrow could bring in some surprise convection as the wind will be slightly onshore by the evening, so if the North Sea is as full of snow as it is today it won't take much for the showers to clip the coast.

By Saturday the wind direction will be such that Teesside should be getting snow.

Posted

I actually think Teesside doesn't do too bad, we actually got a very decent snow cover this week and now it's all frozen rock solid so any snow that falls this weekend will definitely lay....

Its Thornaby which always seems to have missed out in recent years! I reckon tomorrow evening will deliver for places on the Northumberland coast, as don't forget a SSE wind is onshore there whilst elsewhere it is just about an offshore wind, but the showers should become widespread on Saturday and push inland as well.

Posted

Lisa is going for snow showers moving in from the east during tomorrow before these merge with the main band of snow pushing from the south west during the evening