Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

I'm 240m asl IT'S SNOWING HERE - AND WHEN CARDIFF GETS RAIN IN MARGINAL SITUATIONS IT STILL SNOWS HERE - COME UP FROM THE VALLEY FLOOR TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN HERE - AND YOU DROP 2 - 3 CENTIGRADE!

The only wind up merchant here Andy is him. He's had what 10 posts and is already creating problems. Best to ignore him. I think the vast majority of members here have more experience and knowledge than he does when it comes to the weather. He was banging on the same rubbish last Friday and couldn't be anymore wrong.

Posted

I got home from work about 20 past 6, arranged the cars at the end of the drive, put some food out for the birds and it seemed like it was noisy sleet. I used my foot to move a few snowy patches out the way then came in, went upstairs to put my pjs on, watched the weather on ITV, then looked out the window to see the cars and drive were covered with snow and it's piling it down.

Hubby's got nervous and has moved his car to the end of the stree.

Posted

That sounds about right Andy - always notice travelling from Caerphiily to where I live theres about a 2 degree difference in the temperature and the Graigerhorn and Cardiff would be even more extreme I would guess. Snizzling outside already though the temperature is a balmy 1.9 degrees outside. Wife just came home and said it was snowing quite heavily in Caerphilly about half an hour ago.

And not getting worried about the mild spell- to be honest could do with the break and theres still a good 6 weeks or more for a reoccurrence of the last week. What we would have given for this weather before Christmas- how quickly we forget ;0)

Posted

Looking on XC-Weather, wind looks to shift SE then E from the early hours, pulling in the negative dew points currently across most of England.

A negative point may be that the current temps/dew points seem higher in northern France tonight than they were on Friday evening, so perhaps the initial draw from the SE may not be as productive for snow as during Friday's event.

That's my take on it, but happy to be corrected!

Posted

Ian Furgesson sticking with met weather warning 2 to 5cm low ground 5 to 10 cms high ground.Quite a heavy squall line moving into Cornwall not worried about dew points because they will drop quickly in that front.

I watch his forecast and tapes our, i think he very good, he gives much more information out than derek.

Posted

Please ignoretease.gif that"s what closed the old BBC weather forum to manytease.gif .

Were u on there, that was class..... Thats why i love NIck's forecasting abilty. He's got my respect.

Who was the evil one ....Farkin or someone.

Edited by snowy36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Snowing here! light but definitely snow!

Moderate sleet here after earlier patchy snow during the day. Could have done with these showers in previous days. This has thinned snow cover, but still plenty left. Temps currently 2c (was 4c by Singleton Park), which is 2c colder than it was on Thursday night.

By morning, the snow situation will be very different, heavy rain could thin in considerably, or further snow may give a nice top up. Given the setup looks similar or better and winds will have turned to an Easterly, still hopeful.

Edited by Jackone

living in blaenavon which is 350m asl we often get heavy snow but travel 2 miles down the valley to abersychan at 150m asl they get sleet.... people further down the valley in pontypool and cwmbran can never believe how much snow we have at the top of the valley... so never under estimate the hills of the s.Wales valleys.

Posted

I watch his forecast and tapes our, i think he very good, he gives much more information out than derek.

He's excellent. Goes by the latest data available. Clearly doen't plan his forecast too far in advance.

Back home: just took the mountain bike to the top of Mynydd Machen and there's still several inches of pristine powder up there despite a slight thaw in the valley today. Wind direction (as determined by the trusty wet finger!) is certainly on the move. More SSE or SE currently. Had some decent flakes earlier here and temp just dropped below 0c again. Good signs for tomorrow i think overall.

Posted

He's excellent. Goes by the latest data available. Clearly doen't plan his forecast too far in advance.

Back home: just took the mountain bike to the top of Mynydd Machen and there's still several inches of pristine powder up there despite a slight thaw in the valley today. Wind direction (as determined by the trusty wet finger!) is certainly on the move. More SSE or SE currently. Had some decent flakes earlier here and temp just dropped below 0c again. Good signs for tomorrow i think overall.

I'm hopeful for tomm, well 18z NAE charts will tell us everything we need to know. I told my friend i'll text her at about 9 to tell the latest information.

Edited by snowy36

Posted

Were u on there, that was class..... Thats why i love NIck's forecasting abilty. He's got my respect.

Who was the evil one ....Farkin or someone.

Bill Farkin and His Grebe Theory he used Grebes to predict weather quite hilarious shame they havent brought the beeb weather forum back

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Serious thaw going on here, even though still snowing lightly.

Icicles are melting quickly and snow disappearing fast. aggressive.gif

Posted

Serious thaw going on here, even though still snowing lightly.

Icicles are melting quickly and snow disappearing fast. aggressive.gif

Been like that here all day - oh well at least it wont be as painful when it turns milder, whenever that is!

Posted

Hi all

in regards to temps and altitude, I live in the center of Cardiff 10 meters asl about a half mile from the Bristol channel and use the Barrage for temps and dew points even then it can be snowing here but raining down the bay

If we can not get our snow fix in Cardiff we pop up the valleys to play in the snow

I have heard Andy does not mind sharing some of his snowsmiliz39.gifsmiliz39.gif