Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Are the showers in the north sea likely to edge any nearer to the coast in the SE?

Not the ones going down the dover straights no, as time goes on it's looking less likely! What we need to look at is the precipitation just east of suffolk as that may hit kent.

Not looking good at the moment, the wind didn't really help as it was too slack :(

Posted

If anyone hasn't read it already, SM did a brilliant summary of the "margins for error" for our region Fri/Sat. Well worth reading, for reassurance as much as anything that a few miles correction west or east shouldn't make that much of a difference to us.

Being only 10 miles from the coast I always worry about that scuppering my chances but from what I gather uppers and dew points should all be favourable and in any case a southerly or south easterly would also mean a very short sea track. Here's hoping!

I wouldn't worry too much, Europe/France is extremely cold and the dew points there are very low so we should be alright even right on the coast I think, maybe more marginal with a southerly wind but SE nothing to worry about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

One of the best London snowfalls ive ever seen Feb 1991...Can sense its coming againcold.gif

Rrea00219910207.gif

Yes not the best of snowfalls for me! It was the night before my 18th birthday party everyone triggered to get there :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

I think whatever we get this weekend regarding snow we should all enjoy and make the most of, looking at the meto exstended forcast it hints at the south and southwest being milder therefore rain ,sleet as apposed to snow and in the freezer, hopefully that will change , but i think this weekend is the breakdown for us for now !!

Good luck to everone this weekend ,enjoy..

Are the showers in the north sea likely to edge any nearer to the coast in the SE?

id like to think they would, but have been told there going south east and will just miss us, hope there wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

, the lp is going over the top,ie, cold stays in, situ.and all precip, away from west, espec west facing coast will fall as, snow and.could be some decent accums, over a wide area, as for anything turning wet,rather than white is highly unlikely, főt our part of the world....Happy sledging..:-)

Posted

Being only 10 miles from the coast I always worry about that scuppering my chances but from what I gather uppers and dew points should all be favourable and in any case a southerly or south easterly would also mean a very short sea track. Here's hoping!

I really wouldn't worry on this occasion, just sit back, relax and imagine this on the coast:

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/12667-img_4668_1408x940jpg/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/12662-img_4651jpg/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/9966-eastbourne-seafront/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/9969-terminus-road-eastbourne/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/9956-eastbourne-seafront/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I wouldn't worry too much, Europe/France is extremely cold and the dew points there are very low so we should be alright even right on the coast I think, maybe more marginal with a southerly wind but SE nothing to worry about.

The low countries have a lot of snow ;)

See here

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/satellite_UK_and_Ireland

Posted

I do hope we do get something falling out if the sky that is white and fluffy this weekend, why do I feel another trend of last friday coming on. I saw 2 snow flakes and nothing since :-)

Posted

why do I feel another trend of last friday coming on. I saw 2 snow flakes and nothing since :-)

I haven't a clue really - it is so different from that scenario - just see how cold it is for a start!

Posted

Temperature went up to +0.8 but is now dropping again, +0.6 now. Had a brief glimpse of blue sky but appears to be clouding over again.

Meggy, I live just by the woods that lead down to the Mardyke. Still plenty of frost on the shadier trees and bushes and on the grass. As you saiid, beautiful in the sunlight.

CD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just saw BBC South East Forecast and looks like Snow Friday afternoon and all Saturday,Max temps of Zero on both days with high windchill.No mention of it turning to rain.Sunday was cloudy and plus 2.What are the chances of snow turning to rain here in NW Kent as last night Peter on BBC SE indicated snow WOULD turn to rain!!Desperately don't want let down again like Monday.Also,my understanding of next fronts coming(Monday 21st) in is the if angle of attack is NW/SE that will be better for us and hopefully keep us in -5 850s which is what we need for snow.Am i correct in thinking this?If Steve M is reading would appreciate you knowledge as you are around my neck of the woods!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hope there will be just enough east in the steering flow to drift them onto coastal regions, otherwise our French neighbours will hog them all again.

Perhaps if they "fart in our general direction", you might catch a little bit!

Sorry that's my Monty Python moment for the day!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Pleasant day here now, after a cloudy start.

Not an ice day bit still cold.

1.2C

Edited by mulzy

Posted

Well if she is your girlfriend I would say you have every chance rofl.gif

Hahaha, thanks!

Seems others agree with me, I think it will need to be rearranged, I'm hopeful of a major snow event down here in London but it seems she will deffo have a major snow event up in the North East, I'll give the weather models another 24hours or so to try and work out what is likely top happen but looking at it, getting from Croydon to Euston might be a mission let alone hoping Virgin are running trains via what seems to be the majority of the snow through the midlands towards Manchester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Hi Dexter

I am interested to know why you are so downbeat about the SE Compared to the rest of the country, how do you see this LP Behaving (eg how are you seeing this play out) it sounds like you might be expecting the LP To stall and fizzle out to the west, any reasons for this.

Not a gripe or a go at you just wanted to see what your thoughts were on where that LP Ultimately ends up as quite a few of us are expecting it to track fiirst SE And then Eastwards into Europe and hence sustaining the cold and bringing back the cold from the continent next week. I am getting the feeling we could be in for a possible easterly or North Easterly next week if things go to plan and this is what GP's thoughts might have been in that huuge rampede earlier in the Model Thread

fax charts have the front lying over us midday saturday, no fizzling. i know u know this Paul :)

Posted

I trust some of you doubters will revisit this thread after Saturday's snow and read back over your comments regarding downgrades and 'no shows'. Well even if you don't I shall be popping in (between sledging and building snow men) to highlight these posts of doom and gloom!!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Just drawn up a map

post-7073-0-22652100-1358346042_thumb.gi

It's a pretty rough estimate, obviously some areas will see slightly more or slightly less, but as a ballpark figure based on the latest NAE & NMM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Good to see the sun today, temp has stayed below freezing so far all day :) Currently 0C.

Posted

I trust some of you doubters will revisit this thread after Saturday's snow and read back over your comments regarding downgrades and 'no shows'. Well even if you don't I shall be popping in (between sledging and building snow men) to highlight these posts of doom and gloom!!! rofl.gif

Be careful when building snowmen... i hear they can, in some situations, come to life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Have you seen the METO further outlook?? doesent fill me wth confidence, having said that its looking good for this weekend though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Realy quite shocked by some very downbeat very pessimitic,post.the south east looks the very last place for any dramatic temp rise, for some time and as again, we WILL, do very well im sure in regards snowfall....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Dont know if its been commented on yet but latest Fax for 06z tomorrow morning has a small trough/convergence line sitting on the E.Kent coast, poss. E.Kent clipper later on today and overnight.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax24s.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

That would be great lol :) Here's praying and keeping everything crossed!