Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted

Snowing rather nicely now in Machynlleth. Temp about 1.2C.

Snow falling (Wind) is from the East.

((Sorry, I'm a complete amateur - the type that 'knocks the glass' (on the old barometer) every morning when anyone mentions snow - can't give you any more 'readings' than that...))

Posted

Started snowing again here in oakdale Blackwood,fancy the wind has picked up too,also noticed a lot of snow falling of the wires,don't know if its thawing even though its snowing or it's just to heavy. Huge flakes now,amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Just started here again but there's a big thaw today compared to previous days

Posted

Started snowing again here in oakdale Blackwood,fancy the wind has picked up too,also noticed a lot of snow falling of the wires,don't know if its thawing even though its snowing or it's just to heavy. Huge flakes now,amazing!

hope it comes pontypool way yippe

Posted

Another few inches of snow here this morning, enough to cause disruption for me not to get to work! :) Currently still snowing lightly but snow is thawing with temps almost at 2*C already! :S

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Snowing rather nicely now in Machynlleth. Temp about 1.2C.

Snow falling (Wind) is from the East.

((Sorry, I'm a complete amateur - the type that 'knocks the glass' (on the old barometer) every morning when anyone mentions snow - can't give you any more 'readings' than that...))

Hope for me yet then as you are to my north!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

thaw well under way here

Posted

Well got into work in Newport with not too much trouble to be honest - got the wife on snow patrol at home in case we get anything later this afternoon as temps drop then we'll see what happens tonight and take one day at a time at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Snowing again in Cardiff. I expect it to be brief as the radar isn't showing much. Looks like sporadic showers beefing up as they come over the bristol channel. Quite surprised that it's sticking on the ground etc as it was thawing gently beforehand. Nice big flakes.

Posted

Snow stopped here now - just measured and we got 2 inches! not bad at all lol

Posted

Please some of you give Derek Brockway a break, I have a great deal of respect for him!

He tweeted this just now in response to you bashers:

Derek Brockway â€@DerekTheWeather

@Lampeterweather we follow Met Office guidance. Forecasting is not always straight forward. I'd like to see them go in front of the camera.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Please some of you give Derek Brockway a break, I have a great deal of respect for him!

@Lampeterweather we follow Met Office guidance. Forecasting is not always straight forward. I'd like to see them go in front of the camera.

Indeed! Being a forecaster myself, you have to be thick skinned and be prepared to get egg on your face at times!!rofl.gifrofl.gifblum.gif

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

This was what my post was alluding to earlier Tony, they really do have their hands tied and have to follow senior forecaster guidance. On top of that there are masses of uncertainty because these are not 'broad' bands coming in - they are narrower areas of PPN and because we are looking closer at them a 10 mile shift is really affecting forecasts and we have temperatures fluctuating and wind direction adding to the flux!

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT

Posted

I now realise why I stopped hosting!

Posted

Well the 'Valleys Blob' is heading my way it will be either sleet or wet snow that does not settle!

Current temp 1.4c DP +0.3c.

Posted

Only ended up getting 1 or 2 cm here but what an eventful night! Thunder snow, hail and snow from that bunch of showers over the SW. Hopefully it's a taster for what's to come from the main band tonight/tomorrow AM. smile.png

Posted

That blob has been over me here in the Amman Valley for the last half hour o so and has deposited a fresh 1cm covering of snow ond all surfaces and it's still coming down :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Still sporadic snow up here in Bargoed and eyes down and looking at the movements on tonights potential coming across from France.

Quiet on here - everyone must be outside doing something.......................

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Still sporadic snow up here in Cardiff and eyes down and looking at the movements on tonights potential coming across from France.

Quiet on here - everyone must be outside doing something.......................

JK

Looks like it could be heading our way. Radar watching it is then....

Posted

Sleety snow started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I used to like this thread :(

Posted

I was under the impression that it was forecast but they expressed the uncertainty was higher than normal. It was only a few inches so hardly the end of the world.

I think you're being a little harsh on this occasion Andy

yellow warning stated 2 - 5cm & 5 - 10cm on higher ground

Edited by Snowmadsam
removed quote