Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Just checked Metoffice forecast and now been changed from heavy snow to just light snow .............. Not looking that good now then for Nottingham , NG16 region
:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Locals and they're myths!! Geologically speaking, it's obviously not true, but when we don't get our fair share it does make you wonder. At least this year seems to be making up for it, so far.

It's 5 years today since I moved from Luton to Hinckley, and I have to say, we do get a better standard of snow up here :-)

Posted

UK Outlook for Thursday 24 Jan 2013 to Saturday 2 Feb 2013:

Many regions are likely to become dry and more settled for a time later next week. However, cloudier conditions with spells of rain, sleet and snow may develop over some western parts towards the end of next week and into the weekend. It will be cold for late January, with hard overnight frosts, widespread ice and freezing fog patches where winds fall light, these slow to clear from some areas. Some areas still cold through next weekend, but during the following week conditions will probably turn both more unsettled and less cold from the west, as Atlantic weather systems push into the UK. This change to more unsettled conditions is likely to be accompanied by spells of snow in some areas.

From what I remember this is quiet different from what they were saying yesterday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Started snowing lightly in Belper about 15 minutes ago.

Posted

Woke up to temp +0.5c and light sleety snow..first time temp as gone above freezing since Thursday afternoon. Looking like a washout instead of the predicted heavy Snow ..confused .com.

Posted

Steady but very light snow in Burbage. Had about 1cm over the last two hours. Expecting it to increase after 12 .

Posted

Snow seems to be getting heavier, has been snowing steadily since 9am. Only a dusting on the roads but slowly starting to accumulate. This seems similar to Friday where we had steady snow for a few hours that was making litle impact before it really started to come down. Have loads of work to do today but can't stop window watching. Wondering how many schools might end up being closed tomorrow!?!

Posted

Light snow beginning to fall here (I'm actually situated 5 miles outside of Grantham today. Look to be in a prime spot for this afternoon, through the evening.

Enjoy it folks.

Posted

METO forecast changed again here now light snow from 12 til 3 where as it was heavy, I bet it is a nightmare for them!

Posted

I've lived in Hinckley since 1987 and we've had some good snow events. Though there have been years when we seemed to fair worse for snow than other areas. I remember the sat photos from year before last (i think) the whole country was snow bound except hinckley which didn't get much at all. Certainly making up for any missed snow this time. I have move just up the road to earl Shilton though.

It's been snowing here since about 9am.

I lived in Earl Shilton until this spring, with a break in Coventry for university (hence the name). We did well in Coventry while I was there. Barwell and Earl Shilton are high up - relative to surrounding areas - and seem to do okay. I remember vividly getting a lift from Leicester to Barwell for a job I had arranged ahead of moving out this way and being pleasantly surprised by how icy it was there compared to back in the city. If snow was a deciding factor I'd choose this area over Leicester without hesitation!

Light snow beginning to fall here (I'm actually situated 5 miles outside of Grantham today. Look to be in a prime spot for this afternoon, through the evening.

I am in orston not far from Grantham. You think were in for a treat. What time will it all start

Enjoy it folks.

Posted

I'd expect the heavier falls to arrive around late afternoon and persist until late evening - 10cm's of fresh accumulation give or take.. and with existing cover of aroumd 6-7cm's I think things could get a little dicey overnight.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

been snowing steadily here in northampton town since 9am and have another few cms on top of what already existed from Friday. With any luck this will continue until mid afternoon and then freeze hard tonight.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

BBC/METO are still warning for 20+cm to fall over high ground on the South Pennines later this afternoon and overnight.

Posted

It has got a bit heavier in Hinckley now and the BBC forecast now suggests some heavier stuff this afternoon. It looks like being another very good day.

Posted

Just looking at the 10.42 update for Hinckley, and it's looking like we could get a good accumulation by this evening.

Being a Sunday and not much traffic on the roads today, this could cause some major disruption for the morning rush hour.

post-19272-0-24531000-1358679701_thumb.j

Posted

Current temp here is 0.5 and rising, is there a theory that the slightly warmer it gets the heavier it gets?

Posted

Current temp here is 0.5 and rising, is there a theory that the slightly warmer it gets the heavier it gets?

Temp is up by nearly a degree here in the last hour and a half. Just hope that the stuff still on its way up here doesn't turn to rain.

Posted

Its just been light snow for the past 1 hour 30 minites!!where is the heavy stuff!!pufft!!

This is not the typical wet snow we get, this is the dry continental stuff. if it gets heavier don't expect huge flakes, it will help to get better depths.