Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 18/01/13 14z ------>

A.J

Posted

Just starting to stick again now after a couple of very frustrating hours. Temp at Shawbury has been randomly fluctuating a few tenths either side of freezing for over 24 hours, wish it would make it's mind up preferably in the minus direction. Still far more of a thaw yesterday and early today than you'd expect in such temps, I'm sure the ground is abnormally warm due to lack of frost and low minima.

The thaw has been surprising this weekend, it so cold out there but that might be the wind chill!

I've hit a max of 0.8 today

You may be correct Dec 2010 we hit -14 one night I believe. What's the coldest this spell? -5? Still mighty cold but it's not built up in to mega cold

You're right it has been a waste of 3 hours snow! But it's heavier again now and just maybe starting to stick again :)

Posted

Dont know if anyone else has noticed, but on the radar, The Wolverhampton area has been in the clear zone for most of the day, plenty both sides, do they have a snow shield lol

I'm just on the edge of the clear area, persistant light snow for the last few hours here, so close to the heavy stuff to the east just a little nudge should do the trick whistling.gif

Posted

Still small flakes but at least it's a little heavier out there. Snow is very, very deep in untouched areas remaining from Friday, I reckon there's almost 7 inches on those ones. Fresh snow is around 2 and a half inches already today.

Done very well, amazing how little tiny flakes can accumulate so much!

Edited by Adzyy

Posted

The thaw has been surprising this weekend, it so cold out there but that might be the wind chill!

I've hit a max of 0.8 today

You may be correct Dec 2010 we hit -14 one night I believe. What's the coldest this spell? -5? Still mighty cold but it's not built up in to mega cold

You're right it has been a waste of 3 hours snow! But it's heavier again now and just maybe starting to stick again smile.png

Nothing below -3 in this spell, or -4 all winter. Very poor for this area, even the mildest winters typically hit -5 at least once. The daytime temps have been quite low at Times which makes it all the more bizarre that we can't get low minima. Dec 10 the Severn froze twice, Jan 13 puddles have struggled to ice over, which says it all!

Posted

yes the thaw does make you laugh, defrost the freezer in the middle of summer and it takes days, however a few tonnes of snow will happily melt away in no time, light stuff here roads and paths are more or less clear now, may just clip the mets heavy snow for the next 3 hours tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

so have we got a few hours of this, my wifes having a fit as she starts a new job tomorrow & she doesnt drive in snow......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

thx staf il take a look at it later. Met has yellow warning for wm untill 23.59. Heavy Snow since this morning. Long may it continue, the thaw we had yesterday is now all covered.

Posted

Met Office have us down for this until 6am tomorrow. Gotta say, it's looking very likely that I won't be using public transport tomorrow.

Edited by Adzyy

Posted

Temperature has dropped back down below zero again, good sign.

This has been far, far better than I expected - just goes to show that hours of persistent light snow is just as good as one short heavy fall.

Bish

Posted

Getting bad in Shrewsbury now!

Heavy blowing snow in the wind, small flakes

Sticking on minor roads and cars again atlast! As expected the temp has dropped to 0 from 0.8

Could be an interesting evening!

Posted

Is it going to get any heavier I'm in south staffs can't use radar I'm on phone cheers

Posted

It keeps trying to get really heavy but then the wind blows it and it comes down lighter when the wind stops. meh. Still had a lot more snow today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

snowing since 9am, but not had heavy stuff, infact in town centre made paths etc wetter with a thaw, hope back home is better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Still snowing in Stourbridge, but tiny, tiny flakes again, and not really doing anything for accumulations

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

heaviest snow of the day now here...........

Posted

Its been light flakes but moderate to heavy since the morning here foot prints in the snow have almost disappeared....must be/feel bitter outside none of the streets kids are playing in it lol

Posted

The southern edge of the PPN is starting to erode slightly now, but only very slowly. Conversely, the main area of snow is still intensifying slightly.

Great winter's day. Added another couple of inches I would say smile.png

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted

Heaviest of the snow over western Shropshire for once e.g Shrewsbury which is nice to see as you guys suffer even worse than us in Telford usually :lol:

Am slightly jealous! just snizzly polystyrene balls here.

Posted

Definitely got heavier over the past 10 minutes. Everywhere is very deep with snow. Can see travelling being a major issue tomorrow.