Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

I just saw 'Derek's forecast' on BBC and it shows the snow stopping for Swansea/ Neath area by 12pm. I through it was in until around 6pm wacko.png

Don't really think we can 100% follow Derek or the national BBC forecast. MetO do NOT just issue a red /amber warning 18hours+ before an "event" without substantial evidence to back it up. WalesAirGroup posted earlier on that the public services (police, ambulance etc) had the heads up before making the warning public. It's happening folks!!

MetO forecast to-ing and fro-ing between heavy snow for my location and back to sleet and then back to heavy snow again. The truth is we cannot know 100% what is going to happen. The statistics suggest that we will get more than enough snow to make up for a dismal winter so far.

As far as next week goes, que sera, sera - whatever will be will be (join in if you know the tune).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Ok SKY, BBC and ITV are all going to be in AberG tomorrow and have turned up tonight. Is .... there....something i should be aware of.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

blowing well out there

just did a rough count on the precip chart, and I could see 28 cms of snow by the time this is finished, blowing around. wild.

Posted

This is great, I feel like it's Christmas Eve when I was a kid. Can't wait to see if I get any snow tomorrow morning, hoping for a snow day off work! Debating whether to stay up or wake up really early in the morning and watch the snow fall and hopefully build up.

Currently stuck at 3.8 with dew point at -0.1.

i know I feel exactly the same,even at my age!!!!

Posted

Ok SKY, BBC and ITV are all going to be in AberG tomorrow and have turned up tonight. Is .... there....something i should be aware of.........

Yep - they won't be able to get any further into Wales due to the 15ft drifts blocking the M4 and other major routes in the South!

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Looking at the radar the heavier bursts currently further north than South Wales and more into Southern Ireland - am I missing something here or is the angle of attack taking a more northerly route? It looks like a narrower band initially and I have a funny feeling my curtains will be open to just an inch of snow and having to go to work in Cardiff all apologetic becasue they will blame me for the fact there is no snow.

JK

Posted

Light snow all day here. Light dusting only as melting as fast as it settles...settling a bit more now as temp has fallen from ~3C to 1.5C. For some reason MO radar showing no precipitation in vicinity at present? Any chance NE Wales is gonna steal the heaviest falls from you Southerners tomorrow? 😊
Same in Mold - nothing on radar but snowed lightly for 5 hours. Not complaining - just a thin layer atm though

Looking at the radar the heavier bursts currently further north than South Wales and more into Southern Ireland - am I missing something here or is the angle of attack taking a more northerly route? It looks like a narrower band initially and I have a funny feeling my curtains will be open to just an inch of snow and having to go to work in Cardiff all apologetic becasue they will blame me for the fact there is no snow.

JK

I think the precipitation over Ireland is heavier as it's over land - that's what it will look like when it's over you!!!

Posted

JK

The rain today radar is showing the front really beefing up as it approaches land. South Wales is in for a battering no doubt about it. North Wales may well get a fair bit as well by the looks of things.

Posted

Lets hope they haven't jinxed it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

right after being electrocuted by batteries, hanging like a tree in the wind and trying to change the batteries in your weather station I report a dewpoint of 0.4c...sleet here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Light rain infront of main band has arrived, this expected until main band (which will be of snow) pushes in at around 2am. Temp 4c light rain currently, all running as expected

Posted

you won't get there and the atlantic won't win for possibly 2 - 3 weeks yet - the cold will not budge - and it will be rinse and repeat - rinse and repeat - just spent over £200 on essentials - I know what's coming - I'm bloody scared to be honest - the level of snow will be at record levels - this will be like nothing anyone living now has pretty much seen before - I asked a few people in tescos - do you know how bad it's gonna be - and they looked at me blankly - sort of to say - aaaaaaaah it'll be all over by sunday - fools - this is gonna be the SNOWMAGGEDON TO END ALL SNOWMAGEDDONS - IT WILL BE AMAZING - AND HOPEFULL I WILL LIVE THROUGH IT!

What a total legend!

Posted

First bits of sleet appearing over central eastern Pembs on the Netweather radar...

Can I say... 'And so it begins...' in a Lord of the Rings style? drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Very quiet up here,eerily so in fact.

Wind is picking up though.

Started a bit of a blow up here as well. Not long came in and it certainly is eerie out there as you say.....

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Temperatures better start dropping because at 3.7C rain or sleet is going to fall

Posted

I love cold weather and snow but that band of precipitation needs to pull itself together before it gets to S Wales! Disappointing considering the alerts in place.

Looks on track to me

Forget what ireland's having because it might be heavy but it's rain so they can keep it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Temperatures not forecast to drop sig until after midnight so any precip before then will be rain/sleet, light rain here, blowing an absolute gale however. Can see this turning to snow quite quickly once main heavy band arrives at 2 ish

Posted

JK

wash your mouth out, no one in work or at home would

Talk to me for 6 months if that happened John

Posted

I love cold weather and snow but that band of precipitation needs to pull itself together before it gets to S Wales! Disappointing considering the alerts in place.

It may not have fully occluded yet.

Posted

Temp seems to be increasing here in Barry, currently 3.7C. Also dewpoint is rising, now at 0.0c this has now risen 1.0c in the last hour

Posted

JK

Looking at RainToday radar I get the same (horrible !!) feeling - looking at the radar it seems to be just off the Gower Coast - if this hits land in the next hour as likely then we will, with temps of +5 degrees only have rain. Should it turn to snow at 3am as stated elsewhere then I fear with 4+ hours of rain there is no way that snow will settle her. Hope I'm wrong big time but gut is telling me something is not correct. If the low dewpoints are on their way they are cutting it VERY fine to get here without missing the start of the party.

Posted

Sky will send their roving reporter ' Clueless Kay Burley' some people have all the luck.sorry.gif Lol Edited by jackyork73