Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted

Snow here in Castlereagh Hills has thawed, not much around - mainly on grasses/hedges etc .. road is pretty much wet now ... on and off sleet/snow/graupel showers all day

Posted

Well to be honest I'm actually astounded to see a weather warning for snow for Northern Ireland or ireland . I really cannot see snow for anybody really and that includes the east coast. You need precipitation for snow and that is getting reduced by the minute on the radar. I think they are going to get this very wrong indeed. Latest bbc weather showed very little if any snow for anybody. But we will see

Posted

Well to be honest I'm actually astounded to see a weather warning for snow for Northern Ireland or ireland . I really cannot see snow for anybody really and that includes the east coast. You need precipitation for snow and that is getting reduced by the minute on the radar. I think they are going to get this very wrong indeed. Latest bbc weather showed very little if any snow for anybody. But we will see

Always the way - when it's forecast, it doesn't happen, when it isn't forecast it does happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plenty of it!

You would be correct about the east but the little that falls will settle and freeze hard from now. There is a possibility of a genteel accumulation over teh course of the week absent any decent precip and a chance of a tad more if the more most UK airmass excurses west on occasion.

Well to be honest I'm actually astounded to see a weather warning for snow for Northern Ireland or ireland . I really cannot see snow for anybody really and that includes the east coast. You need precipitation for snow and that is getting reduced by the minute on the radar.

A stalling front in the very south west may deposit some in the south west overnight.That is on radar...eg Raintoday.

None of these falls will be anything like the falls in nearby Wales of course.

Posted

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 00Z makes nice reading. An area north of a line from Mayo to Wicklow has sleet and snow. There's a marked trough across central and east Ulster.

Another area south of a line from Mayo to Cork contains the front and contains rain and sleet, with occasional graupel showers and light snow.

In between, mist and fog, with a risk of freezing fog.

DUB TAF

TAF EIDW 201700Z 2018/2118 10014KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 TEMPO 2019/2109 5000 -SN BKN010 BKN018 BECMG 2108/2110 09005KT TEMPO 2109/2118 5000 -RASN BKN012 =

CASEMENT

TAF EIME 201700Z 2018/2103 10006KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 TEMPO 2018/2103 5000 -SN BKN010 OVC020 =

SHANNON

TAF EINN 201700Z 2018/2118 10010KT 9999 SCT015 BKN030 BECMG 2020/2022 5000 -RASN -SN BKN012 TEMPO 2022/2109 3000 -SN BKN008 =

CORK

TAF EICK 201700Z 2018/2118 09015KT 9999 SCT008 BKN014 TEMPO 2018/2021 4000 -RASN BKN005 BECMG 2021/2024 3000 -RASN SCT001 BKN004 PROB40 TEMPO 2100/2109 1200 -SN BKN001 BECMG 2103/2106 VRB03KT BECMG 2112/2114 29007KT 9999 NSW SCT015 BKN030 =

KNOCK

TAF EIKN 201700Z 2018/2118 12012KT 9999 FEW015 BKN040 TEMPO 2100/2107 BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 2107/2112 10006KT 5000 -SN BKN005 BKN015 =

BELFAST Aldergrove

TAF EGAA 201655Z 2018/2118 09012KT 9999 FEW012 BKN035 PROB30 TEMPO 2018/2103 3000 SHSN BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 2103/2118 2000 SHSN BKN005=

Posted

Not looking great for central parts after the 6.25pm broadcast.

Typical... an active front can make it here and burst through when its full of rain... when it's snow it can't cross the bloomin Galtees.

Posted

been snowing on and off here since about 3pm. just starting to settle now. cars and grass white. temp 0.6c. drove out to the village of corcaghan just outside monaghan which sits at around 650 feet asl and was about 3 inches on the ground from friday.

Posted

Very light snow been falling for a while here still even though the there's nothing really showing on radar. Had cleared car windows for the morning a couple of hours ago and they're covered again. East Antrim hills have done very well from this event, took a tape measure to a chair on the patio earlier and there's about 7" of snow on it.

Seen on Countryfile more due tomorrow.

Edited by Watsy

Posted

http://expert-images...012200_2012.gif

High impact event forecast for Ireland tomorrow EVE

not often you see those purples in THAT region!

S

down south looks like it could be in for something alright. thanks for the input Steve.

Looks like a good band of showers starting to build on the Irish sea. destination Dublin :)

Posted

Again today there's been a capping inversion at around 800 hPa over the Irish Sea that has been surpressing convection. Steering winds have been ESE'ly, but should turn more easterly during the night as the ridge erodes and the low approaces from the SE. This should mean we will see the Irish Sea finally get the finger out and maybe give something decent along the east coast by morning.

Light snow showers continue on and off at Dublin Airport, and Ballyhaise reported snow at 2100. Casement's 2000Z TAF delayed the arrival of snow until 2100....but we're still waiting.

sondagegfs_110_33_3_1_1358711988.png

Edited by Su Campu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Certainly not a cold spell for me. 20miles inland and there hasn't been a frost here since last Wednesday

If you look out my window you wonder what all the fuss is about

Quite pathetic here

Posted

Certainly not a cold spell for me. 20miles inland and there hasn't been a frost here since last Wednesday

If you look out my window you wonder what all the fuss is about

Quite pathetic here

Exactly the same here Beaufort, no snow is one thing but not even getting a frost is laughable after all the hype. It is was it is I suppose and I am generally quite realistic bout how many variables have to come together for my part of the world to get a decent pasting but it still sucks when you're surrounded by streamers that won't play ball. What is your location Beaufort?

Posted

A very dissapointing day for me.

Had some small snow showers but nothing much considering the precipitation that was offshore.

Still the BBC weather forecast seems quite bullish about heavy snow showers in Eastern areas of Down so will just have to wait and see.

Posted

A very dissapointing day for me.

Had some small snow showers but nothing much considering the precipitation that was offshore.

Still the BBC weather forecast seems quite bullish about heavy snow showers in Eastern areas of Down so will just have to wait and see.

I am prepared for a disappointment tonight to be honest - especially given the milder feel to the air

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The wind is forecast to go to a northeast direction over the irish sea later tonight,which is usually a good wind direction for my location when it comes to getting any showers that may develop.

Posted

nice updated weather warning from met eireann

Weather Warning

Issued at 20 January 2013 - 22:17

Snow

Eastern counties of Ulster and Leinster will experience wintry showers overnight and during Monday. Near the coast the showers will mainly fall as sleet, with any snow quickly melting on the ground. However, further inland, and especially on higher ground, snow will tend to accumulate to depths of 3 to 8cm.

Also, in west Munster, and possibly southern parts of Connacht, rain and sleet will turn to snow inland with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm, and up to 15 cm in the Kerry and Cork mountains.

Valid 22:00 Sunday 20th January to 16:00 Monday 21st January 2013

Posted

A mild feeling outdoors tonight, i expect nothing from this "spell" now.

Ballicks to it anyway!