Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Ok lets compare the Metoffice Hi Res Map compared to the real time radar.

This data was produced earlier on the 18z run

post-16336-0-55488900-1358464776_thumb.p

That is the forecast for 23:00 above

Now the current radar for 23:00

post-16336-0-25611000-1358465089_thumb.p

They are basically identical, light rain as far as whitland with the main heavy band the same distance off the Pembrokeshire coast.

The Metoffice hi res then forecasts this come 3am

post-16336-0-39616200-1358464892_thumb.p

6am

post-16336-0-26417700-1358464936_thumb.p

Now because of how the forecast is nearly identical to current radar now, those forecasts above for 0300 and 0600 will be pretty accurate and both show the main band intensifying greatly in the next 2 hours so lets look out for that. All certainly going to plan. Any wet ground, snow will still stick due to low Dew points creating drier snow, which accumulates easier however we still need lower temps for this and some coastal areas may struggle.

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Just to confirm to those who aren't sure: it's all still going to plan!

Posted

Hi Benb just wondering how you heard it was snowing in Plymouth? Thanks

Sorry just saw it on SW thread, it was just rain 5 mins ago, so looking good!!

Edited by SNOW CRYSTAL

Posted

I just had a look on the M5 mortorway cameras and its raining right down south to be expected but dry further north. I think watching those will be a good indication of whats in store smile.png

for those of us in the swansea area this site is really good if you click on station select.

http://www.wundergro...57&sp=INEATHPO2

bit screwed up on wind direction tho says its comming from North not SE but shows 3oC here 65m above sea level.

Edited by David 'Minty' Hill

Posted

I just had a look on the M5 mortorway cameras and its raining right down south to be expected but dry further north. I think watching those will be a good indication of whats in store smile.png

Staying up and watching the road outside will be a much better indication!

Posted

Looking at radar I am only about 30 mins away so i rekon start should be here about midnight at the current speed so sod it im staying awake.

Posted

Hi Benb just wondering how you heard it was snowing in Plymouth? Thanks

Sorry just saw it on SW thread, it was just rain 5 mins ago, so looking good!!

If you go into the southern./west regionals you will get all the updates there. they are also a very lovely bunch.

Posted

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, this is looking to be a very marginal event. It appears that the snow will be reserved for locations chiefly above 250m and away from the coast. Current temp here up from 2c to 3c in the last hour. Elsewhere, Swansea 6, Barry 5, Cardiff 5, Cwmbran 2. It's just too mild in the populated areas. However some spots are looking more favourable e.g. Brynmawr 0, Brecon 1.

Rain already into west gower and dyfed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

Got work at 6 and got to be in as alot of staff are in the válleys so doubt Ill be seeing them......looks like Ill have a busy day ha sud have an easy route to work in south monmouthshire....never get much snow in newport etc getting home in the evening sud be interesting as people just cant dříve in the snow ......Hope these choose not to dříve

Edited by goosey007

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I am very interested as to whether Llanelli will get a couple of inches, colleagues living in that area say they have never seen more than this before. Certainly a chance. Hopeful of 4 inches minimum here and preferrably 8 inches!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Your all going to be running around the room with excitement once your weather stations report the temp drop after midnight, look at the metoffice high res model here and it shows well when temps drop http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/whitland#?tab=map&fcTime=1358420400&map=Temperature&zoom=8&lon=-4.13&lat=52.11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

omg whats happening rain or snow im off to bed otherwise what a waste of beer, everyone is so down can someone tell me im going to have snow otherwise im going to bed lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Your all going to be running around the room with excitement once your weather stations report the temp drop after midnight, look at the metoffice high res model here and it shows well when temps drop http://www.metoffice...-4.13&lat=52.11

i'll hold you to that one

Posted

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, this is looking to be a very marginal event. It appears that the snow will be reserved for locations chiefly above 250m and away from the coast. Current temp here up from 2c to 3c in the last hour. Elsewhere, Swansea 6, Barry 5, Cardiff 5, Cwmbran 2. It's just too mild in the populated areas. However some spots are looking more favourable e.g. Brynmawr 0, Brecon 1.

Rain already into west gower and dyfed.

Colder uppers and DPs push in later in the night, could be marginal around the coasts for sure as it usually is, but with heavy enough precipitation it should readily turn to snow in Swansea and some other coastal areas though the morning.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Calm down people! Just because it might be 5 degrees doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way!

Posted

Nervousness in here is funny ul all have 15cms + of snow in the next 12 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Temp still holding at 2.1c Dew Point 0.2C Winds ESE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

I am very interested as to whether Llanelli will get a couple of inches, colleagues living in that area say they have never seen more than this before. Certainly a chance. Hopeful of 4 inches minimum here and preferrably 8 inches!

Tony in 2004 I measured 6 inches of snow from a pembrokeshire dangler, which is the most I've ever seen. We were very lucky that night since the streamer ran through Llanelli and some surrounding areas for many hours in the night. Apart from that 2 inches would of been the most I can remember since the start of the 90's.

Edited by Scarlet_Snow

Posted

2.9c DP -0.1c here, temps stable all evening, so confident it will start as snow here.

Posted

we have had light snow all day here. It is still coming down, tiny flakes. Radar not picking it up. There is about 3cm now

Posted

Tony in 2004 I measured 6 inches off a pembrokeshire dangler, which is the most I've ever seen. We were very lucky that night since the streamer ran through Llanelli and some surrounding areas for many hours in the night. Apart from that 2 inches would of been the most I can remember since the start of the 90's.

Thanks memories are fallible as ever.