Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

still snowing, been continous now since 5.00pm on thursday, but the first 7 to 8 hours it was dandruff type if you know what I mean, and did not accumalate, but today has sure made up for that.

Posted

this batch is missing me by about 5 miles...............................

I think as time goes on there will be more of an easterly element. Providing the precip remains id expect Northampton - Coventry - Birmingham to be the line which the snow takes

Posted

I think as time goes on there will be more of an easterly element. Providing the precip remains id expect Northampton - Coventry - Birmingham to be the line which the snow takes

That batch around Cambridge is what I've got my eyes on..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Started snowing moderately again now! After a period of very light snow from 7:30pm till 10:45pm, we have now gone back to moderate stuff! This is amazing to be honest, its now been snowing over 12 hours straight here. I cycled to the shop about 9pm and the pavements were 8-10cm deep and the grass seemed around 12-15cm.

Posted

this batch is missing me by about 5 miles...............................

Had another 5cm since 9pm! Still going, and signs to the SE are very promising! Best snow since Feb 2009, and that was marginal!

Off topic, but why does Clare Balding have to be on every channel nowadays?

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Started snowing moderately again now! After a period of very light snow from 7:30pm till 10:45pm, we have now gone back to moderate stuff! This is amazing to be honest, its now been snowing over 12 hours straight here. I cycled to the shop about 9pm and the pavements were 8-10cm deep and the grass seemed around 12-15cm.

So, what was I saying just a couple of days ago to you about 'keeping your chin up, cos I had a good feeling about today' when you were losing the faith eh?

See, always listen to Aunty Fizz! :)

Posted

Had a nice covering here today. All day I was cursing thinking, these tiny flakes - doing nothing, but, oh how glad am I I took the bus!!! by the time I was coming home the roads were pretty poor!! But I was loving it!!!

Looking forward to any more that comes our way :)

Posted

This may sound stupid but whats a void???

Looks like an area where there should be precip but radar not showing anything

.... Maybe not actually. time to leave it till tomorrow

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

Looks like an area where there should be precip but radar not showing anything

Maybe thats the reason why its still snowing in leicester because the actual gap is not really a gap!!

Posted

So, what was I saying just a couple of days ago to you about 'keeping your chin up, cos I had a good feeling about today' when you were losing the faith eh?

See, always listen to Aunty Fizz! :)

Yep you were right fizzy :-) I can't understand how its coming down modetately and quickly even though there is only light PPN above us on the radar. Not that i'm complaining about it!! :-D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Had mod snow since 5pm, around 9 inch level and drifting 2ft in places, feeling bitter -3.1c

Posted

Easily 15+ cm here quite widely. Still snowing lightish now - a gap has opened up but suspect that area of more general snow will move into the SE Midlands. Shades of 1996 in northern England, which was an amazing winter.

Posted

Easily 15+ cm here quite widely. Still snowing lightish now - a gap has opened up but suspect that area of more general snow will move into the SE Midlands. Shades of 1996 in northern England, which was an amazing winter.

Still time for that lot to head our way, alas, I'm calling it a night, been a long daylaugh.png

Posted
to

what the hell!!was that precipitation forecast to move out of france!!it looks like its heading straight for the east midlands!!

I dont mean to be a party pooper but that isn't coming anywhere near the East Midlands. Anyway I ought to go to bed, got to be up at 6:30am for bloody work. Absolutely dreading cycling around in this. I love snow but its going to be a nightmare tomorrow.

Posted

The snow on the ground is getting all glittery and shimmery! While it looks pretty, it's going to cause even more mayhem tomorrow.

My car was making its own way down the driveway. Fortunately I got a bit suspicious when I looked out the window and it appeared to have moved around a foot from where I parked. I parked in fresh snow but the trail of the tyres has since iced over completely and I'm actually able to just push the car around with the handbrake up! Just put it in gear now which seems to have stopped it moving. Going to keep an eye on it during the nigh. Not much more I can do.

Edited by SL7

Posted

I dont mean to be a party pooper but that isn't coming anywhere near the East Midlands. Anyway I ought to go to bed, got to be up at 6:30am for bloody work. Absolutely dreading cycling around in this. I love snow but its going to be a nightmare tomorrow.

If we are talking about the precipition to the SE - its been giving me a good tickle tonight. Reading the east of England threads it hasn't been that impressive apparently, but not that many report from the wide open spaces between here and Cambridge. We have a correspondant from Grafham Water about 12 miles east of here. But enough here to drop 5cm of extra snow. A nice tickle and its not over yet.

But to summarise a great day. Left this morning at 7.30am, dropped the boy off in North Beds village at 8am. Work in Bedford at 8.30am. Started snowing lightly in Bedford 9.30am. Had time owing, and thought best to leave work at 12.30pm. Hit heavy snow on A6 at Sharnbrook summit, 1pm. Turn right to Melchborne and pick up boy on minor roads snowing heavily 1.30pm. Slow drive back to Rushden - home 2pm. About 6cm in Rushden at that point. Wife returns from work - has afternoon off - meant to be going to see Strictly come live at the national indoor area in Birmingham. Decides not a good idea. Goes to Waitrose to get some supplys. In the meantime 2 further inches accumulate. Take the boy sledging. Another inch accumulates. Try to make snowman with the boy, but fail as its not that type of snow. Have posh fishcakes from Waitrose for tea, snow lighter now. Wife on phone. Snow now getting heavier again. Dogs don't like it anymore. Another inch accumulates.

Dot dot dash dash. Thats my day.

Posted

Snows coming down heavier again now. At this rate we could have 20-25 cm by the morning. Where was our even amber warning? It might have melted in SW England by the morning. And has everyone gone to bed?

Posted

I must be talking to myself. But trust, this is the heaviest snowfall in this area since Feb 2009. And that had periods of freeze-thaw. Way more marginal.

Thanks. I'll just watch the snow machine myself. Very impressive.

Posted

15 hours of continuous snowfall in Burton Latimer... some heavy spells but mostly light to moderate but its still going.... 15cm accumulated. Eyes SE for that little top up.... not too shabby! Watching too Mackerel!

Edited by scrote

Posted

I don't know whether there has been an issue with the radar today or not, because we've had continuous snow and areas (particularly to the south, over Bedford) have implied little or nothing. Anyway its snowing moderately again here, definately 20cm+ ... MetOffice have been so focused on these western areas. Sometimes, we hit the jackpot in Northants. It has been a while - well nearly 4 years. I feel we have hit it. Sometimes we are too far east, or too far west.

Must be a radar issue, I don't believe in right angles in nature. I left at lunchtime when it got heavier in Bedford. Bedford sits in a natural bowl within the Ouse Valley - and it did offer less returns on the radar. But I don't believe in that symmetry. Still snowing moderately out there.