Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 12z---->

A.J

Posted

I think the Met Office got it pretty much spot on today with the snowfall. Nothing out of the extraordinary here but extremely happy with around 7cm. Not sure what the rest of the weekend will bring, the fax chart for tomorrow shows (I think) the remnants of an occluded front heading back west over the region. Maybe a few snow showers from that through the day or could just be cloudy with a few flakes in the air?

The wind looks like coming from the East so here's hoping it's strong enough to get some snow showers over to those in the East of the region who missed out today.

Sunday night into Monday could bring more snow but even if it doesn't I'm happy enough now with today's snowfall :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

I'd be very curious to know how well Congleton has done out of this, does anyone have any idea?

about 5 or 6 cm`s in congleton, still doing a bit of fine stuff very light though.

Posted

Can't say it was poor because nothing was forecast for us here. Frustrating to see the band literally stall over the top of us but there you go. There has been snow all around here today Leyland, Blackpool, Chorley, Southport even Barrow. We have had very light icing sugar since i got in at 7.30 there is a slight dusting but no more it would need to keep up for 2 days to get to a cm.

We really must be on a par with the SW of England for snow here. When its snowing 5 miles down the road and on the Irish Sea coast and you are still looking at green grass then you realise how poor it really is here.

Out with the kids tomorrow to use the new sledges anyway, we may head over to the coast to find some snow .... now how daft does that sound.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

how is it prectypeuktopo.png

GFS nearly always overdoes the area of PPN on those charts, im not saying you definately wont get anything per say, it could all be further west of course but at the moment you are right on the border and the trend on that run is to take it further East, you have to go with the trend, i would not like to make a definative call on it until it comes into NAE range however.

Posted

Can't say it was poor because nothing was forecast for us here. Frustrating to see the band literally stall over the top of us but there you go. There has been snow all around here today Leyland, Blackpool, Chorley, Southport even Barrow. We have had very light icing sugar since i got in at 7.30 there is a slight dusting but no more it would need to keep up for 2 days to get to a cm.

We really must be on a par with the SW of England for snow here. When its snowing 5 miles down the road and on the Irish Sea coast and you are still looking at green grass then you realise how poor it really is here.

Out with the kids tomorrow to use the new sledges anyway, we may head over to the coast to find some snow .... now how daft does that sound.

Its been equally snow barren here, we haven't even managed a few flurries in Kendal - absolutely terrible.. I swear there has been a snow shield around the south east lakes..

The NW News just said Cumbria has been one of the worse affected parts of the region today with 10 cms on high ground - where on earth have they got there information from, absolute nonsense.

Today will go down as a no snow event for much of Cumbria. Its not often the south of the region sees snow and Cumbria stays completely snow free - not even the fells have seen anything other than a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

GFS nearly always overdoes the area of PPN on those charts, im not saying you definately wont get anything per say, it could all be further west of course but at the moment you are right on the border and the trend on that run is to take it further East, you have to go with the trend, i would not like to make a definative call on it until it comes into NAE range however.

The GFS got it spot on for today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Gfs didn't get it spot on at all it was showing alot off ppn for me today and all I got is dandruff

Posted

It might have got it on at T6 or T12 but we are talking T48 here (sunday 18z) and at that sort of range for today, the GFS was showing the stalled front slap bang over us with a blizzard for the whole region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just about stopped snowing here, just occasional flakes blowing about.

Even the last 7 hours or so hasn't done much for the total we've had but it's turned a complete non event into something just a little less embarrassing.

Hopefully more in the form of showers will cross from the east tomorrow and then there is always Sundays gift from darn sarf although that is already under operation downgrade.

Posted

Just been outside to check on the conditions and it would appear we've got 2 feet of snow!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just been outside to check on the conditions and it would appear we've got 2 feet of snow!!!!

Sure you don't mean two feet covered in snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

yes

cheers mate

Posted

still snowing here, even though the radar has been showing jack for the last hour, nice for once to have that the right way around!

Posted

cheers mate

Could just turn out right for us then but we don't want to see any further eastward corrections or it will become a Yorkshire only event up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Gfs didn't get it spot on at all it was showing alot off ppn for me today and all I got is dandruff

Sorry , what i meant was purely from a personal perspective..the METo was showing very little for us today but the GFS still stuck with snow all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Its been equally snow barren here, we haven't even managed a few flurries in Kendal - absolutely terrible.. I swear there has been a snow shield around the south east lakes..

The NW News just said Cumbria has been one of the worse affected parts of the region today with 10 cms on high ground - where on earth have they got there information from, absolute nonsense.

Today will go down as a no snow event for much of Cumbria. Its not often the south of the region sees snow and Cumbria stays completely snow free - not even the fells have seen anything other than a dusting.

I really liked your post you have worded my thoughts to a tee.

Can't help but feel dissappointed and isolated right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Could just turn out right for us then but we don't want to see any further eastward corrections or it will become a Yorkshire only event up here.

like this event I'll just now cast it I guess

Posted

No literally 2 feet rofl.gif

post-14390-0-60455200-1358549797_thumb.j

Brilliant

Posted

May have been spot on IYBY but now for 50% of the region. Quite clearly last nigt and this morning it showed the snow getting quite easily into Cumbria . METO remained on the cautious side and for me were far nearer the mark than the GFS. The BBC forecasts on the other hand ........

I'd advise caution when looking at the next "event" on sunday/monday i think the GFS has the snow too far West, i'd be surpeised if any got over the pennines.

edit .Typed all that then saw your reply above doh ........

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

Bloody hell, I'm either getting old or need a hobby but just watched a 1977 Glen Campbell concert on BBC4 and really enjoyed it.

Oh for the old days.

I,d have been 15 then and in them days when our location used to get snow would have been sledging.