Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I swear the Edinburgh Evening News have that article on file and, with a few edits, trot it out at least once a winter!

Indeed they do - a bit like the Daily Express, who even re-use old photos: http://themediablog.typepad.com/the-media-blog/2013/01/daily-express-snow-photos.html

Posted

You're not wrong. Typical contradictory winter scare story from EEN would be "siberian blast grips capital ... max Temp today 6c...plummeting to -1c overnight"

Cue a front page photo next week of a cyclist on a slightly snow covered city centre street. They've a few of those on file!

Posted

Perth entering that snowshield too............ where is everybody??? probably constructing concise sensible articulate interesting posts whilst analysing 18z smile.png

LS your disciples await your return on the eve of the snowyspell

charts are no use now, its radar and making sure the lampost is working time.

Posted

got to admit i did a panic shop tonight on way home on off chance. was seriously concerned there would not be enough beer in the house without me having to go out in the cold on my days off. boot full of beer chilling as i type.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well just managed to check the bbc weather there after coming in and it looks rather good for tomorrow night and into saturday with plenty of snow being blown in on quite a strong wind that could mean some good totals and even snow being blown right over to the west that was a lovely sight to come in to.

Posted

Sorry but got to post one more chart to try and keep my toys in the pram, wife gets home tomorrow so house needs to be tidy, allegedly!

Is that a horizontal front embedded in an easterly flow heading for central Scotland? Memories...

fax96s.gif?17-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

DH just asked if i could buy in some beer in case we can't travel far over weekend! man - stock up on beer. Woman - stock up on flour, dried milk etc lol

Good luck all tmrw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Sorry but got to post one more chart to try and keep my toys in the pram, wife gets home tomorrow so house needs to be tidy, allegedly!

Is that a horizontal front embedded in an easterly flow heading for central Scotland? Memories...

fax96s.gif?17-12

stop it dont even start a tease like that

it couldnt could it

Posted

fax96s.gif?17-12

make that 2 lovely sights to come in to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

well just managed to check the bbc weather there after coming in and it looks rather good for tomorrow night and into saturday with plenty of snow being blown in on quite a strong wind that could mean some good totals and even snow being blown right over to the west that was a lovely sight to come in to.

To me it looked like the reporting scotland forecast was different to the national forecast. You'd think they could have at least done a forecast in tandem !!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Spokeswoman from the met says red warning means 'TAKE ACTION!!'...................not sure what action I'm going to take to be honest ? Take the day off work seems like reasonable action to me !!!!

Ramp, its a call to ramp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

To me it looked like the reporting scotland forecast was different to the national forecast. You'd think they could have at least done a forecast in tandem !!

MisReporting Scotland have a charter to be downcast on anything, even good news. Ignore 'em !

The front seems to squiddle to the north by +120hrs, unfortunately:

post-2844-0-94030400-1358463413_thumb.gi

Posted

if only that front could make it to here then pivot and pull south then unleash the hard blowing easterly then we would see some really impressive totals and would be digging ourselves out for the next few days

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Could be short term pain for long term gain in Scotland. Ok Engerland and Wales will go all for glory with the big organised dump of snow. But bringing up the rear Scotland gets cold powdery easterly snow that sticks to everything and lasts on and off for days. I am also not convinced that the snow in N Eire will just stop at the Mull Of Kintyre. Snow doesnae recognise borders invented bythe met office!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lamppost Watcher No134 reporting in.....

Just started snowing here and it's heavy and coming down at a 45 degree angle. I actually heard it rattling off the window, 5 mins ago I looked outside and could see nothing but the moon. Expect it'll be brief but already turning the paths and road white again.

Posted

Just started snowing here and it's heavy and coming down at a 45 degree angle. I actually heard it rattling off the window, 5 mins ago I looked outside and could see nothing but the moon. Expect it'll be brief but already turning the paths and road white again.

and where are you?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

and where are you?!

Kemnay, Aberdeenshire (see my sig). Anyway, that was a real hit and run cos it's gone aleady!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I think emotions should be taken out of it and we should all just perform the snow dance. Everyone knows that scientificallty it is 100% effective 60% of the time

Posted

Sounds like graupel (soft hail/snow grains)? We had a bit of that and icy stuff earlier - in the right conditions it can turn things white pretty quickly.

Edited by doctormog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

For bloody years they used the same photo of a bus on a snowy day heading up Morningside Road.

Cue a front page photo next week of a cyclist on a slightly snow covered city centre street. They've a few of those on file!

Posted

i dont know if i am right or wrong here but maybe someone can help me out.

if u look at the rain radar when it is on animation well there is the front moving in from the west then there is the stuff in england which isnt really going anywhere then off the east coast in the north sea there is a convection line which is moving in a north to north west orientation would i be right in thinking it will be where the line of convection off the east coast and the front moving in from the west meet that will dictate just how far east the front is able to go?