Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted

I hope they do. The channel can be our best friend or worst enermy in this situation. Can certainky aid convection but can also make marginal temperatures problematic. looking okay so far as. It approaches us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Certainly a nowcasting and lamp post watching event. Glad I didn't go to bed earlier.

Posted

The first showers appear to have hit the Llantwit area although these appear to be of rain. The front should widen as it hits the colder air thus increasing the temp inversion. Most of se wales should get some ppn out of this, I think it's going to be marginal but above 100m you stand a chance of lying snow.

Posted

I think it'll be rain for coastal areas unfortunately. We had a good 2 hours of heavy rain before the snow on Friday. This band of precipitation just isn't large enough to pull in low dew points from far afield or stay over us long enough for the transition. Hope I'm wrong!

Posted

Well I shall say when it hits here can't be far away now and tell you whether its rain/snow or wah ever.

NW Extra shows it turning to sleet/snow away from immediate coastal areas

Seems precip is intensifying and becoming larger as it crosses the Bristol Channel IMO.

Posted

You might have noticed that as precipitation hit welsh coast the echo intensified. What we do not know is if thats just convection. Or if rain turned to snow. Unless someone has nw extra and you will be able to tell

Posted

I think it'll be rain for coastal areas unfortunately. We had a good 2 hours of heavy rain before the snow on Friday. This band of precipitation just isn't large enough to pull in low dew points from far afield or stay over us long enough for the transition. Hope I'm wrong!

Yes you got it wrong it is going to snow .

Posted

You might have noticed that as precipitation hit welsh coast the echo intensified. What we do not know is if thats just convection. Or if rain turned to snow. Unless someone has nw extra and you will be able to tell

I'm not expert but NW extra says it's turning to sleet across the Vale. Im a bit worried that the front is starting to push too far east now. Bulk of it and the heavy stuff might miss us...

Posted

Yep, can confirm sleet here in Barry

Well if it sleet in Barry Im hopeful it'll be snow here. Constantly looking outside haha

Posted

It is pure cold rain down here on the coast at Aberthaw, we are to close to the coast to have snow, however a few miles in land should do well clapping.gif

Edited by Aberthaw

Posted

NW Extra just updated for 1:05 has a tiny pink (snow) square over my location

Posted

Well if it sleet in Barry Im hopeful it'll be snow here. Constantly looking outside haha

Well if it is sleet where I am, usually it is snow at the top end of Barry. So I would say could well be snow for you.

Posted

Very true that this could shape out to be similar to the NAE from this morning/afternoon with heavy precip over Wales giving us a nice few inches. Just following the radar now tho.

Well if it is sleet where I am, usually it is snow at the top end of Barry. So I would say could well be snow for you.

I recon it could turn to snow for you too when the heavy stuff arrives. If it started as sleet then wouldn't take much to turn

Just seen a large snow flake just the 1 while peeking out the window its a start !

Posted

According to Netweather extra the precip is turning to snow along the M4. Similar to earlier today when we had a mad heavy snow shower, rain a mile away from J33 down the Ely slip road and then soon as I got on the M4 and headed for J34 it turned in to really heavy snow. Mayb the M4 is the boundary? Saying that I recon most will get snow tonight if its heavy enough precip - evaporative cooling and all that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

According to Netweather extra the precip is turning to snow along the M4. Similar to earlier today when we had a mad heavy snow shower, rain a mile away from J33 down the Ely slip road and then soon as I got on the M4 and headed for J34 it turned in to really heavy snow. Mayb the M4 is the boundary? Saying that I recon most will get snow tonight if its heavy enough precip - evaporative cooling and all that.

How simple would it be if forecasters just said that! lol tease.gif Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Very true that this could shape out to be similar to the NAE from this morning/afternoon with heavy precip over Wales giving us a nice few inches. Just following the radar now tho.

I recon it could turn to snow for you too when the heavy stuff arrives. If it started as sleet then wouldn't take much to turn

Just seen a large snow flake just the 1 while peeking out the window its a start !

There does seem to be a bit more snow in the mix now, but it could be I'm tired lol. Off to bed now and see what I wake up to. Hope you get some snow.

Posted

Now NW Extra saying snow south of the M4 in North Cardiff. Still nothing falling from the sky here bar the 1 flake I saw

Posted

How can the precipiation be forcast to be with us and be heaviest between 6 am and 12pm when the bands look to clear our are in a couple of hours tops?? if anyone has an answer please let me know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Did anyone in the Barry area just hear a few rumbles of thunder a few minutes ago?

Oh how I hope it comes here if its rain i wont mind thunder to be mixed in with the equation!

How can the precipiation be forcast to be with us and be heaviest between 6 am and 12pm when the bands look to clear our are in a couple of hours tops?? if anyone has an answer please let me know

I thinks the front is going to stall, as the showers behind the front pile up there would be a more considerable band of precipitation, thats what happened Friday! (however I dont think the extent of any snow is likely to be like Fridays) Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Met Office did say the forecast was very uncertain so timings, locations and amounts could change. The NAE changed several times through the day.