Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
Posted

Can you post a picture of this.

i wish i could but i dont know how to!!the colour of the precipitation is a lot darker and heavier compared to yesterdays!!and to think we got 10 cms out of that!!tomorrow could b a lot more hopefully!!but things could still downgrade!!

Posted

i wish i could but i dont know how to!!the colour of the precipitation is a lot darker and heavier compared to yesterdays!!and to think we got 10 cms out of that!!tomorrow could b a lot more hopefully!!but things could still downgrade!!

Or the link??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can you post a picture of this.

NAE precipitation by Mon morning - this will be all snow so take this as amounts in cm.

post-2719-0-22678600-1358633415_thumb.gi

NAE snow depth by Mon morning

post-2719-0-02438700-1358633336_thumb.gi

From what I can see that is all of us with 20cm, and some with 30cm. I apologise if I am reading this wrong, only those amounts are a little hard to believe - but I guess it could happen.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Is that good for Leicestershire then? I thought - well according to meto the main band was going to miss us? Finger and toes crossed!!!

Posted

That looks pretty good for the whole of Leicestershire to me, with North Warwickshire having some fun with it, too.

it does look good but they still havnt shown it on tv!!

Posted

It's like the Tv forecast's are 6 hours behind! so stupid, they really should be on the ball with it all!

BBC gets their information direct from the Met - but many of these forecasts are prerecorded. Even the live forecasts are going off slightly outdated models- as it takes hours after a model update for them to compose and deliver their forecast.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Can somebody tell me what the charts are showing for Nottinghamshire ?

I'd fancy us to be at or around the 10cm mark for fresh snow by this time tomorrow.

Posted

BBC gets their information direct from the Met - but many of these forecasts are prerecorded. Even the live forecasts are going off slightly outdated models- as it takes hours after a model update for them to compose and deliver their forecast.

I hope I explained that well enough.

I'd fancy us to be at or around the 10cm mark for fresh snow by this time tomorrow.

Yeah I understand! I guess it's for the public though, many people I know were moaning about the forecast's because they'd watched it an said there was going to be a maximum of 5cm for leicester on friday but there was double, which was shown on the model updates but for some bizzarre reason they don't even update on the forecast! and even when 7cm have fallen they are still saying 5cm max haha. Just wish they'd do more updates when the weather is going to be as severe as this.

Posted

1mm aha just joking i'd say around 7-9cm.

thanks for replying !!

Wasnt expecting 10cm having watched the reports on TV !! Reading your guys info on here is brilliant , keep up the good advice !

Posted

Yes the metoffice said 2-5cm yesterday, which was laughable. Not too sure about tomorrow's event. Be interesting to watch it develop (if it does). Assuming late morning and most of the afternoon. But Radar watch and nowcasting is the key. Good luck folks, if Virgin finally fix the fault here I can work from home. Bring it on anyway.

Had a little thaw here today, max of 0.4C late morning. Still a good 12cm in places. The wrong type of snow for snowmen though, had to use a shovel and craft the b*stard by hand rather than the snowball method.

Posted

Glad I mentioned the NAE now lol everyones posting all of a sudden. Amazing how gfs now has a snow storm even into next Saturday. Not saying itl happen as anything past +48 seems up in the air atm altho cold does look to stay around till the end of the week at least. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

In my experience it seems that (rather annoying, or excitingly, whichever way you look at it!) snow is pretty much impossible to forecast in terms of specifics for local areas, so nowcasting and radar watching will be the method of choice for tomorrow I think :)

Posted

The news channels are especially bad over the weekends as it's all looped pre-recorded due to light staffing. A small blob just appeared over France starting to head over the channel. That's going to have to move quick to be here by tomorrow morning as some were suggesting. BBC news 24 saying 4-8 centimeters for SE didn't mention us but the maps showed it a lot further to the east than earlier today. Suggesting anywhere west of Nottingham may be a non event. I don't know how up to date that forecast is but they usually update after midnight, even at weekends.

Posted

Bbc have finally woken up and smelt the coffee!!snow across the midlands!!

Just watched it! They must have heard what I said earlier haha! definitely impressed! it looks like flurries/ light snow showers about 10am ahead of the band!

Posted

Just watched it! They must have heard what I said earlier haha! definitely impressed! it looks like flurries/ light snow showers about 10am ahead of the band!

Yeh and then the main band comes through between 3 and 9 pm!!could be lookin at between 3 to 6 hours of snowfall!!lookin at the nae it just looks a lot heavier than fridays snowfall!!

Posted

Yeh and then the main band comes through between 3 and 9 pm!!could be lookin at between 3 to 6 hours of snowfall!!lookin at the nae it just looks a lot heavier than fridays snowfall!!

copy and paste the link i don't know where the NAE is.