Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Risen here to 3.5oC still -2 dew point tho and band is just reaching here. If its snow now that be it for sure. It should have started in swansea already

Posted

we have had light snow all day here. It is still coming down, tiny flakes. Radar not picking it up. There is about 3cm now

Not so much down the hill in Mold - hasn't really stuck so only 1cm. Waiting for the main event still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Risen here to 3.5oC still -2 dew point tho and band is just reaching here. If its snow now that be it for sure. It should have started in swansea already

dry here

Posted

Re the relatively high air temps I noticed that on the met office website the temp at midnight it forecast to be 4c and that it only falls later. I'm nervous about the high temp, but it is in line with the forecast and also the dew point is currently at -0.9 so at least that's ok. Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

4c and light rain here in Pembrokeshire

yes expected, latest data showing 2 to half 2 as the main heavy band comes in for rain to turn to snow, question is, can i wait until then? haha

Re the relatively high air temps I noticed that on the met office website the temp at midnight it forecast to be 4c and that it only falls later. I'm nervous about the high temp, but it is in line with the forecast and also the dew point is currently at -0.9 so at least that's ok. Fingers crossed!

Yep, these higher temps have always been forecast before the front arrives, they only drop right as the front is near. Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

when u say snow for sure ? Do you mean its going to start as snow in swansea soon, im confused and nervous at the same time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Dry here too, can still see lights towards burry holmes on the end of the gower so no substantial precipitation falling here yet

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

when u say snow for sure ? Do you mean its going to start as snow in swansea soon, im confused and nervous at the same time

Most likely starting as rain or sleet in Swansea as it's only the light stuff ahead of the main band that arrives about 0200.

Posted

Just got back from walking the dog feels positively warm outside compared to the last few evenings in Bridgend. Its amazing to think in a few hours snow should be falling. I am confident that the met could not issue a red warning only for the majority to get sleet and rain but still theirs that lingering feeling of doubt caused by the feel of the weather on your skin!!!

Posted

seems the projected radar seems to be getting stronger for us in north wales! I think we might have accumulations to rival the south by the end of tomorrow! clapping.gifdrinks.giftease.gif

Posted

Phew, finally the precip develop intensity towards middle and back of band. watch on radar next 30 mins for big increase in intensity.

Posted

The silly comments of doom here are laughable, it's all going as forecast, it will start as rain but as the colder air undercuts it will readily turn to snow and with the dewpoints so low, settling snow is alot more likely than most frontal breakdowns like this where dewpoints are relatively 0+ and not edging into the -2/-3 - I suggest you all go to cysgu for bach o amser and deffro to a winter wonderland :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Nervousness in here is funny ul all have 15cms + of snow in the next 12 hours

I am 99% (or maybe 95%) sure I'm going to get it here, but there's always that what if and of course last minute nerves are kicking in. Mind, I've had those nerves all week since watching each chart come out.

Posted

Heavy rain now into Rhosilli, Gower. Need the cold feed to start digging in soon, front starting to slow down which is a good sign, uppers still marginal at -4C 850hpa.... need a cold surface feed but not happening as yet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice and stormy winds

yes expected, latest data showing 2 to half 2 as the main heavy band comes in for rain to turn to snow, question is, can i wait until then? haha

Yep, these higher temps have always been forecast before the front arrives, they only drop right as the front is near.

bradythemole, the whole Pembrokeshire coast trusts you, you know!

Posted

bradythemole, the whole Pembrokeshire coast trusts you, you know!

haha your location is a lot more marginal than mine however and you will be the last to see it turn to snow due to you being further south. So Milford Haven looks good for snow but you need some luck for accumulations as temps maybe too marginal there, but we will see.

Posted

Radar is looking better and better as it gets closer. smile.png

The red area of intensity seems further south than I thought, looking at the angle that it's travelling, it'll hit the far S Wales and Bristol..

kcfcco.png

Posted

Temps starting to fall here. Now 2.8 with a dewpoint of 1.1c...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

oh well. better go to bed JUST in case...

i've been fooled before! lol

Posted

Heavy rain now into Rhosilli, Gower. Need the cold feed to start digging in soon, front starting to slow down which is a good sign, uppers still marginal at -4C 850hpa.... need a cold surface feed but not happening as yet...

It will dig in as the night progresses, as Cymro said DPs favourable, Gower always marginal at the best of times, take a time for snow to fall there.

Posted

still doing a fair speed inwards tho, red colours on radar now over plymouth but still looks a bit thin towards us is it further south that 1st thought. This is amazing tho like xmas

Posted

Must admit I am sitting watching this with interest. The radar too. As I am in the 'red' area would be real egg if this turned out to be a sleet or rain event. No reports though of this being snow in Wales. so will stay up a little late to see if anything happens as the precipitation hits the higher ground. I am though at a loss to see how the meto can give us a red warning, and a quite small area of wales, and the only part the UK to get that. There must be a reason but cannot work out what.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice and stormy winds

haha your location is a lot more marginal than mine however and you will be the last to see it turn to snow due to you being further south. So Milford Haven looks good for snow but you need some luck for accumulations as temps maybe too marginal there, but we will see.

Thanks for all your info, always of great interest and learning a lot from it. Staying up for a few hours in hope; otherwise the usual trip to the Prescellies tomorrow then!