Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Is it me or is this precipitation a lot heavier and a lot further north than on the models or I'm I wrong?

Posted

That storm showing over Plymouth has been travelling up the Coast and could turn inland towards Exeter, could that give somewhere in the Southwest a huge quick snowfall - like the M5 one a few years ago. I was not expecting such a interesting night i must say

Posted

Temps dropped nicely now in Cardiff.

Now will the Bristol channel warm temperatures increase precipitation, or make temps slightly too warm? Its a close call and could make huge diference

Posted

That precipitation looks like it is heading for me lol. Temp at the moment 0.7C dew point 0.7C, will it be snow or will it be rain?????

Looks as if my son's school had inside info as we had a text at 3.30pm saying that 4" of snow has been forecast so school will be closed tomorrow, the only school throughout the Vale of Glamorgan

Edited by scoggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

That precipitation looks like it is heading for me lol. Temp at the moment 0.7C dew point 0.7C, will it be snow or will it be rain?????

Looks as if my son's school had inside info as we had a text at 3.30pm saying that 4" of snow has been forecast so school will be closed tomorrow, the only school throughout the Vale of Glamorgan

Very drastic measures for the school to take considering the Met Office said it was very uncertain.

Posted

Temperature wayy too high here at the moment 2.3c...though it is dropping slowly!

To me it looks like there's a gap between precipitation and that gap may mean we miss out if it continues travelling in the direction it currently is

Posted

I checked car hour ago and thick ice covers it. Also reports of lightning striking a building on dartmoor. Aparently a nice storm brewing down there. Hopefully its got cardiff in its sight and turns to snow. Front precipitation reported as rain

Posted

It's definitely building a lot after every radar update. I don't want to jinx myself but I wouldn't be too miserable if we got rain instead if snow considering the intensity of it and the thunder/lightening/hail reports from SW England. :D

Posted

Very drastic measures for the school to take considering the Met Office said it was very uncertain.

Exactly what I said to the Mrs.....temp seems to be rising slightly, now 0.9C and with me only being approx a mile from the coast and only 33m asl not expecting much more than sleet to be honest.

As I thought, looking at the netweather extra radar, looks as if it is turning to sleet/rain as it comes over the channel.

Edited by scoggs

Posted

More snow on the ground up here than at any time since Feb 2007, around 5 inches. Only a very minor thaw just before it went dark, now its freezing quite hard, I have a temp of -2.0 right now.

Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Temp still at -1C and dp at -2.2C, outside everything is frozen, so with all that combined that would be ideal for snow to settle just hope that front gets here!

One thing I noticed i the latest fax; it shows a trough again over W.Wales but the only way im seeing it get there is to pass over Wales, and this would likely to have heavy embedded showers within it, it is for tomorrow at 6pm but one to watch IMO

post-17320-0-13510400-1358815359_thumb.g

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Some good showery activity in the BC .

Looks like it got newport and my area on it .

Anyone think the same .

And my area hopefully! But I defiantly see it coming, but I thought the front wouldve been larger than that or is there more to come? Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

To me it looks like there's a gap between precipitation and that gap may mean we miss out if it continues travelling in the direction it currently is

That would be just our luck!

Posted

Thunder seems to be located just near that intense blob that went thru truro plymouth dartmoor and possibly heading close to exeter. More may break out due to huge temperature inversion. Mixing of air causing huge instabiliy as the warm air tries to rapidly rise in the cold dense surface air. The warmer air unable to hold water content then at lower temperature. So huge transfer of energy as precipitation formsand intensifies. However its where this temperature inversion happens thats important. Its like a wide squall line but as it only gets so far north will it die off in the front or stall and keep intesity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

anyone else noticed the actual precipitation seems to be much further north than progged on GFS?

Posted

Thunder seems to be located just near that intense blob that went thru truro plymouth dartmoor and possibly heading close to exeter. More may break out due to huge temperature inversion. Mixing of air causing huge instabiliy as the warm air tries to rapidly rise in the cold dense surface air. The warmer air unable to hold water content then at lower temperature. So huge transfer of energy as precipitation formsand intensifies. However its where this temperature inversion happens thats important. Its like a wide squall line but as it only gets so far north will it die off in the front or stall and keep intesity.

Great knowledge and explanation pyro! Do you think those showers may intensify as they pass over the B.Channel, to reach us in S.Wales?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Posted

The precip over SW England is looking large enough and travelling in the right direction to hit SE Wales soon..

But will it maintain intensity? Increase in intensity? Snow? Rain? Anything could happen right now so it's very interesting. Lots more developments to come if you look at the radar progress :)