Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 21st 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

Just got electic reconected. Still hammering down with snow. Not stopped since 1am. Looking quite deep and scenic but didn't brave going out cause got no protection from the wind and driving snow once out. Still cut off but will have to do something tomorrow. Good to be around 1000 feet and 30 miles inland when it hits but just hope it doesn't keep us in house too long.

Posted

What could of been a promising day turned out to be an absolute rotten horrid sort of day with sleet/wet snow falling on a howling easterly wind, apart from a period between 10-11:30 this morning, it has been pretty cr*p in all honesty, nothing laid, most of the paths are slushy although untouch parts still have snow on them and quite frankly its not nice to be out in.

We kinda been unlucky in many ways with snowfall during this cold spell, that weather front from the west stalled just offshore, the narrow band of heavy PPN just to the east on Friday(although I know some nearby locations did very well from that), the sheer lack of convective activity during the weekend and now this, yet we still got respectable amounts of snowfall but we all know it could of been so much better like those further south.

I miss those days where we actually get a sustained northerly for more than 48 hours, much more reliable direction for snowfall for sure.

Posted

Probably won't be able to see this motor come tomorrow morning!

ev2a7m.jpg

Went to clear the car before mate and started clearing somebody elses before I realised mine was the next one down haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

What could of been a promising day turned out to be an absolute rotten horrid sort of day with sleet/wet snow falling on a howling easterly wind, apart from a period between 10-11:30 this morning, it has been pretty cr*p in all honesty, nothing laid, most of the paths are slushy although untouch parts still have snow on them and quite frankly its not nice to be out in.

We kinda been unlucky in many ways with snowfall during this cold spell, that weather front from the west stalled just offshore, the narrow band of heavy PPN just to the east on Friday(although I know some nearby locations did very well from that), the sheer lack of convective activity during the weekend and now this, yet we still got respectable amounts of snowfall but we all know it could of been so much better like those further south.

I miss those days where we actually get a sustained northerly for more than 48 hours, much more reliable direction for snowfall for sure.

I for one will be paying much more attention to your analysis in future geordiesnow, some people say its a bit miserable but it was spot on as far as i can see, apart from a few favoured spots like consett and northumberland this has mostly been a slush fest for all big populated areas. You yourself warned as much when the ramping was getting into overdrive wish i had listened back then and i wouldnt have been so dissapointed now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Went to clear the car before mate and started clearing somebody elses before I realised mine was the next one down haha

Those were the types of depths we got in durham city in 2010, consett truly is a different world!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I didn't mind today, very cold and raw, sleet and wet snow and slush, but very wintry and fun!

Good on those who had all snow or thereabouts, enjoy it (Consett, Durham, Stanley etc)-

Tomorrow has a strong streak of upper humidity across Scotland and Northern England, and a stripe of vorticity associated with an upper low moves in tomorrow afternoon-

CAA is present and -8c/-9c 850s remain across our region from 6am onwards-- -11c/-12c's around Ekofisk and surroundings

Lower level shear at less than 2m/s from the early hours so we definitely have some real unstable cold air crossing the North Sea- and that should form some hefty showers (Tues eve to Weds morning look the best with a strong signal for a ESE>E upper air flow)

Could be v marginal out there on the coast though- especially early on, but the wind dies down and the uppers cool progressively. Good luck to those hoping for snow or getting more snow this evening, and heres hoping you's west of T&W have some big totals to report tomorrow !

PS, anyone fancy this again ? Maybe Feb time ?

Rrea00120101126.gif

Posted

I for one will be paying much more attention to your analysis in future geordiesnow, some people say its a bit miserable but it was spot on as far as i can see, apart from a few favoured spots like consett and northumberland this has mostly been a slush fest for all big populated areas. You yourself warned as much when the ramping was getting into overdrive wish i had listened back then and i wouldnt have been so dissapointed now lol

To be fair, I was quite optimistic about this particular event, It was colder than the Feb 2009 event and this shown by the snowfall that did came from the Sky today, unfortunately, it was all very wet snow which never accumulated down here and in any lighter PPN, it was just sleety.

I just get cautious when reading the model outputs and not take a cold shot to literally when its in the medium range and sometimes I'm wrong for being negative but sometimes I am right. Unfortunately when I have been positive(for a change), I've been proven wrong, I did expect snowfall but I was also expecting lying snow also, I thought we were on the right side of marginal but we were just on the wrong side of marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

White out conditions here....

Where's here?

Could you add your location to you profile or signature bar it makes it easier to see where the snow is then

White out here again, about time, what's the radar looking like guys?

There's still a decent feed coming of the north sea at the moment but I can't see it lasting much longer TBH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

Just nipped out to the shop and i didn't realise how deep the snow was still on the pavement, the majority of that snow fell last Tuesday, if we hadntt of missed out so much Friday and last night, could of been a Dec 2010 total.

Still lying snow for a week is still good going, im giving this cold spell 5/10, not bad could of been better, the one thing lacking was the 4 or 5 nights of serious cold and sunshine during the day.

Posted

just spent two hours with neighbours digging out street, don't know why as another inch already covering it! could be another day off tomorrow if this keeps up!!

Dare I say it, but It's actually getting a bit ridiculous now! wacko.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

WOW. Just been out for a walk to take some pictures, conditions aren't bad, they are lethal now, the Almighty help anyone trying to drive back to Consett now....snow is the heaviest it has been all day and the wind really whipped up. Snow at the edge of Shotley Bridge/Medomsley Edge was up to my knees and I am 6'2" (sorry not scientific). In the space of 45mins of walking around 3-4cm had fallen. I am concerned that Durham County Council will probably give up on Consett once they assume most people are home after 7pm.....big dig the morra to get to work!!!

Dare I say it, but It's actually getting a bit ridiculous now! wacko.png

Dangerous out there. No other word for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Seriously. No one wishes they were in Consett anymore lol. Well not those of us who want to get anywhere this week....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some of the photographs of the snow in Consett are ridiculouS, if only Middlesbrough was about 1500ft above sea level sad.png

Just imagine what it must be like in Tow Law there around 1000ft ASL I think and Consett is just over 800ft

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Where's here?

Could you add your location to you profile or signature bar it makes it easier to see where the snow is then

There's still a decent feed coming of the north sea at the moment but I can't see it lasting much longer TBH

sorry its consett