Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

What time is the main band due to hit, Raintoday shows it not getting north of Nottingham and then channeling away NW missing Manchester all together

There must be a push north at some point

The low pressure will track north taking the ppn with it, always heavier to the east of the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

If only that 25cm wedge was futher west! It's going to be VERY close whether we get 2cm or more like 20cm......

Looks good for the Pennines then if that map is to be believed.

Maybe a decent covering for this part of the region after all and I certainly like the severe drifting/blizzards bit.

Posted

Absolutely no chance of any worthwhile snow IMBY in the next five days, it's been a pretty poor few days no sunshine, no frost and that drip, drip, drip you get with thawing snow. We need heights to transfer over to Greenland, but not one model output shows that happening out in FI. I see the PV lobe coming out of Canada and setting up shop exactly where it did in December, cold rain and lots off.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

Good luck everyone tonight!! Although not expecting much as I don't want to be dissapointed when it all goes wrong!! wallbash.gif

Posted

thanks Liam, seems to be struggling to push north, guess that's due to the upper wind from the east

Anyone use a different real time radar other than Rain Today to see if the band does indeed move north

Edited by cheshire cat

Posted

Glad it's holding off until later tonight when temps will drop and hopefully dewpoints too. Looking at what the South East are getting appears a little sleety to me. Lots of energy building up just off East Anglia coast, hopefully this is what will venture our way tonight/tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks good for the Pennines then if that map is to be believed.

Maybe a decent covering for this part of the region after all and I certainly like the severe drifting/blizzards bit.

You look at that drawing by the met office and yet we are not even in a yellow warning, doesn't add up?

Posted

The 12z gfs downgrades the precipitation tonight to mainly light and then brings a moderate fall around 9am tomorrow! lol

It looks good for the far north of the region and still good for the Pennines.

Posted

Just been for a walk and came across some cracking snowdrifts on the footpath between A6 and Rivi services on the M61 smile.pngpost-10980-0-84954800-1358696650_thumb.j

Posted

Just been for a walk and came across some cracking snowdrifts on the footpath between A6 and Rivi services on the M61 smile.pngpost-10980-0-84954800-1358696650_thumb.j

Crazy! Down the road here in Westhoughton there has been a bit of thaw and no where near that much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

thanks Liam, seems to be struggling to push north, guess that's due to the upper wind from the east

Anyone use a different real time radar other than Rain Today to see if the band does indeed move north

Try the met office i phone app it predicts rain/snow about 12hrs ahead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

wow the snow in the southeast is now trying to settle on gritted roads.. really heavy stuff!

Posted

To my untrained, thicko eye, doesn't that look rather ruddy good?!

its telling me we are in with a good chance of a dumping! depending on the track ofc. we cant be far from the large dumping section on there and netweather forecast is for more than 10cm here too!

Posted

Well,not a bit of snow left here now and with the temperature bumping 3c I'm not too sure anything would stick unless heavy..What are the chances of snow in the area?,I have been away from here all day.

Posted

Every time the UK Met Office downplay ours chances of some snow, and in my experience they are wrong more than they are right. I'm going for another inch or so from later on this evening into the night.

EDIT: Wow that was my 400th post!! smile.png

Somehow I don't think your way of thinking will work. wink.png

Posted

its telling me we are in with a good chance of a dumping! depending on the track ofc. we cant be far from the large dumping section on there and netweather forecast is for more than 10cm here too!

It's more or less saying being on the east of the Pennines is the highest snow threat with it getting lower as yo travel westwards. You have a good chance tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

You look at that drawing by the met office and yet we are not even in a yellow warning, doesn't add up?

True, there is also a yellow and amber warning further north which both end at the same western point.

They must be expecting the North West snow dome roof to be closed later.

Posted

Crazy! Down the road here in Westhoughton there has been a bit of thaw and no where near that much!

Must be the Blackrod snow magnet in operation :) plus praying to the snow gods that live on winter hill ;)

Posted

you should get loads its snowing very heavy down here reports of over 8 inches in places

Posted

Must be the Blackrod snow magnet in operation :) plus praying to the snow gods that live on winter hill ;)

Haha well I hope we both get a good answer from the snow gods! They must be dancing around the 'shrine' on top of the hill!

Posted

Well the latest GFS 12Z is predicting an event similar to Friday's. My thoughts were that the GFS on Friday got the extent of the snow pretty spot on at short range. What it couldn't predict was the patchiness and intermittent nature of the falls. If the latest charts are anything to go by we could see another moderate fall in some places but with the same patchiness. Some areas getting a good few cms and others getting a dusting. Here's hoping the areas that got a dusting do better this time.