Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

This is all very confusing!

From Heavy snow to light snow and I dont know what to do - drive to Leeds from Rochdale or get the train to work

Will the Pennines between Milnrow and Leeds get much snow on Friday morning and afternoon?

Any snow around Manchester, Warrington, Chester, Wrexham?

everyone asking about advice when making travel plans.. use the meto guides...you have no idea who here actually knows what they are talking about...plus emotion plays a big part...I am naturally skeptical so would probably tell you to go for it...others are very positive and would over exaggerate....come here for a bit of fun....use the meto to make travel plans....and leave your decisions as late as possible...........

I was close to cancelling a training course in Bolton yesterday...if I had id look pretty stupid now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

In case it hasn't been posted yet this is the Met Office outlook for North West England through to Monday:

Headline:

Cold with an increasing risk of snow.

This Evening and Tonight:

Although it will be dry for much of the time, outbreaks of snow will affect some areas this evening and overnight. Any accumulations should be relatively minor. It will be a cold night with brisk southeasterly winds. Minimum Temperature -5 °C.

Friday:

Outbreaks of snow will become more widespread and persistent during the day, with disruptive snow possible for Cheshire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester. Staying windy and feeling very cold. Maximum Temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Further rain, sleet and snow expected, although with some drier, brighter periods, especially on Sunday. Remaining cold with ice and frost affecting many areas, and with freezing fog possible.

Edited by Chris W

Posted

Telling people it's an upgrade based on GFS 06z run is a bit misleading to be honest...... the higher resolution models are much better than global models

Telling people it's an upgrade based on GFS 06z run is a bit misleading to be honest...... the higher resolution models are much better than global models

there wasn't that much change between them in reality its only the precip charts struggling badly

Posted

everyone asking about advice when making travel plans.. use the meto guides...you have no idea who here actually knows what they are talking about...plus emotion plays a big part...I am naturally skeptical so would probably tell you to go for it...others are very positive and would over exaggerate....come here for a bit of fun....use the meto to make travel plans....and leave your decisions as late as possible...........

I was close to cancelling a training course in Bolton yesterday...if I had id look pretty stupid now.

Just to add to this if anyone has any travel plans for tomorrow, just re-route your journey via Preston you are bound to have at least 10-15 miles of your journey unobstructed by any kind of snow.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/sandbach#?tab=regionalForecast

Latest Met office forecast going for flurries overnight and the potential for disruptive snow to Cheshire,Merseyside and Gtr Manchester with the significant snow risk reduced to the north of the region although light snow here is certainly possible.

And yet the specific location forecast keeps me totally dry all day Friday. Updated 2pm. I guessed as much last night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

In case it hasn't been posted yet this is the Met Office outlook for North West England through to Monday:

Headline:

Cold with an increasing risk of snow.

This Evening and Tonight:

Although it will be dry for much of the time, outbreaks of snow will affect some areas this evening and overnight. Any accumulations should be relatively minor. It will be a cold night with brisk southeasterly winds. Minimum Temperature -5 °C.

Friday:

Outbreaks of snow will become more widespread and persistent during the day, with disruptive snow possible for Cheshire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester. Staying windy and feeling very cold. Maximum Temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Further rain, sleet and snow expected, although with some drier, brighter periods, especially on Sunday. Remaining cold with ice and frost affecting many areas, and with freezing fog possible.

thanks Chris so its still in place then? Why the panic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

NAE is a load of kack, Met Office go for 10-15cm locally in the SW of the region. Stick with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Heres the Look North weather forecast I mentioned earlier showing the snow over all the region - http://news.bbc.co.u...000/7760853.stm

The NAE model is actually owned/used by the Met Office, for those who didn't know.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

absoloutley gutted!

Aren't we all

Made even worse by certain forecasters saying "we escape the worst of it, we're really lucky in the North West"

Felt like throwing remote at the tv

Posted

Aren't we all

Made even worse by certain forecasters saying "we escape the worst of it, we're really lucky in the North West"

90% of the population don't want this type of disruptive weather - the BBC caters for the majority not us snow junkies!!

Posted

The NAE is a cruel joke for the North West .The angle of the front from south west to north/north east is perfect for orographic snowfall over the pennines. The end result been accumulations of 3-4cm of snow over NW England, 10-15 cm of snow over the pennines and Yorkshire.

From an IMBY perspective this is great as we get 10cm to add to the current 5cm. If I'm honest I'd like the NW to see loads of snow too as I always read this thread and you get unlucky too many times.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Aren't we all

Yes, the local forecast on Radio Stoke which comes from the METO says 'how lucky the area will be' and goes for light flurries in the afternoon.