Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Phoned home and it's gone wet in SW Edinburgh. Any snow that was settling has now gone from the roads.

Oddly it's starting to pick up here again, starting to lie again on some paths, on cars, roofs etc.

Posted

Report via good lady on phone says continued heavy snow, drifting, 0.9C. No depth estimate as she is not very good at telling. Didn't have the heart to say "get out there with a ruler then!"

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Moderate but wet snow - no accumulations on bare areas. Foot prints and tracks are thawing through. Really strange to see, never been this close to sea level in a big snow so finding it difficult to get my head round constant snow not accumulating and even thawing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Getting better here...heaviest snow yet, it sweeping down in sheets. Visibility down to about 1km.

Edit: it's off again bar the odd flake.

Edited by snow1975

Posted

Oddly it's starting to pick up here again, starting to lie again on some paths, on cars, roofs etc.

Are you 'here' or 'there' at the minute? I'm still hopefull something might happen later but this is frustrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Looking out of the 11th floor of Glasgow University library and the sky looks very dramatic but very little coming out of it! I seem to be in that endless radar hole that seems to be stopping all snowy activity in the city.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Are you 'here' or 'there' at the minute? I'm still hopefull something might happen later but this is frustrating.

In Edinburgh, at Pollock, precipitation seems to be heaviest on the east side of the city which might explain this. It's coming and going a bit still but the heaviest pulses yet are just about to arrive so I think that might be worth waiting for, hopefully.

Posted

In Edinburgh, at Pollock, precipitation seems to be heaviest on the east side of the city which might explain this. It's coming and going a bit still but the heaviest pulses yet are just about to arrive so I think that might be worth waiting for, hopefully.

We've had nothing that I would call 'heavy' really since about 8.30am up at the house. Certainly not here at the Gyle which is grim at the minute.

Do we have much chance later this evening? Is this due to maybe continue?

Edit: Just had a heavy bit but they're lasting for about 30secs to a minute and then gone again!

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

chat wit wife 4 miles away at home

edo "very wet snow has not lied in the town"

wife "oh its defo lying here!! nice tho :)"

That will do for me as its really snowing heavier for 20mins in town now with wet flakes and this is in advance of Lorenzos 4pm blizzard which if it does not happen will see me head to livingston and personally rub his head in the wet slush!!! (i lied earlier ;) )

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I still can't believe what is happening. Everything is set up for a snow event and it's failed again. Utterly abysmal.

Posted

Nae snaw or drifting here at all. Nothing tae see. Move along now please. ph34r.png

Here, CMD, How's aboot we start an eastern Borders regional thread...whistling.gif

Hold on, f3ckin hell, getting faster and deeper. Is that possible? Oops, sorry....

I can't believe you and Catch would exclude me from the Lothian and Borders snow-bromance after all the great snowfalls (Friday night) we've had togethersorry.gif

We've had nothing that I would call 'heavy' really since about 8.30am up at the house. Certainly not here at the Gyle which is grim at the minute.

Do we have much chance later this evening? Is this due to maybe continue?

Seems to be concentrated on the east side still, but most forecasts have heavier stuff with better conditions from about 4pm onwards moving northwards, and in fact the snow risk really continues on all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Getting better here...heaviest snow yet, it sweeping down in sheets. Visibility down to about 1km.

Well that's more encouraging then if it's snowing in Leven! Maybe things will take a turn for the better soon!

Had to laugh at that News24 reporter reporting from Forfar. Whilst being interviewed by the studio, he really couldn't tell them what they wanted to hear as there was nothing to report! No main routes closed and not that many schools. I really thought that the 1.30pm forecast would have changed after that, but no, the amber warning is still there. Sometimes seeing isn't believing!laugh.png

eta: Just re-read your post - not sure if you're havin' a larf! Visibility down to 1km? I couldn't even see across the road when I woke up through the night!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

I can't believe you and Catch would exclude me from the Lothian and Borders snow-bromance after all the great snowfalls (Friday night) we've had togethersorry.gif

Seems to be concentrated on the east side still, but most forecasts have heavier stuff with better conditions from about 4pm onwards moving northwards, and in fact the snow risk really continues on all night.

Thanks LS. It's frustrating but it's addictive this model, radar, window watching! It's like gambling but it costs nothing! Except sanity maybe!

Posted

Ok, heaviest band seems to have arrived, and by the radar I'd suggest this is likely to spread across Edinburgh for the next few hours. Small flake size to start with but visibility is dropping dramatically and we might just be in luck now.

Although most of it out of my window is stuck dancing up and down in a localised eddy current which is quite pretty but not exactly helpful.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Best snow event on the the hill since December 2010. Just won't let up ......albeit horizontally. -0.5C.

Gonna head out in a mo' armed with balaclava, gaiters and ski goggles to see what's going on further up. Poked my head out the door this morning and the poor sheep are huddled motionless behind the dykes to get out of the wind.

post-10976-0-94861800-1358776467_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Well that's more encouraging then if it's snowing in Leven! Maybe things will take a turn for the better soon!

Had to laugh at that News24 reporter reporting from Forfar. Whilst being interviewed by the studio, he really couldn't tell them what they wanted to hear as there was nothing to report! No main routes closed and not that many schools. I really thought that the 1.30pm forecast would have changed after that, but no, the amber warning is still there. Sometimes seeing isn't believing!laugh.png

eta: Just re-read your post - not sure if you're havin' a larf! Visibility down to 1km?

eta: Just re-read your post - not sure if you're havin' a larf! Visibility down to 1km?

I'm not in Leven.I'm in the Tundra wastelands north of Kennoway.

Edited by snow1975

Ok, heaviest band seems to have arrived, and by the radar I'd suggest this is likely to spread across Edinburgh for the next few hours. Small flake size to start with but visibility is dropping dramatically and we might just be in luck now.

Although most of it out of my window is stuck dancing up and down in a localised eddy current which is quite pretty but not exactly helpful.

Siiting in the office in central edinburgh at the mo!!! hope your right

Took a ruler out to measure depths, not happening as too much snow. Mrs Catch switched to body measurements and it is roughly knee deep level. That's the bits which are not drifted they are up to thigh high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I'm just a mile down the road from you in Chambers Street, been heavy the last while and slushing up on the window ledge.

You have a wee bit more height and should work out better there ... but basically would need to keep things at this intensity for quite a while to even start to usefully accumulate this claggy stuff.

Posted

Well.... the powers that be haven't seen fit to grant us any lying snow yet... certainly here in the town.. am going up the hill shortly so maybe some more up there :)

Tim

Posted

At long last it's starting to stick smile.png

Where abouts are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Hmmm, this is a strange snaw 'event' all right. Snowing steadily now since 6am, occasionally heavy, but the ground has gone a bit*

post-736-0-37338600-1358776844_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, here are a couple more snaps of the Knock (local hill) and the fields at the edge of town disappearing into the most persistent (yet crap) snowfall I've seen in a while.

post-736-0-64923800-1358776877_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-15393200-1358776914_thumb.jpg

* wouldn't let it lie. I'll get my coat...I'll be needing it for the snaw...

Posted

Snows heavier in Glasgow now!