Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

COLD! Bracing cold and wind starting to pick up. Only good thing perhaps is the frost is not forming as much as it was tuesday night but still cold (and quite icy in places)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I know we are all focused on this weekend but can I ask whats happening next week, As last night ECM showed some excellents charts for next week and I was wondering if this still the case and the models today are still showing a cold theme carrying on into next week with no breakdowns.

Edited by Allyw12

Posted

Wind has really got up in the last hour or so, strong and gusty....despite this I'm presently surprised at the temperature here:only +1.9c. We'll see what the next couple of days bring but if temps stay low you won't have to be far inland to see some significant snow, I reckon. Could be a graupel fest here?

I'm supposed to be visiting family in NW England this weekend - so keeping a very close eye on the snow situation between here and there.

Posted

Hi folks don't post much on here normally just read everyone else's mesgs lol.

Ive been looking at the weather around my area Aberdeen and would I be right in saying that being so close the coast that it could go pear shaped here. I mind 2010 and when the winds changed to the east it went downhill but again just inland it was much better. There is a thaw on now temps have increase which Id say has more to do with the wind coming of the sea than anything else. So basically am speaking crap unsure.png ......or would I be right in being a bit worried about the snow prospects for here.

Cheers,Lee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

+36 isn't too far out?

13011900_1712.gif

13011900_1712.gif

Anyway, lots of changes of course possible even before then, so you are of course right that we can't just take the output at face value.

Well, yes, it is. These types of charts were used last week and got all manner of hopes up. What happened? Nowt as was suggestedunsure.png

Posted

O/T. Although all details still sketchy, if the two Scots hostages in Algeria did manage to escape their captors (according to some news channels they did ) do you think they kicked the crap out of the Jihadists, like what happened at Glasgow airport all those years ago? I mean, you'd want a Scot present in situations like this, yeah? Just batter the hell oot 'o them.

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

Ther is a fairly good aurora showing up across the Firth just now but I am not standing out there to look at in a gale force southerly wind with a temperature of -0.5c. Wind chill is stunning !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

O/T. Although all details still sketchy, if the two Scots hostages in Algeria did manage to escape their captors (according to some news channels they did ) do you think they kicked the crap out of the Jihadists, like what happened at Glasgow airport all those years ago? I mean, you'd want a Scot present in situations like this, yeah? Just batter the hell oot 'o them.

Hopefully. Glasgow kiss or the like - stick the heid in aye.

Most remote and dangerous place I've had to visit on the job is Aberdeen.wink.png

EDIT. Mind you though, if they'd said 'We're naw British, we're Scottish' they'd probably be awright. Be told about how they [the jihadists] all loved braveheart and be asked about the referendum. The latter was the first thing the Saudis asked me about at lunch when I was over there recently (Saudi is less dangerous than Aberdeen as they don't let ladies get behind the wheelwink.png )

EDIT. Note you are paid a huge amount of cash in oil and gas to go out to places like Algeria. Some folk consider the risk worth it. I don't. Hopefully it will be sorted soon, but sympathies with families of those out there.

--------

I see some prep sneaking up the east coast of North Englandshire... Come tae SS...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Not quite in the same scale here in Embra, but jesus that was a bitter walk home. Skies cleared, breeze has picked up, gusty at times and I walked home head-down into it. Real continental type cold, not the damp saturated type we have most of the time. It has a certain purity about it , even if it is bone-chilling !

Ther is a fairly good aurora showing up across the Firth just now but I am not standing out there to look at in a gale force southerly wind with a temperature of -0.5c. Wind chill is stunning !!!

Posted

Hi folks don't post much on here normally just read everyone else's mesgs lol.

Ive been looking at the weather around my area Aberdeen and would I be right in saying that being so close the coast that it could go pear shaped here. I mind 2010 and when the winds changed to the east it went downhill but again just inland it was much better. There is a thaw on now temps have increase which Id say has more to do with the wind coming of the sea than anything else. So basically am speaking crap unsure.png ......or would I be right in being a bit worried about the snow prospects for here.

