Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

it will adam, look at the radar and flick through the past 2 hours......... watch how the low develops just off the east coast of norfolk, and its all heading our way, it does look like its going to head north up the north sea....it will for a wee while yet untill the easterly winds, which are very strong boot it into our region... as it comes in and bumps into the pennines , there is like a crunch effect in the clouds as they need to rise, congestion if you like , or like a car crash, imagine a crumpled bonnet if you like, has a ripple effect and the end result is heavy ppn of snow , and with the added effect of the wind comming in of the north sea creates convection in the system....

ive put this to my best in laymens terms and hope you understand it .

i think your school will be closed tomorrow blum.gif

Thanks, id not factored in the effect of it squashing up against the pennines.

Posted

Can we both pray for a snow miracle? I have an exam tomorrow at SHU and I have done VERY little revision! ... C'mon snow! lol

Better do some CRASH revising now instead of following this. Think of what you might miss...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Advice needed...Kids are so sure this is going to be a let down and school will be open, so they have offered me a bet. If school is open and they win I owe em a tenner each, if its shut and I win I can have their iphones for 48hrs......should I take the bet? sorry.gif

the reason why schools close is down to health and safety, a covering of snow on the roof may cause it to cave in....... and also if there was an emergency at the school .. if it was a fire for example and emergency services cannor readily gain access to the building is the basis on why headmasters/ladies make their decision on wheather or not to open ....to add to this if you were on school premises and slipped on snow/ice you can sue.... i would take the bet if i was you and double it

Posted

Front now moving into South Lincs proper (Finally after spalding had hogged it all day rofl.gif ) Raintoday radar shows it is about to hit Boston, However the heavy stuff has just made the Yarmouth area and im still confident that this will hit our part of Lincs head on later tonight maybe in the wee hours.

LO

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Windows cleaned inside and out so i can now see properly. Although not as straight forward as i thought, had to go round next door and borrow some proper

cleaning product as theres only bleach and fairy liquid under my sink. I opted for the fairy and couldn't see out the bloody thing when i'd done.

Neighbour gave me a magic blue liquid called windolene, squirted it on, quick rub and PING, perfect. She's not getting that back.

Posted

A heavy pulse has developed over the Wash.

Im new to all this , what path is this currently taking ?? Im in Nottinghamshire < 8 miles NW of city and seen nothing allday !!

Posted

the reason why schools close is down to health and safety, a covering of snow on the roof may cause it to cave in....... and also if there was an emergency at the school .. if it was a fire for example and emergency services cannor readily gain access to the building is the basis on why headmasters/ladies make their decision on wheather or not to open ....to add to this if you were on school premises and slipped on snow/ice you can sue.... i would take the bet if i was you and double it

At our school most of the time the closure is dictated by the bus companies - as the majority of our students come in by the bus if they're not willing to bring them school shuts. It doesn't help that the council doesn't grit the hill or road up to school!

Posted

Had a big thaw today and lost around 40/50 percent of snow on the roads. It felt tropical this morning at 3 degrees and it was great not having to clear the car before my journey to work.

Here's hoping for a drop in temperature so we have more chance of snow!! Radar watching all day and its certainly slow moving..

Posted

A teacher friend of mine told me yesterday that they never closed on Snow days until Ofsted marked them down for massive absence stats. Loads of Kids can't make it to school in the snow and are classed as absent without permission if the school opened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Advice needed...Kids are so sure this is going to be a let down and school will be open, so they have offered me a bet. If school is open and they win I owe em a tenner each, if its shut and I win I can have their iphones for 48hrs......should I take the bet? sorry.gif

Had to reply to this as just this very minute had similar bet with my 2 - also for a tenner each! One of them has exam tomorrow and is desperate for school to be shut to allow an extra day's revision. I am pretty confident they will be on the losing end of this. biggrin.png

Current temp 0.1C (DP -3C) and light snow started already ahead of the main band to add to 8 cm already laying so looking good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Looks good over the N Sea between Holland and the Norfolk coast

Posted

I'll be happy with a small covering tonight, as that would be 3 snowfalls in a week.Hopefully the temp and dews will drop soon as they have hardly moved all day.

Posted

Had to reply to this as just this very minute had similar bet with my 2 - also for a tenner each! One of them has exam tomorrow and is desperate for school to be shut to allow an extra day's revision. I am pretty confident they will be on the losing end of this. biggrin.png

Current temp 0.1C (DP -3C) and light snow started already ahead of the main band to add to 8 cm already laying so looking good.

Even if the school is closed I think exams would still go ahead as normal, it'd have to be something like 2009/10 for exams not to go ahead I think (even then I think exams still continued as normal in most places).

Exams can't be postponed a day, it'd have to mean sitting it in the summer instead.

Edited by SnowRules

Posted

Looks good over the N Sea between Holland and the Norfolk coast

Do you think that beefy blob will hit Lincolnshire ?? I'm still struggling to understand how it will move further up the coast as it seems to be moving across the country!!!

Confused.com

Posted

Evening all, looking forward to this evening n nightclapping.gif love it all to pep up for everybody.WE are all curtain twitchers at heart. Wife thinks im a nutcase and kids think im fairly oddfool.gif Good luck all.

Posted

Windows cleaned inside and out so i can now see properly. Although not as straight forward as i thought, had to go round next door and borrow some proper

cleaning product as theres only bleach and fairy liquid under my sink. I opted for the fairy and couldn't see out the bloody thing when i'd done.

Neighbour gave me a magic blue liquid called windolene, squirted it on, quick rub and PING, perfect. She's not getting that back.

Vinegar in warm water, Use old News papsers scrunched up, Dap the paper wet, polish the window - You wont get a better streak/mark free finish. :-))

Posted

Just started here 10 mins or so ago definitely head noh again now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Leeds City Council tweeting 8 to 15cms possible in Leeds overnight and in morning.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

temp is 1.8 here just gone up from being 1.7 for the last couple of hours ?