Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 21/01/13 6z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Wow crazy 15 mins in Plymouth - now massive hail stones! Everything white!

what part are you in, st Judes here but mainly rain at mo with a few claps. Temp jumped a degree and a half at 4.3 now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well the GEFS looks like it's downgraded snow event for my area in Devon yet again? But BBC weather shows widespread snow for us too morrow evening...

Anymore downgrades and they'll be carding me off in a straight jacket lol argh I'm going with BBC on this one and I think mid feb will have a sting in its winter tail for most of us...I can feel it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

With regards to the ppn bands, to be honest I thinks it all just one big mash up, not some much organised bands of ppn. A complex Low forming with associated fronts/troughs/instability. Who knows whats going to appear on the Radar as we head through the next 24/36 hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

dam my radar has just gone down.. Any of that PPN likely moving towards Barnstaple ??? or should I just call it a night?

help.gif

Looking at the radar apparently barnstaple is under sleet/wintery mix?

Posted

Okay for those of you unsure heres a quick breakdown..

This isnt part of the main band waranting the warning, this is just a little pre-snow, the reason there is so much uncertainity is because how different this showery ppn is to what it is forecast, moving alot quick, it could all push NE out of your reigon or could stick with you all day, basically its probably worth staying up to see the main band approaching to get an idea on what will happen

Posted

Those bright echoes over Plymouth on the 2340 radar are pretty intense. If they maintain that intensity and it falls as snow then that a serious snowstorm right there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards of Dry Powdery Snow

Anyone have any idea as to when the main band is likely to reach the SW?

Posted

I'm just nervous that if I go to bed I will miss the last event of the cold spell.... mega_shok.giffool.gif

Another thing I have been wondering is if this front is in fact just moving in much faster that may not bode well in relaity as we were expecting a slow gradual pivoting front which would last hours... Now it could steam through before we blink?

Yeah I've been wandering this aswell. Our best chance of seeing decent prolonged snowfall was from the gradual pivot like you mentioned, but now it seems anything can happen.

Think I preferred Friday when we knew what we were getting lol.

Posted

Looking at the radar apparently barnstaple is under sleet/wintery mix?

Just been out and its only very light rain... is any off the heavy stuff moving towards me? Cant get my NW radar to work, having a hard job just keeping my PC working at the mo dont know whats wrong...

kaz

I am EX32

Edited by kaz

Posted

Just been out and its only very light rain... is any off the heavy stuff moving towards me? Cant get my NW radar to work, having a hard job just keeping my PC working at the mo dont know whats wrong...

kaz

I am EX32

I think the heaviest of the ppn is coming your way, or that is how it looks anyway.

Posted

kaz

I am EX32

The red blob is heading straight toward you:

dfE163n.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

kaz

It's all that weather prawn you have been watching... rofl.gifrofl.gif

See what happens when a heavier burst moves through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

kaz

I am EX32

There is more precipitation heading your way but currently looks like sleety stuff, could pep up and change though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

The bbc24 weather graphics completely contradicted what he said in every way, mentioned how worried they was about the northern and intensity limits of the front , but showed the band on the south coast by 15:00hrs tomorrow , but yet saying how they think there will be snow in Dorset and Wales?! Joke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter snow

what part are you in, st Judes here but mainly rain at mo with a few claps. Temp jumped a degree and a half at 4.3 now

Beacon park, quieter now, hail isn't going anywhere though.... Doubt it'll stick around till morning mind!

Posted

Pretty heavy stuff here now, still sounds like sleet/hail. Too cold to get out of bed and check. Doesn't look good for snow for me tonight, but

there's always tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I have hail coming down my chimney... literally

dropped a degree before it happened to . 3.4 degrees

Edited by fUnKy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

have been comparing current 2 hour radar loop with 18z NMM output, and to my eye the only difference is in the timing. The modelled ppn is in the same area and following the same trajectory as the actual radar imagery, but NMM modelling has the ppn lagging 2 hours behind what is currently happening. Indeed running the last few frames of the radar shows the ppn having more of a northerly than easterly component as it starts to pivot and will continue to spiral anti-Clockwise and head into north devon & South Wales with areas to the east staying predominantly dry, at least for now

Edited by ajpoolshark
what is wrong with the filter???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Front of the ppn seems to be hitting a brick wall and fizzles out so far...

Posted

Well shows what having no snow cover (& being by the sea) does, it's 0.7C with a dew point of -0.9C here when locally other weather stations are reporting -2C to -5C!

Edited by SunnySouthCoast