Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Must be a radar issue, I don't believe in right angles in nature. I left at lunchtime when it got heavier in Bedford. Bedford sits in a natural bowl within the Ouse Valley - and it did offer less returns on the radar. But I don't believe in that symmetry. Still snowing moderately out there.

Still snowing now? That PPN that was over the South East/France has pretty much gone now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Snow has stopped here, but it is very icy and there are icicles hanging off the roof. Looks like proper winter out there with around 10cm of snow on the ground, although the road is now clear.

Posted

The break down of the cold spell looks firmly set at 144 by all the main models this morning hopefully the cold can keep pushing the eventual breakdown further back. Looks fairly dry over the next 36 hours with possibility of snow Sunday ... Elsewer something of interest... a meter of snow must have fallen somewer in the north east they've been getting hammered for about 12-18 hours of very heavy snow and its still going :D

Posted

According to app on my phone latest observation is its still snowing altho radar not showing anything

Posted

According to app on my phone latest observation is its still snowing altho radar not showing anything

I wouldnt take any notice of it. I find those apps useless at times. Yesterday at 10am it said it was mostly cloudy with sunny spells here... It had been snowing moderately for 30 mins by that point.

Posted

I wouldnt take any notice of it. I find those apps useless at times. Yesterday at 10am it said it was mostly cloudy with sunny spells here... It had been snowing moderately for 30 mins by that point.

What are the roads like in Leicester I am due to drive over there tomorrow? Is the council good at keeping them clear, here the side roads are usually left ungritted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow,,,hot sun and thunderstorms in summer

light snow starting again here

Posted

What are the roads like in Leicester I am due to drive over there tomorrow? Is the council good at keeping them clear, here the side roads are usually left ungritted.

They were quite bad last night but they are thawing out now. Either that or the gritters have been out. More snow is forecast tomorrow though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very very light melt starting here none of the main forecasts seem to be showing tomorrows potential event, could this be a SE East Anglian event

Posted

Well its -1 here with a dewpoint of -2 so i dont see much of a melting phase happening in leicester!!those are perfect digits to keep snow on the ground!!unless cloud cover affects it aswell!!

Posted

They were quite bad last night but they are thawing out now. Either that or the gritters have been out. More snow is forecast tomorrow though.

Thanks for the info, no thawing here apart from the main roads but I haven't far to travel until I am on an A road.

Posted

Raining in Derby mega_shok.gif Dewpoint -2 so hopefully will turn to snow soon. raintoday shows lots of ppn pepping up in the east midlands. http://www.raintoday.co.uk

Thats a bit worrying especially if it freezes tonight, 20 odd miles down the road here I saw a break in the clouds, I may even have seen a bit of blue!

Posted

Have a look on the following link http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/leicester/trafficcameras shows the traffic cameras around leicester, seems like all the main roads are clear, but side roads will be interesting !.

Temps have been raising all morning, around zero here at the mo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Its very fine snow grains here..looks like rain but it isn't :-)

Posted

Beginner to all this and trying to get my head round the charts etc .............. Whats the chances of further snow on the Nottingham/Derby border , around Heanor area ??

Any help appreciated !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

We have light snow grains in Belper. And I agree with Xena, it looks like rain - but if you look at it hitting the ground and your own arm you can see its ice.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

What is happening is a perfect example of how very complex conditions are at times for snow to fall rather than what is being reported by some this morning.

Posted

Just been out in the countryside towards Thornton with the dog. Very deep snow though the main roads and even some of the side roads are quite passable now.