Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 12z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Matthew Hugo â€@MattHugo81

TAF for Leeds remains impressive; PROB40 1814/1909 0300 +SN FZFG VV/// PROB40 1909/1912 6000 NSW SCT008 - Heavy snow fcst after 2pm #hmmm

40% probablilty of Heavy snow/ Freezing fog.. We had 30% probabillity of the heavy stuff today hitting manchester. Personally I cant see it because that would be a sizable push NE of the front which has died out altogether here and I'm located SW of Leeds.

Posted

Gone livht now.

@hc is it hue to intenisfy again

yes it will when back under the snow clouds, we are just under an area of low precip.

40% probablilty of Heavy snow/ Freezing fog.. We had 30% probabillity of the heavy stuff today hitting manchester. Personally I cant see it because that would be a sizable push NE of the front which has died out altogether here and I'm located SW of Leeds.

hugo still at it then? :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes game over now, we may get a cm later but ironically we will be too far west i think for that, i can see light snow falling in leeds but not heavy snow.

Posted

Stopped snowing now. Have had around 3 hours of snow which has left a great covering. Schools closing across Warrington. Is this expected to due out now across this part of the region or pep up again?

Looks like the front is now decaying as it bumps up against the cold block to the east,dont think we will see much more out of this from here on in

Posted

wow just been out and about and amazingly there's about half an inch of snow/ice............left on the grass from last Sunday night's snizzle fest lol

Just about as non-event as it could be for my area today. Congrats to those in the South West of the region.

We will of course get our own back at some stage smile.png

Im not optimistic now, ECM extended ens now sees the mean for London rising to 5c.

Posted

Looks like the front is now decaying as it bumps up against the cold block to the east,dont think we will see much more out of this from here on in

why do they still have us down for snow at the Met Office they need to change it to Cold and DRY

Posted

So it hasnt stalled hc

yes it has stalled because its not moving any further ne...due to cold block..as mentioned sheffield is the cut point..was same yesterday with first front.

we are fine to the south of it, as the front continues to pivot westwards it will head back into the irish sea..we should still be in the band (south of region), watch for pepping up along the mersey.

It hasn't stopped here, just intensity, blizzard like powder snow, the worst kind.

further more, this isn't just going to disappear and thats the end of it for us in the south, bare that in mind. we are under snow forecasts until midnight at the earliest...if intensity does drop off, we are still prone to snow showers some of which would be heavy..but i have my doubts...think we will stay on the extreme south of it, and as it moves will certainly continue to give precip.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very much a decaying feature now with a few holes appearing within the frontal zone, a few moderate pulses can still be expected but amounts will slowly decline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting ??️?️??️

Very heavy again here , although small flakes, can barely open front door due to drifting

Posted

Eased back to light flurry here now. All but over for now I guess. Topped out at around 3-4cm (hard to tell as its blowing all over the place)

@Backtrack - just out of interest how does the Mersey affect your location when the prevailing wind is a SEly?

Posted

Yes one of the models has been hinting at a break down to more of an Atlantic based flow for a couple of days,if it comes off it will slowly warm from weds onwards!!

christ almight these dumb models couldn't even call this right until it was right on us, and you think they are going to be right about the mild weather by wednesday onwards?....gloomy or what??

Posted

The breakdown is gathering pace.

Yes, still waiting for the Met office update to come through, the best we can hope for now is somewhere in between the GFS and ECM, hopefully a snowy breakdown, the EC32 was good last night but baring in mind the models short range difficulties lately, how much faith can we place in that?

Posted

Yes one of the models has been hinting at a break down to more of an Atlantic based flow for a couple of days,if it comes off it will slowly warm from weds onwards!!

Yep, it looks like the horrid pond is getting it's I have a problem back into gear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Dam it, my weather apps showing rain/snow now! Not as much snow coming down now, but the odd bigger flake is, so seem to be getting bigger flakes again.

Temps dropped to about 1 degree

Posted

I'm hoping that with clearing cloud-tops the afternoon sun may let a little convection do its work for a few heavier pulses either side of the breaks, the stuff coming up from the SE still looks tasty however.