Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Still coming down in ryde.way surpassed my expectations :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

10 mm on AWS so prob about 12.5mm in copper gauge,bit of snow in camelford,otterham,altanun and lauceston.radio talking about plenty of surface flooding in west cornwall.

Thanks for the report, in terms of rainfall, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse, so you can only be thankful for that.

Good to see the higher parts get some, as I imagine that wasn't exactly expected, just shows how the cold air is digging in. good.gif

Disappointed really. We have maybe 4cm here at best, and a melt is very much set in. Snow has all but died out. Damp squib. Bring on this next event.

Maybe rubbish by scottish highland standards but pretty good for the west country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I can't remember Sky going off in 2010? cc_confused.gif

Luckily I remembered I have freeview upstairs so managed to get my forecast fix.

My dish and lnb are covered again but sky is working here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Hope everyone got a proper dumping! Looking forward to the pics!

2.7 degrees in plymouth 90% humidity. Cold drizzle I suppose you'd call it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

So, just tallying things up, as I haven't had a chance to read 998 posts in the last 8 hours.

Has it snowed in................................

Coastal Dorset regions, such as Poole, Bournemouth, Weymouth etc.

Coastal Devon

Isle of Wight

Other regions of the Costa del South Coast

Lastly, how much rain has fallen in parts of Cornwall and Devon, for example.

we had at least 6inches here in sunny costa southcoast rather different to the palm trees and fit girls in bikinis lol.

and its hammering it down again but didnt show anything on the radar i dont know how the isle of white peeps are doing because i assume its hitting them first unless its west to east.

Posted

Hope everyone got a proper dumping! Looking forward to the pics!

2.7 degrees in plymouth 90% humidity. Cold drizzle I suppose you'd call it.

was 4 c here in car just now

Posted

Any further updates guys n gals.

It seems I can cross a few locations off, so hopefully this marginality that a whole lot of us were concerned about has disappeared for now or at least, been delayed.

So, to repeat.

Has it snowed in................................

Coastal Dorset regions, such as Poole, Bournemouth, Weymouth etc.

Coastal Devon

Isle of Wight

Other regions of the Costa del South Coast

Lastly, how much rain has fallen in parts of Cornwall and Devon, for example.

Think it is probably very hit and miss for S/E devon. Southern end of exeter down in the river basin it is rain/sleet, get north of the town centre, say above 50m asl, and it's wet snow but not really settling, the northern edge of town which is 70-80m asl looks like a winter wonderland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nope I was excited last night woke up at 3 looked out and had gale force winds and heavy rain, has been ever since! But gone quiet now just drizzle shame as I was so close to the yellow warning

Unlucky, try and find some elevation around your way if at all possible.

Posted

If the 12pm and 3pm NAE PPN charts are to be believed, then this should be sizeable and move on up the bristol channel to south Wales, North Somerset and Glouse...i remain scepticle

post-9222-0-05951000-1358504970_thumb.pn

I love days like this i don't mind even if its light snow its lovely :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

It is now a mixture of grauple, snizzle, snow and freezing rain. It really hurts your face when the wind blows!!! But its good pain ;) Snow has started to slowly melt underfoot and on roof tops.

Posted

was 4 c here in car just now

I guess torpoint is closer to cornwall and the sea. But 2.8 now so could be on the rise.

I'm in St Judes. Can see the sound from my window and it looks murky out there

Posted

Agree Paul - NAE (and GFS) 06z ppn bears no resemblance to reality currently. Hope for some pepping up from that. Still, mustn't grumble - a good 10cm here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Snow stopped here, we have had around 7cm's which is not to shabby. Hopefully to to much melt.

Posted

Disappointed really. We have maybe 4cm here at best, and a melt is very much set in. Snow has all but died out. Damp squib. Bring on this next event.

Only 40mm here too but I can expect a fair few hours of light snow to come I guess. You'll get more yet I reckons.

Posted

I guess torpoint is closer to cornwall and the sea. But 2.8 now so could be on the rise.

I'm in St Judes. Can see the sound from my window and it looks murky out there

Apparently Plymouth did have at least a little bit of snow which is nice!!

Just got back home from my walk. My school had to be the only secondary school in Swindon open today, and after a 40 minute walk getting there, it was open for a grand total of 20 minutes before we were all booted out and then another 40 minute walk home. I wasn't too happy with that. Nothing around here has been gritted, and roads are impassable. I'd advise you don't travel through or near Swindon unless urgent. Busses are running, but very slow and behind timetable, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped running altogether in the next hour or two with a couple of hours of Heavy snow still to come. Stay safe all!

Currently about 4-5 Inches of snow here, with drifts in exposed areas of about 10 inches.

SNOW_zps28fd93a7.png

Posted

So with the instant melt and of course a band coming from the west, what makes an event like this stick? Last thing parts of Devon and Somerset need is a fast snow melt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

we had at least 6inches here in sunny costa southcoast rather different to the palm trees and fit girls in bikinis lol.

and its hammering it down again but didnt show anything on the radar i dont know how the isle of white peeps are doing because i assume its hitting them first unless its west to east.

been steadily falling here since the early hours.still coming down here.amazed at the ammount we have Edited by iowpompeylee