Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

although i say this looking at the met office radar there does look like there is still possible modrate fall still to come for some.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well my smallish amount from earlier of 40mm has doubled to more than 80mm now, which converts to 8cm for those who struggle with such things and that equates to roughly 3 1/4 inches.

Happy bunny now with much more to come, hopefully I can keep the melting at bay.

Air Temperature -1.3c, DP -1.9c and intriguingly a falling rapidly barometer trend from 1000.9mb as things currently stand.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Progress of the front through this afternoon courtesy of Sat Rep:

LOC_20130118_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

post-15744-0-09195700-1358508187_thumb.j

post-15744-0-91203600-1358508292_thumb.j

post-15744-0-97921800-1358508323_thumb.j

post-15744-0-57803600-1358508346_thumb.j

post-15744-0-02017000-1358508377_thumb.j

post-15744-0-35265300-1358508413_thumb.j

Edited by Karl83

Posted

Woke up to absolutely nothing at all and two very disappointed children.... Then at 8am the heavens opened and it hasn't stopped since!

We have an inch at the moment (nipped out of the office with my ruler biggrin.png much to the amusement of my colleagues!)

Plenty of morons on the road to make driving a hazard. Driving too fast, too close together and with no lights

Coming down thick and fast - think I will go home in a minute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Currently have 3" snow here and still falling, just been out in the garden!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Looks awesome!

Yes certainly is and did not expect quite so much!

Posted

Well, I've always been happy with my 5 inches, none more so than now! dirol.gif

Built a humungous snowman & just having a good strong coffee to keep me going for sledging this afternoon.

Still snowing lightly, with the odd heavier burst, so that's 8 hours & counting (yes, I was another saddo awake at half 3 this morning!)

Temp briefly rose to +0.2 & now back to -0.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Medium to heavy snow fall once again - at least 4 inches now! Wind chill has been a steady 0.1c since 7.00am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

I live very close to the sea and its still snowing. I would say that it is melting from the bottom quicker than it settling on the top.

Posted

For those of you to the east of Salisbury, the snow we have currently is still pretty heavy.

The good times continue to roll.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Gone very heavy again here in Kinson-Bournemouth

Heavy snow sleet rain, what?

I like you, believe this is only the start towards a rather prolonged spell of wintry excitement for a whole lot of us. drinks.gif

Posted

I like you, believe this is only the start towards a rather prolonged spell of wintry excitement for a whole lot of us. drinks.gif

Very heavy snow right now, quite a few showers coming in, wind really veering east now. Temps staying steady now too, all looking good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just popped outside and then ran back upstairs to the missus, my face glowing with cold I declared..."Hey Wench, get yourself sorted and come and get 6 inches of fun!".....to which she replied sarcastically and without even looking out of the window..."6 inches, there you go again, exaggerating again!"......Why do I get that nagging feeling that she wasn't referring to the snow? wacko.png

Posted

For those far more knowledgeable myself, am I right in thinking that the Bristol Channel can be conducive to producing lake effect snow? Obviously not a lake, but similar effect!!

Yes, but not really much - its only around 6/7oC in much of the channel in the winter, so the gradient between the temp of the air and sea isnt that great (so not to many increases in convection and therefore showers) however, it certainly does no harm!

I will post a snippet of the NW radar (as im not really allowed)

The PPN 45 mins ago was this:

post-9222-0-13619400-1358509109_thumb.pn

Now at 11:25 its clearly building:

post-9222-0-91324000-1358509120_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Do you really reckon? Can't believe I want more snow after the dumping we have received already. Greedy or what! Bring it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

12.5 cm so far!

-0.4oC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Moderate snow again,, temp showing 0.2c

Posted

Very heavy snow right now, quite a few showers coming in, wind really veering east now. Temps staying steady now too, all looking good!

Thanks and well done, the Bournemouth snow shield has well and truly burst alongside a few other coastal localaties.

Keep sending in the reports and check out your local Barometer trend as I think some unforeseen development is taking place right now. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Does anyone know if temps are expected to fall below zero tonight or is our snow likely to just melt,till the next lot of course?

Posted

Just popped outside and then ran back upstairs to the missus, my face glowing with cold I declared..."Hey Wench, get yourself sorted and come and get 6 inches of fun!".....to which she replied sarcastically and without even looking out of the window..."6 inches, there you go again, exaggerating again!"......Why do I get that nagging feeling that she wasn't referring to the snow? wacko.png

All said without the swear filter being breached as well. acute.gif Over in a certain other thread the word (if this doesn't say (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockroft always seems to make it through barely without notice. search.gif

I personally have around about 3 1/4 inches right now but it is rising all the time.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Rooster_crowing.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Do you really reckon? Can't believe I want more snow after the dumping we have received already. Greedy or what! Bring it on!

Could quite possibly be getting more next week mate.

Things are looking very Wintery, not just outside my window now, but also in the model output.

Anyway, I'm enjoying what we have now, off out for a country walk now. Will look at next week in a bit more detail tomorrow.