Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ or ...

Both run off the same data..

OMG i can see why, there is all orange but there is a little white box, above nuneaton where hinckley is? Can you see it Polar?

Thanks for the link. is that updated throughout the morning?

Depressed now, sob sob!!wallbash.gif

Posted

Its been snowing here lightly - moderately since 9am and already putting a dusting on the roads. Today is going to be very interesting!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

no northampton is not too far west. it is snowing moderate small flakes for the past hour (i think cos I've just woken up) but new covering building up everywhere.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

OMG i can see why, there is all orange but there is a little white box, above nuneaton where hinckley is? Can you see it Polar?

Pop your post code in, yes updated every 15 min or so.

The accumulation charts are looking hopefull..

13012106_2006.gif

Posted

Looking at the met forecasts Hinckley has light snow all day... Nuneaton which is 3 miles away has heavy snow, Leicester has periods of heavy snow, Coalville and the north has heavy snow all day, Solihul heavy snow... We seem to miss it??! Anyone from Hinckley want to comment or what do you think will happen. cc_confused.gif

When you get snow,you want more. I should be happy... However, i am now nervous thinking everyone else will get it more than me :( sob boo.

On a positive, its light snow here now.

I havent got access to the radar, but does it differ from Meto? Why do folk think Leicester is the 'sweet spot' I am hoping...

Does anyone have a link to radar?

Rambling over thanks

Ignore them forecasts its moving in from the south east so if nuneaton down for heavy snow then we,LL be alright. NAE very good this morning to. Case of radar watching now on. Heaviest between 1-4pm imo

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Why do the NAE precipitation charts show in the region of 10-15cm additional snow for most of the East Midlands but just a little hole of 5cm for Belper? BBC forecast graphics look similar. I wonder if there is some truth to this (starting to get nervous now).

Blue dot is where I am. What has my little area done to deserve such an unfair share of the fun lol.

post-2719-0-20241700-1358675113_thumb.gi

Edit: Actually I am just west of that dot, my geography was out by about 10 miles to the east. So, I should be included then :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Anybody what sort of amounts where lookin judging from the nae model!!leicester to be precise

20cm total accumulation by the end of it (tomorrow morning) according to NAE and GFS. Not sure what you have now, but if like most others you have around 10cm then that would mean another 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It seems to be coming down quite fast, where I am in Hinckley.

I have heard from locals in the past, that Hinckley is in a kind of trough (not sure on the spelling of that)!! And is generally protected from the worst of the weather. Has anyone else heard of this myth? When we had that really heavy snow a couple of years ago, Hinckley had nothing compared to pretty much everywhere else around the country.

Posted

Anybody what sort of amounts where lookin judging from the nae model!!leicester to be precise

Based on the NAE 10-12cms. So best to expect 5/6cms any extras a bonus. Considering we've got around 10cms from Friday we can't moan either way

Posted

Why do the NAE precipitation charts show in the region of 10-15cm additional snow for most of the East Midlands but just a little hole of 5cm for Belper? BBC forecast graphics look similar. I wonder if there is some truth to this (starting to get nervous now).

Blue dot is where I am. What has my little area done to deserve such an unfair share of the fun lol.

post-2719-0-20241700-1358675113_thumb.gi

Edit: Actually I am just west of that dot, my geography was out by about 10 miles to the east. So, I should be included then smile.png

Yes a little odd that C, lol Given the detail I would ignore it anyway !

Posted

I have heard from locals in the past, that Hinckley is in a kind of trough (not sure on the spelling of that)!! And is generally protected from the worst of the weather. Has anyone else heard of this myth? When we had that really heavy snow a couple of years ago, Hinckley had nothing compared to pretty much everywhere else around the country.

I think it's just one of those local myths. They used to say the same about Leicester when I lived there. What I can say is that in the decade I've been in Hinckley I have seen better snow events than I did in the twenty years I lived in Leicester.

Posted

Untrue imo. Hinckley 108m asl. Leicester 74asl. So how can we be in a trough.

Www.earthtools.org

I'm sure of our height and think im right regarding Leicester haven't looked for some time. That website provides height details for the UK though. Just type in the place your after.

Posted

I think it's just one of those local myths. They used to say the same about Leicester when I lived there. What I can say is that in the decade I've been in Hinckley I have seen better snow events than I did in the twenty years I lived in Leicester.

Funny, they used to say that about Nuneaton too, 'it's in a valley, so misses the worst of the weather'......bloody old wives and their tales! :-D

Moderate snow here, got almost an extra cm now :-)

Posted

Heavy snow symbols now showing for Hinckley on met office website, at 12 and 3pm. Woop. good.gifgood.gif

They are obviously not so concerned though, as still only yellow warning...

Posted

Just started snowing lightly here.

Temp -1.4c

Dew Point -2.6c

Wind Chill -2.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I've lived in Hinckley since 1987 and we've had some good snow events. Though there have been years when we seemed to fair worse for snow than other areas. I remember the sat photos from year before last (i think) the whole country was snow bound except hinckley which didn't get much at all. Certainly making up for any missed snow this time. I have move just up the road to earl Shilton though.

It's been snowing here since about 9am.