Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

wash your mouth out, no one in work or at home would

Talk to me for 6 months if that happened John

I would get daggers and 'told you it wouldn't snow' jibes from a few people - and they would not be in jest.

Coming closer.......

JK

Posted

Looking at RainToday radar I get the same (horrible !!) feeling - looking at the radar it seems to be just off the Gower Coast - if this hits land in the next hour as likely then we will, with temps of +5 degrees only have rain. Should it turn to snow at 3am as stated elsewhere then I fear with 4+ hours of rain there is no way that snow will settle her. Hope I'm wrong big time but gut is telling me something is not correct. If the low dewpoints are on their way they are cutting it VERY fine to get here without missing the start of the party.

Looking at RainToday radar I get the same (horrible !!) feeling - looking at the radar it seems to be just off the Gower Coast - if this hits land in the next hour as likely then we will, with temps of +5 degrees only have rain. Should it turn to snow at 3am as stated elsewhere then I fear with 4+ hours of rain there is no way that snow will settle her. Hope I'm wrong big time but gut is telling me something is not correct. If the low dewpoints are on their way they are cutting it VERY fine to get here without missing the start of the party.

Thinking the same......:/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Brady said temps will start to fall around 1am

Yeah trust me on this guys, you will see a notable drop in both temp and dp roughly around this time.

Posted

Thats what my underlying 'niggle' is - temperatures - got to drop - but it will be a fine thing - hope then that it would not get an unexpected rise and cause forecasts to be completely caught out.

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy snow will settle on wet surfaces - have seen this many times with rain to snow events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

torn between going to bed for 'work', and staying up watching the fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yeah trust me on this guys, you will see a notable drop in both temp and dp roughly around this time.

if we don't then it will be a horrible mess of sleet and wet snow, with massive downgrades for s and west, highland areas still do well though

Posted

I got that exact problem myself, if I stay awake and something goes wrong im screwed but I want to see the start so I can judge if I should "attempt" the journey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Heavy snow will settle on wet surfaces - have seen this many times with rain to snow events

easy, its a myth that snow doesn't stick on wet surfaces. Low DP's = drier snow, so even though it may take slightly longer, wet ground wont affect it too much, its ground temperature which will also drop when temp drops.

Posted

A snooze on the couch with one eye on the radar may be a half-way house here.

Bit of sleet over North Devon now, too...

Edited by benb

Posted

This thing is going to crawl all over us for hours. Look how little progress on radar the feature from earlier today has made in the cold air.

Posted

Front seems to be moving fairly rapidly to thought it was supposed to be slowing right down not seen evidance of this yet traveling about 20 miles every 5 mins

Posted

Just had a tweet off Liam Dutton and the precipitation is still going to be as intense as predicted and the areas for the most snow still on target.... bang tidy!

JK

Posted

easy, its a myth that snow doesn't stick on wet surfaces. Low DP's = drier snow, so even though it may take slightly longer, wet ground wont affect it too much, its ground temperature which will also drop when temp drops.

All- I respect and value your input - but weather history (some very tortured) confirms to me that for Swansea at 75m above seal level EVERYTHING has to be perfect for snow to settle. This observation dissappears as soon as you go inland any distance ie Pontardawe upwards

Posted

Im staying up, im suppose to be up by six but i think( confident) im having a snow day, if not then i'll be buggered in work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

SNOWING NOW HEAVY IN DORSET , DO THAT SAY SOMETHING TO YOU .

yep

no snow forecast on the 18z for there yet. they were supposed to get it roughly same time as us. cold air is there already.

Posted

Front seems to be moving fairly rapidly to thought it was supposed to be slowing right down not seen evidance of this yet traveling about 20 miles every 5 mins

I think it will slow down when it gets near the front over england.

Posted

Snowing in Plymouth, apparently. good.gif

Posted

Snowing in Plymouth, apparently. good.gif

Raining in Truro!