Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

All surfaces are now being covered again here. Although having said that anywhere with snow has been all day which is most areas :) just the odd place here n there which if wasn't covered by 10 only nw seems to be covering up. Anyway getting on for 4cms in general from today

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

To be fair it's filled in the tracks where I went on in the car earlier, and the winshield is covered now compared to my previous pic. We may end up with a couple more cm's here actually.

Posted

The forecast is for it to drift north so we need to stay confident. Going slow though isn't it? I'm 1 mile south of Nottingham city and nothing.

Edited by Lee Jones

Posted

Certainly there's a heavy south bias looking at the radar, it's bad news for Nottingham and Derby. I think the Leicester folks have lost their moaning rights for a while! Enjoy it guys.

Posted

All surfaces are now being covered again here. Although having said that anywhere with snow has been all day which is most areas :) just the odd place here n there which if wasn't covered by 10 only nw seems to be covering up. Anyway getting on for 4cms in general from today

It's with us until 5am before kicking off again for a couple of hours between 7am and 9am according to the BBC. If that's the case it's going to look interesting tomorrow morning. This weekend is already the best event I've seen in ten years in South West Leicestershire.

Posted

Here's a pic I just took, it's not easy to see the flakes but it's the best I could do with my phone camera lol.

Did U upload that via your mobile to netweather?? If anyones wondering y the roofs in your pics got barely any snow uts because of the wind on Friday. It blown the lot off. We had roughly 10cm before today so getting on for 14/15 atm over fields parks gardens etc.

Posted

Certainly there's a heavy south bias looking at the radar, it's bad news for Nottingham and Derby. I think the Leicester folks have lost their moaning rights for a while! Enjoy it guys.

Yep, fair point. We got pretty lucky Friday and today. I'll try shut up for any future non events this Winter at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Uploaded it to the laptop and then to NetWeather. It's still coming down fast here, the road that was just pure water earlier is now covered in snow. I'm supposed to be going back out to work tonight to do 3 night calls at people's homes a few miles away. If this carries on at this intensity for another hour i'm going to have to ring my manager and ask if someone can cover my calls! It's going to be like a death wish riding a thin tyre road bike in this.

Posted

Here's a pic I just took, it's not easy to see the flakes but it's the best I could do with my phone camera lol.

Thanks for that. Looks a little heavier than here, that said, it has pepped up quite a bit in the past 10 minutes to a decent level. Uploading a nice full HD video from my phone of the snow to youtube, i'll provide a link when it's up.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Still nothing of any note here, just down the road form the airport.

The airport is currently reporting "slight rain and snow" temperature plus 1, dewpoint minus two.

Scanner on 128.2250mhz.

Posted

Yep, fair point. We got pretty lucky Friday and today. I'll try shut up for any future non events this Winter at least.

I disagree about it being bad news for Nottingham. Looking at the wind directions and the met forecasts, the heavy band will hit us... just later this evening.

Posted

Sure has lee imo for Hinckley its got to be on par with 1991 now altho im basing that on pics as I can't really remember. (Andy) Shame you can't upload direct from mobile as I have a few decent pics. over Foot long icycle off the conservatory :D

Posted

Sure has lee imo for Hinckley its got to be on par with 1991 now altho im basing that on pics as I can't really remember. (Andy) Shame you can't upload direct from mobile as I have a few decent pics. over Foot long icycle off the conservatory biggrin.png

If you have a smartphone, you can upload to twitter, and then post the link from twitter. Thats what I do, only takes 30 seconds.

Really started increasing in intensity here just now! 5p and even some 10p size flakes. Radar doesn't show any sign of it ending either.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Sure has lee imo for Hinckley its got to be on par with 1991 now altho im basing that on pics as I can't really remember. (Andy) Shame you can't upload direct from mobile as I have a few decent pics. over Foot long icycle off the conservatory :D

This is certainly one to remember. And to think we could have hours more snowfall yet. I have photos on my iPad but no idea how to upload them.

Posted

Thanks for that. Looks a little heavier than here, that said, it has pepped up quite a bit in the past 10 minutes to a decent level. Uploading a nice full HD video from my phone of the snow to youtube, i'll provide a link when it's up.

Id do the same if I could the snows impressive now. Especially as its adding to a snow cover that is probably the deepest its been in well over 20 yrs here. 2009/10 winter was coldest in a 100 yrs but here we never got more than 6cms. We always had the scraps as it moved in from one area or another

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Grrrr if only I was about 10 miles further north east and I'd be in the sweet spot! Living dangerously on the southern edge of this system according to the radar, hopefully it stays where it is blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Sure has lee imo for Hinckley its got to be on par with 1991 now altho im basing that on pics as I can't really remember. (Andy) Shame you can't upload direct from mobile as I have a few decent pics. over Foot long icycle off the conservatory biggrin.png

That just reminded me, took a picture this morning on my travels of a HUGE icicle, I don't know how well you'll be able to see it because it was still quite dark at the time but it's an absolute whopper, biggest i've ever seen in person.

post-2115-0-56251600-1358695903_thumb.jp

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

5cm of fresh snow in Burbage now. Looking at various models there is a suggestion this could go on until the morning? Anyone else agree? At that rate we could get another 10 cm.

Posted

5cm of fresh snow in Burbage now. Looking at various models there is a suggestion this could go on until the morning? Anyone else agree? At that rate we could get another 10 cm.

It will mean a day off work, that's for sure. :D

Posted

slight thaw here, nothing new added since friday, everything is just a stones throw away to the south, looking at the radar im guessing nottinghams in the same boat.