Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Coming down thick and fast again. Just been outside building a snowman with my gf :) it looks like an alien haha

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Mostly stopped now unfortunately above zero so a slight thaw possible. No lying snow on the Newcastle Emlyn cam that's just 15 miles away towards Cardigan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

I hope it stalls now :)

Posted

Coming down thick and fast again. Just been outside building a snowman with my gf smile.png it looks like an alien haha

Photos or we wont believe you. :D

Posted

Snowing heavy here again!luv it! Well worth waiting for,we'll done andymusic for calling it before everyone else,new name for you me thinks ,God!

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Are you sure its stopped? Heavy snow here again clapping.gif

Yes it had stopped. Snowing again now though.......

Yeah, I don't think the red warning was justified.

Warnings of towns and villages being cut off? It's a good snowfall, but I wouldn't call 6 inches exceptional.

The precipitation amounts did not reach that forecasted by NAE. So while there was heavy snow, not as bad as it could have been.

Posted

any news on the Monday expectations yet ?

Nothing concrete - potentially more snow, but given the amount that the forecast changed in just 24 hours for this batch I'd say keep your eyes on the model forum and this thread (on Sunday especially). smile.png

Edited by Buzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Snow falling steadily here in Ystrad Mynach now

James

Posted

Oh dear temp up to 1c hope that's it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

where you to in ystrad james im at cwm calon

Central Street mate, bottom end

Posted

here's some piccies from the middle of the red zone so far

edit - and it's snowing again - just won't give up - think i knew this was gonna happen two weeks ago - i must be a medium - naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - i'm a large! lol

post-7852-0-05024200-1358509904_thumb.jp

post-7852-0-23516700-1358509947_thumb.jp

post-7852-0-42662500-1358509987_thumb.jp

Posted

here's some piccies from the middle of the red zone so far

edit - and it's snowing again - just won't give up - think i knew this was gonna happen two weeks ago - i must be a medium - naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - i'm a large! lol

On that bench there looks like there is 3 people sitting there thats so funny ;)

Posted

I probably should post this (but I'm going to anyway) it's email from net office sent to work.

From: Weatherall, Malcolm [mailto:malcolm.weatherall@metoffice.gov.uk]

Sent: 18 January 2013 11:08

To: Weatherall, Malcolm

Subject: Snow- latest situation

Morning All

Here’s a very quick update re the snow situation. It’s expected to continue to snow across Wales through the morning with intensities varying and the scope for heavy snow at times and further significant disruption in many areas. Some drifting is to be expected in the strong southeasterly winds with snow accretion on power lines etc possibly causing some problems too. There will be a tendency for the snow to turn to rain/sleet in parts of Pembrokeshire and some areas bordering the Bristol Channel however, mainly Swansea westwards.

During the course of the afternoon the snow is expected to become more patchy across much of the southern half of Wales although it may well remain persistent across parts of the Gwent region. However, across the northern half of Wales it’s likely to persist and continue to turn heavy at times and continue into the evening.

The current warnings continue to give good guidance re expected snow amounts.

Overnight, the snow will gradually become lighter and more patchy and mainly confined to eastern areas of Wales by the end of the night.

The forecast over the weekend currently indicates mainly dry conditions although some light snow may affect eastern areas at times. It’s also expected to remain cold with low daytime temperatures and sharp overnight frosts. Hence, today’s snow is not expected to thaw very much during the weekend.

The forecast for Monday indicates the potential for slightly less cold conditions but with showers of sleet/snow possible.

If you wish to contact me today please give me a call on my mobile.

Regards

Malcolm

Posted

Close to 8 inches here on the edge of the Beacons snow has picked up again, fairly heavy now.

Met Office forecast pretty good I think though I agree the Red warning was a bit over the top.

In fairness yesterday's Nae06z was predicting 35mm or 35 cm of snow for this area, so they had to give that warning out because it's better to put it out and not happen than for it to happen and not put it out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Nice covering but has this been over hyped?