Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

so am i driving in snow to work at glasgow airport or Not??

Maybe yes, maybe no! blum.gif

Main BBC forecast showing heavy snow showers tor Eastern Scotland tomorrow afternoon but with temperatures of 2C for Edinburgh and Dundee and 3C for Aberdeen???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? cc_confused.gif

Posted

I"d trust yer ma-in-laws forecast over Reporting Scotland [i'm sure she's a bloody fine woman before I get into any trouble for sexist ma-in-law comments]

I might be wrong but think he was referring to his daughter? Hehe.

Posted

Main BBC forecast showing heavy snow showers tor Eastern Scotland tomorrow afternoon but with temperatures of 2C for Edinburgh and Dundee and 3C for Aberdeen???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? cc_confused.gif

To be fair, the Reporting Scotland forecast did suggest it would be leet near the coast. Mind you they've said "showers turning a touch wintry on the highest hills" as the snow mounts up in the city. Who knows. Conditions are not completely conducive for snow at the moment but they will probably improve a bit as the weather system to the south causes the slack flow off the N Sea to increase. Either that or maybe we'll just get heavier sleet.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

if uppers and dew points are ok it can still be snow in they temps i think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

In my subjective opinion, their forecast of easterly sourced snow is generally poor. Even lifting the phone to colleagues in Aberdeen, Dundee or Embra would often starkly contradict their often underwhelming - and sometimes amazingly wrong - catch-all forecast of "some wintry showers in the east".

Their local understanding is often absent for a country of this relatively small size. Which is why the kilted thread wins hands down IMO, there's been some notable "snow forecast wins" here as LS, SS, Shuggee and many many others will testify.

To be fair, the Reporting Scotland forecast did suggest it would be leet near the coast. Mind you they've said "showers turning a touch wintry on the highest hills" as the snow mounts up in the city. Who knows. Conditions are not completely conducive for snow at the moment but they will probably improve a bit as the weather system to the south causes the slack flow off the N Sea to increase. Either that or maybe we'll just get heavier sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Blue pill or red pill by-tor??

Hope they aren't dodgy pills off the internet containing rat poison! tease.gif

Posted

A friend of mine from Devon has just informed me that her daughters school has been closed tomorrow due to the possibility of the serious weather. My children are a little miffed that they will be attending school as usual.

I have to admit that after reading the MT (I don't know enough to post) I was getting a little confused as to whether it was coming this far north but it would appear not.

I still read the MT in the hope that some of the knowledge imparted there may rub off a little.

Edited by Maitland

Posted

Worried about the lack of Severe Weather Warning (just now and in the future) from the Met Office in your area for snow? Couple of questions for you.

Have you ever had NO snow from a SWW for snow?

Have you ever had snow with NO SWW for snow?

The answer for me to both questions is YES and I'm guessing I won't be alone!

Posted

Good evening everyone, newbie here :)Wind certainly getting up in Banff, temp 2.0 exactly. Had a flurry about an hour ago but nout to write home about. Any thoughts how the north east moray coast will fair over the next few days?

Posted

A degree or two above isn't a killer as long as dew points are zero or below and you get evaporative cooling. Local air temperature can go up and down from 0 to 2 to 0 etc as big heavy showers come and go. The problem arises though if dew points get above zero and you can then end up with very wet, ugly slushy sleet falling out the sky - or just rain. Don't think the BBC offer up dew-points but usually LS is helpful at highlighting these and how they can favour us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

-0.5c/-3.0c/SE/4mph. As you can see, no wind to speak of here yet. Temps now up slightly from -1.0c and dewpoint was -3.8c. Wind was ESE but now SE so I suspect that is responsible for the slight rise in temps. Frost already down tho' and everything sparkly. Just a case of waiting and watching now I suppose. Be nice to get a surprise tomorrow.

Posted

True but it ends up as slush on the ground. Yuck.

Posted

Yeh agree. Chill out guys. The set up tomorrow evening onwards is about as good as it gets. As By Tor mentioned earlier, we have extremely dry continental air, which is unusual for the UK, dew points look to be very low, uppers between -8 / -9. 950,s still look to be negative for the next 2 full days.

We can't ever promise snow and its so difficult to forecast in this country as the evil Gulf Stream keeps us relatively warm but while trying not to ramp, I think we have a good shot at some snow even close to the coast from the proposed set up, but as always this is subject to change.

Just noticed that -10's are almost on the eastcoast on Saturday lunchtime.

Posted

Aye, almost too many examples from 2009/10 and 2010/11 alone !

You're dead right.

Worried about the lack of Severe Weather Warning (just now and in the future) from the Met Office in your area for snow? Couple of questions for you.

Have you ever had NO snow from a SWW for snow?

Have you ever had snow with NO SWW for snow?

The answer for me to both questions is YES and I'm guessing I won't be alone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Good evening everyone, newbie here :)Wind certainly getting up in Banff, temp 2.0 exactly. Had a flurry about an hour ago but nout to write home about. Any thoughts how the north east moray coast will fair over the next few days?

Welcome to the kilted thread. A perfect time tae join in.

Posted

Welcome from lovely Banff Onyerseljose.

Look forward to your weather reports from North Aberdeenshire.

A NEaster would be your ticket and may well materialise.

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted

Good evening all. It's been another cold day and the good news is that the cold weather looks like continuing into next week, keeping things seasonal, prolonging the risk of snow and the duration of the whole spell could end up being pretty impressive. I'm dissapointed that the front doesn't seem like it will end up bringing much snow to Scotland if any, but there could be a few flurries overnight and eastern areas should enjoy snow showers. Having said that, right now I am glad that it isn't currently snowmageddon as my gran needed to be taken to hospital with an issue with her pancreas. I wouldn't be surprised if western and central Scotland ends up having little or no lying snow compared to much of the UK but I remain hopefull that some snow showers in the easterly will make their way through and possibly when the next 'breakdown' comes next week then thre could be more snow. Certaintly, this part of the UK is having a little difficulty in getting lying snow in this spell.

A degree or two above isn't a killer as long as dew points are zero or below and you get evaporative cooling. Local air temperature can go up and down from 0 to 2 to 0 etc as big heavy showers come and go. The problem arises though if dew points get above zero and you can then end up with very wet, ugly slushy sleet falling out the sky - or just rain. Don't think the BBC offer up dew-points but usually LS is helpful at highlighting these and how they can favour us.

NMM has dewpoints above zero for near the coasts, GFS is subzero on the dewpoints all round.

Posted

Just been on the Traffic England website to see what those radar echoes are in Northumberland and Durham. What a rubbishy waste of time their website is. Sassenachs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Welcome to our new posters, hope you have a fun time here and get the weather you are after.

NAE due to update shortly, here is the link to see what the front is doing and also snow chances for the next 48 hrs.