Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

sky is getting very dark again out to my w/sw, can't see much on the met office radar though near by except light stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Apparently Woolwell had a little.

Yes we had a fair bit. 2 inches which is 2 inches more than i thought we would get. Can imagine the depth increases out to yelverton and beyond quite quickly.

The snow line appears to be crownhill. In work now and the town centre is cold wet and drab

Posted

Hoping for a little more snow in Ferndown. It's not really doing that much at the moment ... can anyone let me know if there is any heavy precipitation to the east that's on its way to us?

From the east no. It should get more sporadic from the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Time to have a proper look at the charts and see whats going on for next few days, not had a look yet!

I have and there is alot of differences past t96. GFS 06z has moved abit nearer to ECM which for the 06 is good news. 12z's may give us a better idea this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Yes we had a fair bit. 2 inches which is 2 inches more than i thought we would get. Can imagine the depth increases out to yelverton and beyond quite quickly.

The snow line appears to be crownhill. In work now and the town centre is cold wet and drab

Walked in to town first thing. Horrible! Really makes your bones cold!

Posted

3" (7.5cm) measured with a ruler here in north east Hampshire. In this part of the region we are 35-50% into the event in terms of amount of snow. On this basis I should get at least 6" which is at the top end of what I thought possible. I would imagine that some areas to the immediate south west of here will get a bit more. especially on high ground.

This could be the sweet spot in our region other than some areas in Gloucestershire which could get more, maybe quite a lot more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

ahhh the joys of winning a bet smile.png

light flurrys here and i have had about 6 inches in my walled garden ..

Looks more than 6 inches where I am looking rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Gona travel back to Gosport soon as don't want o get stuck in petersfield

Reckon I missed the best snow at 8am this morning ha ha

its very light here in havant now sky is lighter aswell i dont see anymore heavy falls today so id say its fairly safe bet you wont get stranded.

Posted

ahhh the joys of winning a bet smile.png

light flurrys here and i have had about 6 inches in my walled garden ..

Hope that bet was worth it :)

My corner shop is selling wellies and wooly hats outside.

Its pretty treacherous here under foot

Stopped snowing now in gosport

i see the m27 roadside message signs are reading 'IS YOUR VEHICLE READY FOR WINTER', bit late for that I think!

Posted

At work in Ringwood, it stopped for a while, thought that was it, but its got heavy again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I'm thinking there must be some more from somewhere because my met office forecast gives me heavy snow all the way to 6pm??!! currently light snow and 0.0c

yeah most likely light snow from the fragmented area but i expect it to simply dye away now but looks very pretty kids love it and its very fine snow now perhaps boarderline sleet but hopefully we get through the day without losing to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Is there anything significant in the offing for us in the near term?

Next 72 cold but not much more in the way of snow down here i would suggest but I think the output is struggling longer term and I don't see it going the way the GFS is showing at the moment.

Edited by snow drift

Posted

I tell you what, the ppn is pepping up in south Wales and into the Brizzle channel a bit...something to watch, maybe the NAE is correct?!

Edited by Paul T

Posted

Just got back home from my walk. My school had to be the only secondary school in Swindon open today, and after a 40 minute walk getting there, it was open for a grand total of 20 minutes before we were all booted out and then another 40 minute walk home. I wasn't too happy with that. Nothing around here has been gritted, and roads are impassable. I'd advise you don't travel through or near Swindon unless urgent. Busses are running, but very slow and behind timetable, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped running altogether in the next hour or two with a couple of hours of Heavy snow still to come. Stay safe all!

Currently about 4-5 Inches of snow here, with drifts in exposed areas of about 10 inches.

Just been out to take the missus to an urgent hospital appointment. Very nearly got stuck in the hospital car park! As Sainsbo says, most roads are gridlocked with cars skidding all over the place. The roads HAVE been gritted and they are continuing to do so (I know because one passed me in the other direction and sprayed my car :( ) but it's coming down so quick, it's not really having any effect.

Good fun though in a rear wheel drive car! Since mine is lowered and has a front lip spoiler, it's turned into a snow plough!

IMG_20130118_110420.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

I thought we had seen the last f it here in Wellington ,but it is still going.

Posted

woha its now belting it down again small flakes 5mm or so but its comeing down like mad..maybe a few more cm's in it yet ..

just looked out the front door and the a350 westbury is very very quiet ..

Posted

Looks like quite a few showers all along the south coast tonight and into tomorrow, winds then vear to the east with a chance of showers spreading inland, dont think we have seen the last of this yet, Going to feel very cold in the wind tomorrow! Sunday afternoon looks lively for the east of the UK again chance for eastern areas ro see more snow, Portsmouth southamption, possibly further west too, Just have to see what this afternoons runs say but good signs for more snow showers!

Edited by Rapodo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

I tell you what, the ppn is pepping up in south Wales and into the Brizzle channel a bit...something to watch, maybe the NAE is correct?!

What did it show?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please

For those far more knowledgeable myself, am I right in thinking that the Bristol Channel can be conducive to producing lake effect snow? Obviously not a lake, but similar effect!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Precip coming in off the sea is pepping up as it hits land fall perhaps that's why met office have snow on us all day. Snowing harder again now.