Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Going by the latest BBC weather and updates, it looks like the East Midlands and Pennines could get anything up 15cm maybe more over high ground later today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Going by the latest BBC weather and updates, it looks like the East Midlands and Pennines could get anything up 15cm maybe more over high ground later today.

It did seem to move up from the SE as heavy snow, hop over my area producing very little and then re-intensify a few miles to my north, west and east though. However, I don't take the precip forecasts from the BBC that literally :D

Posted

Looks very good for those east of Leicester who didn't do quite so well Friday. I'm hopefull of upto 5cms here maybe more if it shifts ever so slightly further west

Posted

BBC symbols have heavy snow for here from 4pm to 1am - I know they are not that accurate but I am praying that this time they are. 10 hours of heavy snowfall and I won't be getting into work tomorrow :)

Posted

It did seem to move up from the SE as heavy snow, hop over my area producing very little and then re-intensify a few miles to my north, west and east though. However, I don't take the precip forecasts from the BBC that literally biggrin.png

Hi S, Im pretty shure the BBC will be using the latest charts from the METO. But i understand the need for caution.. Last night they were threatening up to 18cm over the Pennines, we shall see but for now it looks promising.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Hi S, Im pretty shure the BBC will be using the latest charts from the METO. But i understand the need for caution.. Last night they were threatening up to 18cm over the Pennines, we shall see but for now it looks promising.

I honestly think the Pennines and the Derbyshire Peak District could get a real dumping later on today and overnight. I would imagine you already have loads up there, with more to come. The main snow band from the SE looks to swing westwards across the Pennines later today and so I think 18cm is a fair guess.

Posted

I hope so S, Yes already have a level covering of around 20cm, with drift's up to 1m in the fields, the lanes around here are passable with a 4x4, had light snow showers falling this morning.

Looking at the models the front should start to move into this area just after mid-day....Hopefully TM will have a better idea than me for this area, he was looking into it yesterday.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Why is it snowing in Derby now? Nothing on the radar

I'm also in Derby but no snow here.

This pepping type of weather my words after years of radar studying.

There's a main band coming. You can see it quite well here Ahead of t http://meteox.co.uk/forecastloop.aspx?type=1 that its pepping. That's when you get reports of snow not on radar. I think it's to do with high moisture content in air but someone might know better.

Looking forward to seeing the snow.

Edited by Snowcheeks

Posted

Good Morning all !

I may be reading this wrong but is the band of snow moving more west than first suggested ?? Doesnt seem to be on direct route into Nottinghamshire ............ Ant thoughts ?

Posted

Snowing in Hinckley. Is the main band due to hit us and are we likely to get much out of it before it heads north east in this part of the region? We have plenty as it is so if this goes on as long as the BBC forecast suggests it could getting to the office might be a bit dodgy tomorrow morning.

Posted

Surprised we are getting snow so early, looks like it will be here for the rest of the day !

Link to the website showing the NAE model - this is at midnight tonight and snow still over leicester !

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Posted

Surprised we are getting snow so early, looks like it will be here for the rest of the day !

Link to the website showing the NAE model - this is at midnight tonight and snow still over leicester !

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Dear lord thats an upgrade from yesterday at that same time frame!!

Posted

Looking at the met forecasts Hinckley has light snow all day... Nuneaton which is 3 miles away has heavy snow, Leicester has periods of heavy snow, Coalville and the north has heavy snow all day, Solihul heavy snow... We seem to miss it??! Anyone from Hinckley want to comment or what do you think will happen. cc_confused.gif

When you get snow,you want more. I should be happy... However, i am now nervous thinking everyone else will get it more than me :( sob boo.

On a positive, its light snow here now.

I havent got access to the radar, but does it differ from Meto? Why do folk think Leicester is the 'sweet spot' I am hoping...

Does anyone have a link to radar?

Rambling over thanks

Posted

Looking at the met forecasts Hinckley has light snow all day... Nuneaton which is 3 miles away has heavy snow, Leicester has periods of heavy snow, Coalville and the north has heavy snow all day, Solihul heavy snow... We seem to miss it??! Anyone from Hinckley want to comment or what do you think will happen. cc_confused.gif

When you get snow,you want more. I should be happy... However, i am now nervous thinking everyone else will get it more than me sad.png sob boo.

On a positive, its light snow here now.

I havent got access to the radar, but does it differ from Meto? Why do folk think Leicester is the 'sweet spot' I am hoping...

Does anyone have a link to radar?

Rambling over thanks

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ or http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Both run off the same data..

Edited by Polar Maritime