Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 21st 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Yes that's south westerlies for sure if it does break through then we can expect a thaw taking place

Exactly I mean we would have to have snow here for there to be a thaw! It hacks me off that it can snow in the middle of the sea then turn to sleety rain on the coastal strip and then a blizzard further in land. I am sure it does it to Swearing AGAIN me off lol

Posted

Super wet slushy stuff, Its gave a little bit more of a covering, but you know when you get a slush drink and suck all the flavouring out and your left with an icey thing in the cup? thats whats on the ground now lol

Haha sounds delightful, sounds the same as in Newcastle, my soaking wet feet are about to drop off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today's met office update just about confirms that this cold spell is coming to an end

During next week, changeable, milder weather seems likely with spells of cloudy wet weather interspersed with brighter skies and showers. However, there may still be some snow over high ground with a chance of below average temperatures again later in the period.
Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Colder the better

Stamfordham - Hexham area hasn't stopped snowing all morning and doesnt appear to be stopping. Struggled into work and cant wait for the journey home, gonna be fun!!

Posted

post-16459-0-92771800-1358769522_thumb.jpost-16459-0-38520200-1358769572_thumb.j

Couple from the front and back gardens. Not measured it yet tho!

Think I live in Australia!! Lol

neer to turn the camera around lol

height makes so much difference in this cold spell to the depth of snow only a few cm on south coast here but the hills behind my house at only about 300 ft at least 6 inches which is for great sledging 'same for everywhere it seems

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

Light, fine snow continues here. The differences in snow cover even around town are marked. Much heavier cover up near the Sports Complex and School Aycliffe than at my house, and I'd imagine that the Cobblers estate will have more as well.

Had to go through Darlo this morning, and there is next to bog all there compared to my location.

Off out to Leeholme next, thats 500-600ft, there'll be much more there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Heavier snow now all seems to be north of the Tyne now, snow is a lot lighter and finer here too.

Hi Paul. I live in school Aycliffe and the roads on my estate are terrible. Main roads fine. Hoping for heavier stuff tonight from off the north sea :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Light, fine snow continues here. The differences in snow cover even around town are marked. Much heavier cover up near the Sports Complex and School Aycliffe than at my house, and I'd imagine that the Cobblers estate will have more as well.

Had to go through Darlo this morning, and there is next to bog all there compared to my location.

Off out to Leeholme next, thats 500-600ft, there'll be much more there.

December 2010 will take some beating here for snowfall, I was in Shildon every Monday to Friday for 12 weeks from November 5th 2010 and during the December the snow was above my Rigger boots at Shildon train station

Posted

Anyone know why we didn't justify a red warning as snow totals here more than wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Anyone got a map of where the mild sector is in this system?

Posted

Eeeey it's alright here, snow coming down again. The traffic lights in particular look mint where the snow has been blown when falling into them and sticking on them and signs etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Keep sending what you don't want North :)

Realtime Satellite pic of the North Sea and East Coast just updated, looks like continued fun for some time..

post-7292-0-27050700-1358771938_thumb.jp

NMM model projections up until 2100 hrs. GIF Format.

post-7292-0-26231900-1358770860_thumb.gi

Enjoy the snow, looking forward to seeing some pictures later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Can we safely now say, apart from very wet slushy roads, we won't have any problems getting back to aycliffe from darlo in rush hour tonight? Or does anyone think ice might be an issue by then?

Thanks BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Anyone know why we didn't justify a red warning as snow totals here more than wales

Because we are northern and don't matter.