Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

@HotCuppa - I am now doubtful of any significant snow in this area tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy and cold with a temp of 1.5c and the odd flurry of dandruff.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

its been snowing since 415pm, and still going now, but that being said its more in the way of wet snow, and not sticking as it was previously.

Posted

Was there any snow in manchester from the feb 1996 event?....I'm not sure if im remembering the correct event ,I remember there was snow that winter ,about 6 odd inches.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

@HotCuppa - I am now doubtful of any significant snow in this area tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

Nope you're not getting any

Posted

Nope you're not getting any

:rofl: Go back to your rain Ste. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

honestly i think it will be a dandruff event for cumbria, 1cm max, think cheshire and liverpool area will do well though.

Posted

Was there any snow in manchester from the feb 1996 event?....I'm not sure if im remebering the correct event ,I remember there was snow that winter ,about 6 odd inches.

Yes a good few inches but nowhere near as much as other places.

Would b chuffed with tht tomorrow.

Posted

airport going with light snow from 6-10am, then heavy snow from 10am - 5pm, think we are fine

Posted

If this was the day before the Feb 1996 event, and we had all the models back then as we do now, i wonder how much upgrading / downgrading would have happened prior to it? If i remember correctly that event wasn't meant to last too long, then it stalled and nearly made history in the North West??

Interesting point, the forecasts running up to it warned over a possible event, Friday night's weatherview by Ian McCaskill warned of more wintry weather on Monday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

rofl.gif Go back to your rain Ste. blum.gif

sleet sorry.gif

No problem, I'll be snowed in tomorrow!

Posted

Was there any snow in manchester from the feb 1996 event?....I'm not sure if im remebering the correct event ,I remember there was snow that winter ,about 6 odd inches.

Yes, the system was more vertically aligned and gave 6-7 inches here so I would have thought Manchester got about the same although of course there were some huge totals in the West of the region.

As for tomorrow, I have to say I've not known the GFS PPN forecasts to be far wrong at short range and both the 12z and 18z were decent for the region so fingers crossed.

Posted

airport going with light snow from 6-10am, then heavy snow from 10am - 5pm, think we are fine

Hope the airports are correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Interesting point, the forecasts running up to it warned over a possible event, Friday night's weatherview by Ian McCaskill warned of more wintry weather on Monday

and that was an occluded front too

Posted

NOTAMS ? not sure what this is but thank you so much What is it?

NOTAM = Notice To Airmen

If there's such things like icing on the runway/taxiway, snow drifting, snow clearance, etc, it'll all be on the NOTAM.

Posted

sleet sorry.gif

No problem, I'll be snowed in tomorrow!

See, this is why there are palm trees on the wirral, ahaha.

Posted

For cumbria the BBC are suggesting snow moving into Southern parts of the county by early eve but it looks like it will fizzle as it moves further North and west across the county. However heavy snow showers are also expected to affect eastern and central parts of the county on sat aided by the strong east wind could we see a similiar sat to sat 27 Jan

Posted

Literally just found these after thinking i had deleted the only ones when i sold my old phone. Im just posting these merely to show what happened in the time period. This really was EPIC!

The beginning 17/12/09:-

post-10918-0-16698400-1358461600_thumb.j

shok.gif

By 20/12/09

post-10918-0-96554500-1358462353_thumb.j

Note slight thaw sad.png

However by 22/12/09 This happened

post-10918-0-28127100-1358462356_thumb.j

On my way to check on my dad between Dukinfield and Hydeblink.png

Now i must point out i remember winter 82 or was it 83 anyway it was THAT cold one tongue.png and the next pic was taken where i lived at this time but its 20/12/09, Snow here is at this point deeper than 82/3

post-10918-0-81076300-1358462358_thumb.j

Stockport

And then carnage 05/01/10-06/01/10

post-10918-0-47077600-1358462361_thumb.j

post-10918-0-84409600-1358462363_thumb.j

post-10918-0-27767100-1358462366_thumb.j

crazy.gifyahoo.gifdrunk.gif

Sorry if this bored the hell out of you but it does illustrate that nothing is impossible and these events DO happen i just hope that it really doesnt turn out to be THAT once in a lifetime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Latest BBC forecast still reluctant to bring North Eastern parts of the North West into play until late on Friday and maybe into Saturday, when the eastery winds may drive clusters of showers quite easily over the pennines. I think if I don't get much tomorrow during the day then hopefully there may be optimism later on Friday evening.

I think you are bang on with the Easterly comment. The irony of us getting more from the Easterly than the west from this event would not be lost on me after the "who cares if this backs west" comments :)

Posted

Looking like the snow is about to stop here soon but I'm more than happy with this somewhat unexpected cover.

A few more pics of the couple of cm, happy :)

post-14390-0-15601300-1358462844_thumb.jpost-14390-0-59772600-1358462905_thumb.jpost-14390-0-48628100-1358462969_thumb.j

Posted

Kevin, that 1996 setup is eerily similar to ours, in fact so similar that it's the the same sort of evolution as today.. sleet to begin, then heavy snow later on, with big accumulations! Interestingly despite all that snow, we didn't get severe overnight temperatures.

Posted

6YRip.png

For 0000 Friday until 0000 Saturday. Very amateur prediction !

I've been following the North west regional thread for years. (First post, go easy.) This graphic is the best forecast I've seen ever.

I'm in the North West of the North West region (Wigton, 12 miles due West of Carlisle) and being on the Solway plain we never get snow. I'm ignoring all the forecasts and will be looking out the window tomorrow.