Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

This was posted in the Model Discussion Thread in case you guys are interested:

Off topic mods sorry, but thought many on here might be interested in watching BBC 2 tonight at 17.30 pm - Winter Watch special all about the Winter of 1963! I for one can't wait good.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

24 hours out from the event now and things are looking promising. MetO has updated to 6-9 hours of heavy snowfall tomorrow for my area.

Enjoy, folks!

Posted

Met office - Heavy snow for my home town Mansfield - and Nottingham region - only light snow for here is leics - gutted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I would advise to steer clear of Met office Heavy / Light snow symbols. I have really never found them very accurate at all. It's said light snow and there be heavy snow. It's said heavy snow and there be no snow.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

well i wonder if tomorrow's snow event will reach up here in Chesterfield? Probably to far west. MetO have warnings but maybe they are covering all the bases?

The last time we had 30cm of lying snow in January was 1987 so the next occasion is long overdue.

Surprised at that. I remember being near Buxton in Jan 2010 and there was just over 40cm. In December 2010 there was over 40cm near Chesterfield, so both west and east of the peak district did well, you must have been a bit unlucky on those occasions.

Posted

Must be just me that seems to think the NAE 18z has doubled the amounts over the next 48hours for parts of the east mids based on how quiet it is here

Posted

Must be just me that seems to think the NAE 18z has doubled the amounts over the next 48hours for parts of the east mids based on how quiet it is here

Got a chart to show this? if they're even called charts haha!

Posted

Please post an image because this forum is absolutely deadout!!

Posted

In the suggested sweet spot once again for tomorrow's low - we're well within a reliable time frame now so I just hope the charts verify!

Will be radar watching from the word go tomorrow morning- hoping to see a further 10cms or so.

Posted

According to bbc weather , kimberley ( ng16 ) in nottingham has 6 hours of heavy snow , yet on news channels on TV hardly shows any snow !

Im new to all this and havnt a clue how to read the latest charts and radars so if anyone can help and share their views on tomorrows snow potential for my local area id appreciate it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

we looking at the potential for another 5-10cm tomorrow then?

Posted

we looking at the potential for another 5-10cm tomorrow then?

Most certainly!!it looks like the midlands is going to be getting some of the heavier stuff!!i have just looked at the gfs and its looking seriously tasty from tomorrow afternoon onwards!!and the nae has got a finger of heavy precipitation tomorrow morning through the east midlands!!was that there before??last minute upgrade maybe!!

Posted

Most certainly!!it looks like the midlands is going to be getting some of the heavier stuff!!i have just looked at the gfs and its looking seriously tasty from tomorrow afternoon onwards!!and the nae has got a finger of heavy precipitation tomorrow morning through the east midlands!!was that there before??last minute upgrade maybe!!

Well i definitely hope so! If this does come off it'd be the most snow I would have ever seen in Leicester!

Posted

Seems like the latest NAE chart for 12 noon now has a area of snow in front of the main band.

I think tomorrow could be another interesting day weather wise.

Posted

Seems like the latest NAE chart for 12 noon now has a area of snow in front of the main band.

I think tomorrow could be another interesting day weather wise.

If so I'll need to escape back to the city earlier! I can't be stuck out here in the countryside! Best move everything an hour back tomorrow now lol!