Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Taking my wife to Suffolk for birthday treat Fri to Mon already paid for accommodation. Might get there ok Fri but not sure about getting back. Great timing........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Slightly concerned that the precipitation may not even reach us.

It is a fine line I think.

Posted

When, Friday???

Posted

Yep.

Ok it was using the GFS precip charts on Extra, but it did not make it to us and just fizzled out to the west.

The snow graphic on the model is quite misleading.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Great photo Tilly, send it into BBC South East Today!

Thank you :)

I sent them some Snow Flake pics last Feb that I took but they didnt show them. Maybe worth another try though

Posted

It is a fine line I think.

My worries too.

The 00z GFS doesn't even show the ppn reaching all of our area (I think) not sure if I'm viewing them correctly.

Yes the GFS PPN line is around 150 miles west of the UKMO & ECM.... before it pivots away-

Would stay bitter over the SE- especially under any areas with snow- but not ideal-

we want the UKMO where it stalls over the SE then pivots away SE leaving us to enjoy the surface cold @ -10.

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Guest archiesmummy

Are you referring to Sunday because at the moment, it is due to fall overnight...

I think anything that falls in this region* will be snow on Friday and Saturday.

* Please note that this may not be applicable to the following areas:

Essex, London, Surrey, West Sussex, Hampshire, Kent, other areas in the south east! :-p

That's a lot of us to not expect snow then?

Posted

GP's magic words are for all to see now!!!!

http://forum.netweat...00#entry2507917

Good agreement between ECM and GFS ensemble means at day 10 pattern. Remaining cold throughout that period with high risk of snowfall.

yahoo.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

Yes the GFS PPN line is around 150 miles west of the UKMO & ECM.... before it pivots away-

Would stay bitter over the SE- especially under any areas with snow- but not ideal-

we want the UKMO where it stalls over the SE then pivots away SE leaving us to enjoy the surface cold @ -10.

S

Maybe we will reach a middle ground then Steve?

Still, this would not be ideal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

My worries too.

The 00z GFS doesn't even show the ppn reaching all of our area (I think) not sure if I'm viewing them correctly.

said that this morning to

But was told I was mad

Lol

Posted

That's a lot of us to not expect snow then?

If the precipitation reaches us, it will be snow.

This is not even marginal when you look at temps, dew points and upper temps.

The main issue, is will the precipitation get this far east.

Posted

said that this morning to

But was told I was mad

Lol

We are not mad snowbob ;-)

Even Steve M has just posted that the GFS keeps the snow to the west of us Friday.

Don't get excited until T6 I say

Posted

T=-1.1m Td=-2.3

Yes, I am a little bit concerned, like others here, that the front simply won't make it E/SE England. Given a vigorous front and significant differences between our current cold air, and the warm moist air on the other side of the front, it kind of makes sense that there's the potential for it to occlude quickly; possibly, even, our cold air winning and batting it back from whence it came before it gets to us.

But given that, we are only looking at raw computer output; the television forecasts have had real expert people looking at it - at the range of 48hr and when talking about precipitation, I think we have to, at this stage, give the nod to the professionals.

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

I remember your photo from last year too of those lovely individual flakes..... So nice to see when the air is so cold....

:)

Its probably really quite Sad but when I brought my new Garden Table I got Black specifically in case it was frosty and snowed again as Black shows up the Flakes better. The Fence that they were on last year was taken down so I had to get something to replace it LOL

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Been saying on all local TV weather forecasts this morning for Sussex Kent area to have heavy snow Friday /Saturday , hope they are right!!!!!!! ; ) : )

Posted

If the precipitation reaches us, it will be snow.

This is not even marginal when you look at temps, dew points and upper temps.

The main issue, is will the precipitation get this far east.

also you want it to reach us and stall then retreat.... But whats also worrying to me that if it pushes through then say hello to the mild atlantic??? Or version 3.. it doesnt reach us and we stay in the cold and look out to the east/north for next attack

Posted

T=-1.1m Td=-2.3

Yes, I am a little bit concerned, like others here, that the front simply won't make it E/SE England. Given a vigorous front and significant differences between our current cold air, and the warm moist air on the other side of the front, it kind of makes sense that there's the potential for it to occlude quickly; possibly, even, our cold air winning and batting it back from whence it came before it gets to us.

But given that, we are only looking at raw computer output; the television forecasts have had real expert people looking at it - at the range of 48hr and when talking about precipitation, I think we have to, at this stage, give the nod to the professionals.

I would normally agree at a shorter timeframe. But I have seen national tv forecasts get it so wrong within a 48hr period before.

The fact that the TV forecast are still expressing uncertainty along with the GFS keeping the snow to the west of us, is a worry for me!

also you want it to reach us and stall then retreat.... But whats also worrying to me that if it pushes through then say hello to the mild atlantic??? Or version 3.. it doesnt reach us and we stay in the cold and look out to the east/north for next attack

We wouldn't say hello to the Atlantic temps... Because the cold will undercut the low... (at least that's what the models are suggesting) and out high pressure will just sit there

Edited by Surrey

Posted

Yep, 06z GFS coming out and shaping up to be another corker!

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

OMG!!!! Bring it on!!

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Get in there 06Z. Snow all the way....help.gif