Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 21st 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

NAE shows PPN rates remaining relatively high until tomorrow morning across the North-east. There is cross model agreement in falling T-wetbulb and freezing levels (as I suggested this morning) so continued PPN is more likely to bring snow toward the coasts. Im not sure about that mystery blob coming out from the near continent, I think that is probably made up, but it is worth noting that the back edge of this system has taken most of the day to travel the 80 miles or so from Sheffield to North Yorkshire, so I think the NAE might not be far out. Anyone checked the NNM models for comparison?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Is this front crossing the North Sea still destined to hit us?

It think its a radar error.....I don't think it exists. Anything more will be from this system we have now which is fairly self sustaining in terms or pulses of snow still.

Posted

Very disappointed in what I've got in my part of Newton Aycliffe, obviously a lot more than Darlo but that's no consolation. Literally travel 1.5-2 miles N and W and it doubles. A couple miles more, with elevation, and it doubles again. Seen the heavy snow literally pass just to the North all day, and seen the light stuff here re-intensify to the west all day. This is normal for here on a SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Derwentside hit the jackpot as expected.

Not in my usual position, at my grans (about 6 miles from coast, 25m asl)- so much slush around the pavements and roads, no snow on any concrete anymore and a slight thaw of the snow on the grass..

My house at 8 miles away and 50m asl should have mostly snow which highlights the marginality.

Heavy sleet for most of the day here, some snowy intervals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

At least we may get another snow event this weekend when the Atlantic knocks on the door. Battleground event possible?

It will be short lived though with rain washing it away during the early hours of Saturday

gfs-2-102.png?12

gfs-2-108.png?12

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Im amazed the electricity is still on, if we get through tonight without it going off it will be a miracle.

Some people are still amazed we have electricity here Keith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Some people are still amazed we have electricity here Keith

Candles don't count as electricity. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sub zero snow and cold or dry sunny and hot!

Snow all day on the edge of Durham city, 107m asl. Just that slight bit of extra altitude consett and tow law etc have make all the difference.

Should be awesome up at tow law, just over 1000ft!

Posted

Are we still expecting heavy snow tonight and tomorrow morning, as stated on the MetO forecast for Newcastle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Anyone in Newcastle can you report any snow that has fallen?