Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well its cloudy here again now after clear skies and lower temp, temps now climbed up to 2.1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal (and extremes!)

+0.4 just south of Macclesfield. Temp slowly rising and radar shows system in the midlands creeping Northwards. Hmmmmm

Posted

The ppn is still pretty heavy and moving quick when would and if would it reach the Southen parts of the north west?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow

Has any 1 noticed met updates are slowly delaying the forcasts ever so slightly to less cold and snow in to fri and sat . B4 it was very mild late friday after brief snow to rain

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Temp risen 1.3C. Feels a lot colder than that.

Pressure rising.

Does anyone else live in a stone house? We've had no decent warmth or sunshine for many months and just an awful lot of wet. The stone buildings need a good drying out and a warm up.

Currently, despite indoor heating, it's like living in an icebox. I've never known the cold penetrate indoors so much. . Smooth surfaces, specially if metal or wood -- even crockery and cutlery, doorknobs --- all feel painfully cold to the touch.

Was good to see some sunshine today . Rather weak though and didn't persuade the snowdrops to peep up yet.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Met office have just changed our forecast to light snow on the midnight and 3am forecast slots. Perhaps there's some hope?!?!

Posted

Eurgh....why is it so mild....2c....thought we was on course for a sub zero tonight. Sort yourself out freakist weather, this is supposed to be a cold spell! Anything from the south can stay there, because it will only be lightish snizzle if it reaches our parts. Want skies to clear and keep the snow cover going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temp is now falling again under clear skies at -0.5C an hour. Down to 1.4C after reaching 1.9C earlier. Humidity is 99% though, so whatever falls later is likely to be rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Friday we have double snow! Now thats an upgrade, there was no snow there for friday before http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/leyland#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1359072000

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Where is our heavy snow!! All these areas with heaps of the white stuff are either showing off or just being downright greedy if you ask me. I live in south Manchester and have watched virtually what seems to be every area in the Uk receive plenty of snow apart from us. Can anyone with any knowledge in this field please try and tell me why we seem to have been singled out and if there is just the smallest chance that in February we might be part of the gang as apposed to Billy no mates on the snow front!

Posted

Friday we have double snow! Now thats an upgrade, there was no snow there for friday before http://www.metoffice...Time=1359072000

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/oldham#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1359072000 extra 3hrs of double snow for me blum.gif...but it will all turn back to mucky slush by Saturday :(

Posted

Worth noting that the precip is MUCH stronger and way further north than the NMM (very high res model) modeled for this time frame.

Radar:

post-8895-0-19651200-1358891767_thumb.pn

VS

NMM:

post-8895-0-45842500-1358891782_thumb.pn

Posted

Worth noting that the precip is MUCH stronger and way further north than the NMM (very high res model) modeled for this time frame.

Radar:

post-8895-0-19651200-1358891767_thumb.pn

VS

NMM:

post-8895-0-45842500-1358891782_thumb.pn

I think the NAE has been the model to follow over the last week or so.

Seems to be a lot of doubt about how much snow there might be from Friday's breakdown front.

Posted

Just to add to my previous post - +2C with dp +0.2

If the ppn does make it this far then I expect a sleety mix at best at modest elevations, wet snow if there is any heavy ppn. I doubt I'll be staying up to find out.

Posted

I think the NAE has been the model to follow over the last week or so.

Seems to be a lot of doubt about how much snow there might be from Friday's breakdown front.

I generally don't look at the NAE after so much failed modeling before this cold spell, but yeah, it's performed very well during the past couple of weeks.

Wow, look how much that front is pepping up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The weather system just reached stoke-on-trent.

Posted

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Where is our heavy snow!! All these areas with heaps of the white stuff are either showing off or just being downright greedy if you ask me. I live in south Manchester and have watched virtually what seems to be every area in the Uk receive plenty of snow apart from us. Can anyone with any knowledge in this field please try and tell me why we seem to have been singled out and if there is just the smallest chance that in February we might be part of the gang as apposed to Billy no mates on the snow front!

I thought south Manchester did quite well from Friday's event?

Compared to the southern part of the region, Cumbria and N Lancashire in the main has been preety starved of any snow these last few days. We've had many flurries and very light dustings but nothing else. We are centrally located in the UK and I have noticed how often NW England, SW Scotland and NW Midlands for some reason in recent years have been preety poorly positioned for snow with exceptions (20 Dec 09 and 5 Jan 10 and also I think 20 Dec 10). We are sheltered from the worse excesses of easterlies and northeasterlies and northerlies unless there is an embedded trough or frontal feature. Southerly tracking lows are no good as for some reason they never manage to make it this far north. Attacks from the SW invariably result in a rapid thaw, or on occasion are forced to retreat back south as colder air from the NE digs in - just what we saw on Friday, or by the time fronts make it this far they have dissapated. We really need a potent NW/NNW arctic flow, polar lows which are very rare, or battleground situations with fronts aligned on a NW-SE position stalling in situ a la early Feb 96 to guarantee a decent snow event. Even better low pressure tracking over the midlands and being forced to move southwards, or a low pressure moving down across the region from the NW with polar northerlies behind - but systems hardly ever seem to follow such tracks.