Cheers,Lee

I'm not sure Lee but I think you may be right to be worried. Things are much milder than I would like currently and I think anything that falls this evening here (if it does) may be wet rather than white. The consistent "sleet and snow" in the forecasts from the Met Office (and rain in the automated forecasts) make me wonder if it is "sleet for low ground in the east and snow for everyone else inland and/or higher up". I'm not holding my brath for snow based on current conditions. It could be very frustrating watching many other areas get buried!

Posted

snowmapforweb.jpg?w=510&h=668

The Met Office have updated their snow accumulation chart and it's looking good for most of the Lowlands/Grampians. Not loving that hole over Glasgow mind.

Edited by Harve

Posted

Are we sure that the (unforecasted) system in n England isn't coming our way?

Radar shows it just south of Newcastle

It is coming our way but I'm not sure how far north it will get and how much it might weaken. Thats why everyone should remain positive over the next few days - little systems will develop all over the place. We have very cold air moving in and a lot of instability around. This mornings runs were disappointing for some areas such as the South West of Scotland but I've just looked at the GFS 12z and this shows precipitation tracking closer to what it showed prior to today. All to play for for everyone.

Posted

Definitely not going to be scraping frost off the cars tomorrow. But it's shaping up to be the kind of penetrative ground frost that dries the ground as hard as frozen bone.

COLD! Bracing cold and wind starting to pick up. Only good thing perhaps is the frost is not forming as much as it was tuesday night but still cold (and quite icy in places)

Posted

So, Judith on Misreporting Scotland totally ignored the incoming front overnight even though it'll soon be over NI. And, what's this batch heading north from the Midlands? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

If that forecast is wrong (considering there is ppn about) and various parts of Scotland come to a standstill in the morning, we absolutely know who should be held accountable, and it won't be oor Transport Minister.

Posted

So, Judith on Misreporting Scotland totally ignored the incoming front overnight even though it'll soon be over NI. And, what's this batch heading north from the Midlands? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

If that forecast is wrong (considering there is ppn about) and various parts of Scotland come to a standstill in the morning, we absolutely know who should be held accountable, and it won't be oor Transport Minister.

I bet she's right about the sleet in parts of the east ;)

Posted

My respect is increasing every day now for the Nov/Dec 2010 easterly spell that kicked in the door, I need to control my languageed snaw and didnae fanny about. By contrast this mebbes no, mebbes aye event is acting like a total wee ponce !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

I've came to the conclusion that they hate mentioning snow or the possibility of it. In fact I think they hate the weather or talking about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Just home from Dundee and what a Forecast on Reporting Scotland. The East is in for it on Friday evening especially.

I am working in the Boots Late Store in Albert Street, Dundee until 21.00 so could be an interesting drive home.

Also got a phone call this afternoon asking me to cover sickness in Kingussie, in the Cairngorms National Park on Saturday.

Question is will I get home if they close the snow gates?

Can confirm that the South-easterly wind is strengthening off the Tay in Dundee - I was just wearing my shirt and suit and the wind chill was severe walking down from Perth Road to Riverside Drive. cold.gif

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted

Tweet meesage from Aberdeen Airport earlier forecast the arrival late afternoon tomorrow of the precip, but that it 'may not accumulate'.

Given the airport is inland from the city & even they're usure of accumulations, I also do wonder if we'll get rain/sleet rather than snow in Aberdeen. I thought it was slightly warmer leaving the office this evening, & there has been a definite thaw.

Posted

I'm not sure Lee but I think you may be right to be worried. Things are much milder than I would like currently and I think anything that falls this evening here (if it does) may be wet rather than white. The consistent "sleet and snow" in the forecasts from the Met Office (and rain in the automated forecasts) make me wonder if it is "sleet for low ground in the east and snow for everyone else inland and/or higher up". I'm not holding my brath for snow based on current conditions. It could be very frustrating watching many other areas get buried!

Cheers Michael, Thats the answer i was dreading lol