Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yep. Full thaw here. Its deffo over with thawing snow. Temps are below freezing further down in the se. Guess this is it. Ahhh was good while it lasted. Moan over lol

Posted

dont want it, lol, needs to come back when its colder, lol

haha well here its 1 degree with a dew point of -2 so i think just on the right side of marginal so you will probably be similar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just checked my weather data for this week. Since last Sunday night the highest temperature has been 1.8C, on Monday, and since Wednesday lunchtime the temperature has not got above freezing. Currently at -1C, so if nothing dramatic happens as this front nears in terms of pushing up temps that'll be four consecutive ice days, so not a bad cold spell really. The only thing missing has been an epic snowfall, but that was never very likely for this particular location, so can't complain really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

would be nice to see some snow falling later, but i am not bothered if anything accumulates or not to be honest, kids have been sledging and have built a snowman and pelted me and their dad with snowballs, so in my opinion it has been a successful cold spell, and not just that i am ready for the kids to be back at school tomorrow :) :)

Posted

Looking like another Friday jobby light snow however due to the higher temps lower regions probably won't see any accumulations. Away from there probably 2cm and if you're very lucky or live near places like fox house 5cm.

Based on what? Pessimism? or the models? Will get colder as the front moves up towards us, might be marginal on the coast but 10 miles inland it will all be snow and the dewpoints are low enough for it to accumulate

Edited by jon86

Posted

My take on the radar as it stands at 13.05.

It appears that the feature coming out of France has moved into Holland while at the same time its getting dragged NNW, The upside for anyone on the eastern side of Lincs we may get the heavier fall in Orange on the pic.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I was going to post a overlay of what i mean but i cant work out how to post an image on here.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

I can never understand why people try to predict where is going to get the heaviest precipitation and especially snow amounts. These events never turn out as forecast as the models (even the NMM and NAE) simply dont have the resolution to accuractely predict it and its simply a case of watching the radar as it happens.

Still a full cover here but we've had a heavy thaw as it has been above 2C all night. Its currently 2.4C with a dewpoint of -0.4C so pretty marginal.

Temperatures should fall as the feature arrives as the wind will turn lighter, but will it be enough?

Pretty much the same situation here Reef. We have a temp of 2.1°C now (been creeping up all day) with a DP of -1.4°C and this has creeping downward all day. I can only assume the air is getting drier and this is backed up by the RH, which has been going down. Unsure why that is: anyone got an explanation?

Very marginal for snow I would say: we need a drop of about a degree to be comfortably in the 'snow zone' temp wise. Slow thaw, probably being held up by the low DPs, otherwise it would be much quicker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Latest bbc news 24 saying long period of snow and 10-15cm widely!! Even better for north east as usual lucky Northumberland.

Posted

Not sure why people are complaining of a thaw. Granted at very low lying levels and towards the coast temperatures will be above freezing, but anywhere inland and especially with slight elevation should still be around, or below freezing (it is here). You can expect icicles forming, there is alot of heat being generated from your house! It is a good sign the icicle is forming because if it was much above freezing there wouldn't be one at all ....

You also have to consider roads and pavements where cars are heating the area and people are compacting the snow and spreading around grit from their shoes etc.

Posted

Not sure why people are complaining of a thaw. Granted at very low lying levels and towards the coast temperatures will be above freezing, but anywhere inland and especially with slight elevation should still be around, or below freezing (it is here). You can expect icicles forming, there is alot of heat being generated from your house! It is a good sign the icicle is forming because if it was much above freezing there wouldn't be one at all ....

You also have to consider roads and pavements where cars are heating the area and people are compacting the snow and spreading around grit from their shoes etc.

OK. No heat from the house on trees or the grass. Its melting there too lol but we do have icicles forming. Odd

Heavy ppn brings down the freezing level.

What happens when ppn becomes light again. I'm aware of evaporative cooling.

Edited by allenar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My take on the radar as it stands at 13.05.

It appears that the feature coming out of France has moved into Holland while at the same time its getting dragged NNW, The upside for anyone on the eastern side of Lincs we may get the heavier fall in Orange on the pic.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I was going to post a overlay of what i mean but i cant work out how to post an image on here.

LO

click more reply options hun.

Posted

post-1468-0-24444600-1358689397_thumb.jp

click more reply options hun.

Thx for that i can put me pic up now lol.

My arrows are showing where i think the heavier ppn wil move to and i have just seen the bbc weather for the week ahead and i think they back the eastern parts of lincs an NE England to get 10-15cm from late this afternoon and overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Is this snow actually getting any nearer? Looking at the loop on NW radar it appears to be at the bottom corner of The Wash, near King's Lynn, for the past hour or so and has made no progress northward at all. Anyone else noticed this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

post-1468-0-24444600-1358689397_thumb.jp

Thx for that i can put me pic up now lol.

My arrows are showing where i think the heavier ppn wil move to and i have just seen the bbc weather for the week ahead and i think they back the eastern parts of lincs an NE England to get 10-15cm from late this afternoon and overnight.

Your welcome, lets hope your right now lol !!

Posted

Is this snow actually getting any nearer? Looking at the loop on NW radar it appears to be at the bottom corner of The Wash, near King's Lynn, for the past hour or so and has made no progress northward at all. Anyone else noticed this?

yep it dont seem to be moving much at all

Edited by willkani

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

So much for Thomas predicting the Pennines to get 20cm of snow. Just like I said we miss out again!! Just can't believe what I'm seeing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

The front out to the east is on the pivot so it will move further north shortly

Posted

So much for Thomas predicting the Pennines to get 20cm of snow. Just like I said we miss out again!! Just can't believe what I'm seeing.

Can't believe you have started whinging already........

Wait and follow and you will see whats happening

read other peoples posts