Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The band is literally knocking on the door of West Cheshire and the Wirral now (surely this band is further north and east than progged at present)?

yeh on the bbc graphics the band is well short of north wales coast at 8am :)

Posted

I've looked and looked again on the MeteoGroup radar and the boundary of the front must be through Hawarden, and just a smidgen SW of the Dee Estaury.

The precip. on the leading edge seems to have intensified in the last hour filling in the gap between last night's mini front and the main band. Just over the Dee from the Wirral now - still time for the UKMET to be right but still looking very promising IMO for areas to the N and E. just how far N and E remains to be seen.

Posted

I've looked and looked again on the MeteoGroup radar and the boundary of the front must be through Hawarden, and just a smidgen SW of the Dee Estaury.

Just checked it on mine and indeed it is.

Posted

Good morning :)

Currently 0.7 °C Dp -2.9 °C

There were a few flakes blowing in the wind at 6am. Looks like the front is making steady progress to the SW of the region. Fingers crossed it keeps moving :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Is this at all likely to push as far n as the Fylde? Sorry for the imby-ishness guys.

Posted

Also notice, echoes have developed in the Irish Sea the gap between the main band and the Isle of Man seems to filling in.

I think those further North could also see snow, not from the main band but from the above.

Posted

What are peoples feelings on this now it is at our doorstep?

I'm sticking with the GFS predictions that the front will get much further N and E than the UKMET is suggesting. I'll temper this by saying it's purely based on my own opinion which in turn is based on the fact that the GFS has stubbornly stuck to its guns since last nights 00Z i.e. the 06Z 12Z 18Z and 00Z (latest) have all shown the same thing in the reliable T-24-36 Hour timeframe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The front is losing intensity all the time (as forecast) but should still provide some accumulations as it continues to track slowly northwards.

Light snow falling here but not amounting to much and it's bitterly cold in very strong ESE'ly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Also notice, echoes have developed in the Irish Sea, the gap between the main band and the Isle of Man seems to be filling in.

I like the sound of that.

Posted

I'm sticking with the GFS predictions that the front will get much further N and E than the UKMET is suggesting. I'll temper this by saying it's purely based on my own opinion which in turn is based on the fact that the GFS has stubbornly stuck to its guns since last nights 00Z i.e. the 06Z 12Z 18Z and 00Z (latest) have all shown the same thing in the reliable T-24-36 Hour timeframe.

Yes the GFS as certainly been bullish regarding the Northern and Eastern extent of this.

Posted

so in your view how many hours of Snow for South Cheshire(Macclesfield) to come today?

Posted

06:30am MeteoGroup radar frame - the main front has now merged with last night's front :)

It is now straddling the Dee Estuary, and some moderate precipitation must be affecting Crewe by now I would have thought?

Very, very cautiously optimistic...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Looking at the latest radar images the main band is from the SW - the GFS ppn chart shows a certain amount of less intensity as it approaches BUT the winds look SE which could force the main band into a more Northerly direction - light flurries still here near Wilpshire.

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Lets hope the GFS is correct bringing the snowfall over the whole of NW England today, the 00z would still produce blizzards later with snow starting here from 3pm and becoming heavier with gale force winds.

Posted

The front seems to be having a tough time making progress on the Irish side, like it's hit a wall below Belfast. The area over Wales however seems to be making steady progress. Is it possible that the area of LP that was expected to form over the Irish Sea has developed over Ireland and will slingshot the front over the NW region?

Posted

so in your view how many hours of Snow for South Cheshire(Macclesfield) to come today?

Well according to the GFS 00Z the precip hits there between 9AM and midday and doesn't stop until after midnight. Therefore if the GFS is close you could be looking at approaching 12 hours of the stuff. It's a big IF though and it's probably mostly light stuff like last night with maybe some heavier bursts in there at times.